Joe

Default screw cap bottles

I have some really nice screw cap bottles from scotch and tequilla.
They're definitley not traditional wine bottles, but very nice
bottles anyway, so I want to use a few for some wine.

Has anyone else done this, and are these type of screw caps good for
long term storage (3 years max)? The caps all seem in good shape, I
guess I'm just a little paranoid about using them.

--
Joe
http://www.joekaz.net/

Larry Meeusen

"Joe" > wrote in message

> I have some really nice screw cap bottles from scotch and tequilla.
> They're definitley not traditional wine bottles, but very nice
> bottles anyway, so I want to use a few for some wine.
>
> Has anyone else done this, and are these type of screw caps good for
> long term storage (3 years max)? The caps all seem in good shape, I
> guess I'm just a little paranoid about using them.

You will probably get several comments from "tradionalist" who think
only corks should be used for wine, but I have been using (and reusing)
screw caps for over 30 years and have had wonderful experience. And Yes,
I store wine for many years that way, opened one last week that was 10
years old and it aged just fine. Many commericial wines are now being
offered with screw caps as studies are proving them to be very effective
and providing the bonus of not risking "corked" wine. Go for it!
Larry

A.J. Rawls

I use them a lot... I have never had a problem

A. J. Rawls
Anchorage, Alaska, USA

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 19:38:46 -0400, Joe > wrote:

>I have some really nice screw cap bottles from scotch and tequilla.
> They're definitley not traditional wine bottles, but very nice
>bottles anyway, so I want to use a few for some wine.
>
>Has anyone else done this, and are these type of screw caps good for
>long term storage (3 years max)? The caps all seem in good shape, I
>guess I'm just a little paranoid about using them.

Alfonse

Joe,
You have to look at the inside of the screw top to make sure that it will
seal properly. If it does, then there's no reason not to use them. I've got
a few bottles that I've set aside for aging that are in fancy liquor
bottles. I usually try to fit a cork in the bottle before using the screw
top just to be on the safe side.
Al
"Joe" > wrote in message
> I have some really nice screw cap bottles from scotch and tequilla.
> They're definitley not traditional wine bottles, but very nice
> bottles anyway, so I want to use a few for some wine.
>
> Has anyone else done this, and are these type of screw caps good for
> long term storage (3 years max)? The caps all seem in good shape, I
> guess I'm just a little paranoid about using them.
>

> --
> Joe
> http://www.joekaz.net/
> http://www.cafeshops.com/joekaz

Larry Meeusen

"Alfonse" > wrote in message

> Joe,
> You have to look at the inside of the screw top to make sure that it will
> seal properly. If it does, then there's no reason not to use them. I've got
> a few bottles that I've set aside for aging that are in fancy liquor
> bottles. I usually try to fit a cork in the bottle before using the screw
> top just to be on the safe side.

If you are in doubt about the ability of the screw cap to seal tightly,
first fill the bottle with water, cap and let it stand upside down for
24 hours and see if it leaks. If no water cames out, it is sealed and
air won't leak in>
Larry

Ray

A more stringent test would be to half fill the bottle with hot water, shake
it good, then cap it and stand it up for 24 hours. Shaking before capping
will heat the air space. As it cool and the hot air and liquid contract it
will create a fair pressure. If the cap will hold this pressure it should
be sealing well. After all, with wine, you are more interested in keeping
oxidizing air out than wine in. And gas will get through a space that water
will have great trouble getting through.

Ray

"Larry Meeusen" > wrote in message
news:8552bd3e6076a941816e558c44ce1987.24260@mygate .mailgate.org...
> "Alfonse" > wrote in message
>

> > Joe,
> > You have to look at the inside of the screw top to make sure that it

will
> > seal properly. If it does, then there's no reason not to use them. I've

got
> > a few bottles that I've set aside for aging that are in fancy liquor
> > bottles. I usually try to fit a cork in the bottle before using the

screw
> > top just to be on the safe side.

> If you are in doubt about the ability of the screw cap to seal tightly,
> first fill the bottle with water, cap and let it stand upside down for
> 24 hours and see if it leaks. If no water cames out, it is sealed and
> air won't leak in>
> Larry

Don S

> If you are in doubt about the ability of the screw cap to seal tightly,
> first fill the bottle with water, cap and let it stand upside down for
> 24 hours and see if it leaks. If no water cames out, it is sealed and
> air won't leak in>

You could also add some vinegar and baking sode to the bottle
and then cap it. A slight dip in some soapy water will quickly
show bubbles if there is a leak.

I've been considering using some whiskey bottles for wine for
some time now and think I will give it a try for the next carboy.

Don
Andy j.

Hi...even better than all this fun stuff....try your local wine/brew
shop and see if they have any new screw caps for sale.....most bottles
are universal fit i believe....save time and energy i say.....andy j.