Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Re-using screw topped bottles?

just started making my own wine and am wondering if it would be ok to re-use
some screw topped bottles i have.?

Paul.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

I do not see any problem to re-use screw top bottles. Providing that the
bottles and caps are cleaned, sterilized as per accepted wine bottling
procedures. It is better to use screw top bottles instead of poor quality
corks.

"Paul" > wrote in message
> just started making my own wine and am wondering if it would be ok to
> re-use some screw topped bottles i have.?
>
> Paul.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

I haven't found a screw topped bottle that will keep it's seal when I
try to reuse it. Are you talking about wine bottles with screw tops?
That's what I used. Maybe the machines that put the original screw top
on makes a seal. Anyways, I put the bottles sideways and within a week
they leaked, not much, but I had red around the rims.

Maybe I just had bad luck. But that's my 2 cents. I hope to learn from
this thread, as more and more bottles are coming out with screw tops, I
will have no choice but to figure out how to re-use them, or face
purchasing all my bottles (NO!!!).

DAve

Paul wrote:
> just started making my own wine and am wondering if it would be ok to re-use
> some screw topped bottles i have.?
>
> Paul.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

I do it all of the time with no problem....

Later,
A.J.

On Mon, 9 Oct 2006 18:46:57 +0100, "Paul" > wrote:

>just started making my own wine and am wondering if it would be ok to re-use
>some screw topped bottles i have.?
>
>Paul.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Presque Isle sells a plastic screw cap that works well and is supposed
to be reusable. It has a poly liner that looks looks a dimple; it's
not a paper or Styrofoam seal that gets crushed which probably does
make that style harder to reseal.

Keep in mind there are different thread pitches, these don't fit all
bottles.

Here is the link; I use them for give away vinegar with no issues

http://shop.piwine.com/shopsite/prwc/product140.html

I'm sure they are available in Canada too.

Joe

Dave Allison wrote:
> I haven't found a screw topped bottle that will keep it's seal when I
> try to reuse it. Are you talking about wine bottles with screw tops?
> That's what I used. Maybe the machines that put the original screw top
> on makes a seal. Anyways, I put the bottles sideways and within a week
> they leaked, not much, but I had red around the rims.
>
> Maybe I just had bad luck. But that's my 2 cents. I hope to learn from
> this thread, as more and more bottles are coming out with screw tops, I
> will have no choice but to figure out how to re-use them, or face
> purchasing all my bottles (NO!!!).
>

> DAve
>
> Paul wrote:
> > just started making my own wine and am wondering if it would be ok to re-use
> > some screw topped bottles i have.?
> >
> > Paul.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

wow. I learn all the time here. I'll check out the plastic screw caps.
Though I am not ready to give away my cork-screw, I like the fun of
removing a cork. But for fruit wines, I'd be willing to do screw caps.
DAve

Joe Sallustio wrote:
> Presque Isle sells a plastic screw cap that works well and is supposed
> to be reusable. It has a poly liner that looks looks a dimple; it's
> not a paper or Styrofoam seal that gets crushed which probably does
> make that style harder to reseal.
>
> Keep in mind there are different thread pitches, these don't fit all
> bottles.
>
> Here is the link; I use them for give away vinegar with no issues
>
> http://shop.piwine.com/shopsite/prwc/product140.html
>
> I'm sure they are available in Canada too.
>
> Joe
>
> Dave Allison wrote:
>> I haven't found a screw topped bottle that will keep it's seal when I
>> try to reuse it. Are you talking about wine bottles with screw tops?
>> That's what I used. Maybe the machines that put the original screw top
>> on makes a seal. Anyways, I put the bottles sideways and within a week
>> they leaked, not much, but I had red around the rims.
>>
>> Maybe I just had bad luck. But that's my 2 cents. I hope to learn from
>> this thread, as more and more bottles are coming out with screw tops, I
>> will have no choice but to figure out how to re-use them, or face
>> purchasing all my bottles (NO!!!).
>>

>> DAve
>>
>> Paul wrote:
>>> just started making my own wine and am wondering if it would be ok to re-use
>>> some screw topped bottles i have.?
>>>
>>> Paul.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Have any of you tried mylar bags? I've used them for wine I'm not
planning to age. It makes a great way to draw a glass without opening a
bottle - though I've never had a problem emptying the bottle.

Dave Allison wrote:
> wow. I learn all the time here. I'll check out the plastic screw caps.
> Though I am not ready to give away my cork-screw, I like the fun of
> removing a cork. But for fruit wines, I'd be willing to do screw caps.
> DAve
>
> Joe Sallustio wrote:
> > Presque Isle sells a plastic screw cap that works well and is supposed
> > to be reusable. It has a poly liner that looks looks a dimple; it's
> > not a paper or Styrofoam seal that gets crushed which probably does
> > make that style harder to reseal.
> >
> > Keep in mind there are different thread pitches, these don't fit all
> > bottles.
> >
> > Here is the link; I use them for give away vinegar with no issues
> >
> > http://shop.piwine.com/shopsite/prwc/product140.html
> >
> > I'm sure they are available in Canada too.
> >
> > Joe
> >
> > Dave Allison wrote:
> >> I haven't found a screw topped bottle that will keep it's seal when I
> >> try to reuse it. Are you talking about wine bottles with screw tops?
> >> That's what I used. Maybe the machines that put the original screw top
> >> on makes a seal. Anyways, I put the bottles sideways and within a week
> >> they leaked, not much, but I had red around the rims.
> >>
> >> Maybe I just had bad luck. But that's my 2 cents. I hope to learn from
> >> this thread, as more and more bottles are coming out with screw tops, I
> >> will have no choice but to figure out how to re-use them, or face
> >> purchasing all my bottles (NO!!!).
> >>

> >> DAve

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Me too. I just cork them like any non-screw top bottle.

Steve

A. J. Rawls wrote:
> I do it all of the time with no problem....
>
> Later,
> A.J.
>
> On Mon, 9 Oct 2006 18:46:57 +0100, "Paul" > wrote:
>
>> just started making my own wine and am wondering if it would be ok to re-use
>> some screw topped bottles i have.?
>>
>> Paul.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

I don't know what a mylar bag is... I Froogled it and can't find any
that seal.. can you point to what you mean on the internet? Interesting
idea.

DAve

wrote:
> Have any of you tried mylar bags? I've used them for wine I'm not
> planning to age. It makes a great way to draw a glass without opening a
> bottle - though I've never had a problem emptying the bottle.
>

> Dave Allison wrote:
>> wow. I learn all the time here. I'll check out the plastic screw caps.
>> Though I am not ready to give away my cork-screw, I like the fun of
>> removing a cork. But for fruit wines, I'd be willing to do screw caps.
>> DAve
>>
>> Joe Sallustio wrote:
>>> Presque Isle sells a plastic screw cap that works well and is supposed
>>> to be reusable. It has a poly liner that looks looks a dimple; it's
>>> not a paper or Styrofoam seal that gets crushed which probably does
>>> make that style harder to reseal.
>>>
>>> Keep in mind there are different thread pitches, these don't fit all
>>> bottles.
>>>
>>> Here is the link; I use them for give away vinegar with no issues

http://shop.piwine.com/shopsite/prwc/product140.html

>>> I'm sure they are available in Canada too.
>>>
>>> Joe

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Joe,

I use these (you mentioned) frequently in the gallon and "fifth"
sizes. They work quite well as long as you line them up just right,
it is easy to "misthread" them. I use the gallon to bulk age if I
need carboys.

They work fine on gallon carlo rossi bottles, and most liquor bottles.
Some of the wine bottles with aluminum screw caps have a different
pitch, but these work nice.

Greg, Erie, PA

On 10 Oct 2006 06:33:31 -0700, "Joe Sallustio" >
wrote:

>Presque Isle sells a plastic screw cap that works well and is supposed
>to be reusable. It has a poly liner that looks looks a dimple; it's
>not a paper or Styrofoam seal that gets crushed which probably does
>make that style harder to reseal.
>
>Keep in mind there are different thread pitches, these don't fit all
>bottles.
>
>Here is the link; I use them for give away vinegar with no issues
>
>http://shop.piwine.com/shopsite/prwc/product140.html
>
>I'm sure they are available in Canada too.
>
>Joe
>
>Dave Allison wrote:
>> I haven't found a screw topped bottle that will keep it's seal when I
>> try to reuse it. Are you talking about wine bottles with screw tops?
>> That's what I used. Maybe the machines that put the original screw top
>> on makes a seal. Anyways, I put the bottles sideways and within a week
>> they leaked, not much, but I had red around the rims.
>>
>> Maybe I just had bad luck. But that's my 2 cents. I hope to learn from
>> this thread, as more and more bottles are coming out with screw tops, I
>> will have no choice but to figure out how to re-use them, or face
>> purchasing all my bottles (NO!!!).
>>

>> DAve
>>
>> Paul wrote:
>> > just started making my own wine and am wondering if it would be ok to re-use
>> > some screw topped bottles i have.?
>> >
>> > Paul.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

wrote:

>Presque Isle sells a plastic screw cap that works well and is supposed
>to be reusable. It has a poly liner that looks looks a dimple; it's
>not a paper or Styrofoam seal that gets crushed which probably does
>make that style harder to reseal.
>
>Keep in mind there are different thread pitches, these don't fit all
>bottles.

These are called Polyseal caps. However, they fit very few screwtop
wine bottles. They fit Arbor Mist wine bottles (at least the last one
I bought probably about 5 years ago). They fit many liquor bottles.

I suspect that any testing of wine under screw cap was NOT done with
this style of cap. Regardless, probably good for 'shorter' storage.

Steve