Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default tea v. alcohol

Browsing pubmed to put off going to work, I came across this abstract:
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16141543>

"On the 1st hour after ethanol administration, the ethanol
concentrations in blood of the theanine combined groups
decreased compared with the ethanol-alone group. The alcohol
dehydrogenase and aldehyde dehydrogenase activities in the
liver increased by combined theanine."

Those two enzymes turn alcohol into (more toxic) acetaldehyde, and
acetaldehyde into (non-toxic) acetic acid. So if this is true, its
seems to corroborate the anecdotes posted here about tea after
drinking helping folks sober up.

Enjoy,
N.
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Natarajan Krishnaswami > writes:

>Browsing pubmed to put off going to work, I came across this abstract:
> <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16141543>
>
> "On the 1st hour after ethanol administration, the ethanol
> concentrations in blood of the theanine combined groups
> decreased compared with the ethanol-alone group. The alcohol
> dehydrogenase and aldehyde dehydrogenase activities in the
> liver increased by combined theanine."
>
>Those two enzymes turn alcohol into (more toxic) acetaldehyde, and
>acetaldehyde into (non-toxic) acetic acid. So if this is true, its
>seems to corroborate the anecdotes posted here about tea after
>drinking helping folks sober up.

Is acetaldehyde anything to worry about?

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Lewis Perin > wrote:
>Natarajan Krishnaswami > writes:
>>Browsing pubmed to put off going to work, I came across this abstract:
>> <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16141543>
>>
>> "On the 1st hour after ethanol administration, the ethanol
>> concentrations in blood of the theanine combined groups
>> decreased compared with the ethanol-alone group. The alcohol
>> dehydrogenase and aldehyde dehydrogenase activities in the
>> liver increased by combined theanine."
>>
>>Those two enzymes turn alcohol into (more toxic) acetaldehyde, and
>>acetaldehyde into (non-toxic) acetic acid. So if this is true, its
>>seems to corroborate the anecdotes posted here about tea after
>>drinking helping folks sober up.

>Is acetaldehyde anything to worry about?

It is, and if you drink a whole lot, like my roommate in college did, it
will build up in your body and be excreted through the pores, causing a
very unpleasant but very distinct body odor.
--scott

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On 2010-09-17, Lewis Perin > wrote:
> Is acetaldehyde anything to worry about?

Those two enzymes are the main pair for the liver's metabolizing
alcohol, so tea probably doesn't increase risk from acetaldehyde since
it's rendered harmless faster. (Unless that translates into drinking
more. )

But yes, acetaldehyde's nasty stuff. Short term toxicity, think
hangover symptoms. Carcinogenic, hepatotoxic, etc., with ongoing
exposure.

N.
Member

To like add some more to the adverse effect of acetaldehyde. Elevated acetaldehyde cause increased flushing, tachycardia (elevated heart rate), nausea (urge to vomit), vomiting & hyperventilation.

tea and alcohol in the mix SN Tea 9 21-11-2007 03:51 PM
Alcohol zek Beer 5 10-06-2006 11:20 AM
Alcohol Sheldon General Cooking 3 08-09-2005 02:21 PM
regarding alcohol billb Winemaking 7 11-07-2004 06:48 AM
besides alcohol billb Winemaking 8 09-06-2004 06:04 PM