billb

Default regarding alcohol

does the yeast make it or does the yeast make an enzyme that makes
it.

I seem to see both concepts advanced as true.

what's the truth?

--
billb
Someplace between apathy and anarchy is the stance of the thinking

MikeMTM

billb wrote:
> does the yeast make it or does the yeast make an enzyme that makes
> it.
>
> I seem to see both concepts advanced as true.
>
> what's the truth?

Bilb,

I think it was a chemist named Büchner who found out looong time ago
that enzymes, not whole live cells, are the actual agent of the
fermentation process, although the cells are the source of the enzymes.
In fact, the very word "enzyme" means something like "In the yeast".

--

Mike MTM, Cokesbury, New Jersey, USA

Ray

You are splitting hairs. Yeast break sugar down as a food source and the
end result is energy for the yeast, CO2 for the atmosphere, and alcohol for
us. Of course yeast use enzymes as part of the reaction that splits the
sugar.

Ray

"billb" > wrote in message
> does the yeast make it or does the yeast make an enzyme that makes
> it.
>
> I seem to see both concepts advanced as true.
>
> what's the truth?
>
> --
> billb
> Someplace between apathy and anarchy is the stance of the thinking
> human being

Billstein

Its probably easier to go buy yeast then going to the store and asking for
enzymes.Who knows what you'll get..
And thats the twooth

"Ray" > wrote in message
m...
> You are splitting hairs. Yeast break sugar down as a food source and the
> end result is energy for the yeast, CO2 for the atmosphere, and alcohol

for
> us. Of course yeast use enzymes as part of the reaction that splits the
> sugar.
>
> Ray
>
> "billb" > wrote in message
> > does the yeast make it or does the yeast make an enzyme that makes
> > it.
> >
> > I seem to see both concepts advanced as true.
> >
> > what's the truth?
> >
> > --
> > billb
> > Someplace between apathy and anarchy is the stance of the thinking
> > human being

billb

> You are splitting hairs. Yeast break sugar down as a food source
and the

well, I thought maybe the enzymes were the excrement of the yeast and
they floated around making alcohol. in retrospect, yeah that doesn't
make a whole lot of sense either, but hey............I hadda ask.

--
billb
Someplace between apathy and anarchy is the stance of the thinking
human being

Bart van Herk

>well, I thought maybe the enzymes were the excrement of the yeast and
they floated around making alcohol. <

no, the enzymes do the actual work but they are part of the content of the
yeast cells.

--
groeten van Bart

Joe Blow

"billb" > wrote in message
> > You are splitting hairs. Yeast break sugar down as a food source

> and the
>
> well, I thought maybe the enzymes were the excrement of the yeast and
> they floated around making alcohol. in retrospect, yeah that doesn't
> make a whole lot of sense either, but hey............I hadda ask.
>

> --

Somebody once explained to me that beer is the waste product of yeast.
Basically they eat sugar and pis* out beer.... Hasn't stopped me from
drinking it though.

I bet if you looked on google you probably could find a detailed explanation
of it. IF you do please post the URL.

Nick Landau

The yeast make several enzymes that are required for the conversion of
sugar to alcohol. Yeast, like all living things, are composed of
biological molecules, including enzymes. So, the enzymes catalyze the
reactions, but the enzymes are part of the yeast. Its kind of like
asking "do fireflies glow, or is it just a chemical in their tales?" It
is the philosopher's false dilemma: both are true.

billb wrote:
> does the yeast make it or does the yeast make an enzyme that makes
> it.
>
> I seem to see both concepts advanced as true.
>
> what's the truth?

tea v. alcohol Natarajan Krishnaswami[_3_] Tea 4 01-12-2010 08:55 AM
tea and alcohol in the mix SN Tea 9 21-11-2007 03:51 PM
Alcohol zek Beer 5 10-06-2006 11:20 AM
Alcohol Sheldon General Cooking 3 08-09-2005 02:21 PM
besides alcohol billb Winemaking 8 09-06-2004 06:04 PM