Old 06-04-2004, 07:01 AM
Oberon

Default Disgorging, and brine composition

Greetings,

I'm about to embark on my first attempt at disgorging. I've read a great
many references to help me settle my nerves. I consider this my last chance
to ruin what was at first a wonderful chardonnay, even if lacking completely
the oak character that I enjoy, and then a tasty, if cloudy, champaign.
Wish me luck that I blow my chance...

What I haven't been able to find in any reference is any mention of the
quantities of salt and water used to make the brine solution the necks will
be frozen in. Not a single web site, magazine, pamphlet, or book has
ventured into a discussion of salt/water ratios. Not being a chemist, I
have only the layman's knowledge that water with sufficient dissolved solids
will remain liquid at a temperature below the freezing point. And I must
assume that the ice I'll be purchasing at the local convenience store will
be a decent amount cooler than, say, 30f, so that it'll be able to bring my
brine solution enough below freezing to do it's trick and freeze the
champaign in the necks of my bottles. But it would give me a great deal of
piece of mind to be able to find someone, somewhere, who could say "I've
used a brine solution of 4 lbs salt in 4 gallons of water. Added 10 lbs of
ice, and it worked great!"

Any tips from those who have managed this franky rather daunting task for
the home winemaker will be greatly appreciated!

--
Cheers,
Ken

Old 06-04-2004, 09:44 AM
Stephen SG

Try this, they may be able to give you direction.

[email protected]
tdd-grilliat.com

Old 13-04-2004, 12:51 AM
Clyde Gill

That sounds promising. If you have a very cold freezer, you could
probably go with just the alcohol unless you were handling a lot of
bottles.

Andy

The total will be about 1000 bottles. We will probably do a limited
amount of disgorging at first. Would be nice to knock out a majority
of them in one swat. If it's not already obvious, this is our first
try at methode' champagnoise. Though I'm versed at the process from
doing it at another winery, they had some decent equipment. So, much
like the rest of my winemaking, we have to make do for now.

Among the 'junk' that was here when we arrived was what I'm thinking
must be a rack to hold the inverted champagne bottles into the ice:

http://peacefulbend.com/test/images/disgorgerack.jpg

I'm pretty sure that this came from an old Catholic Seminary in St.
Louis called St. Stanislaus. It can hold four cases at a time, so I
can imagine that the necks would freeze in that amount of time. We'll
place the riddled bottles into a chest freezer before starting the
operation to get the wine temp as close to freezing as feasible. This
alone will limit the volume we can disgorge at a time, but there's no
real hurry for this wine. It's more for fun than profit.

clyde
Steelville, Missouri, USofA
http://www.PeacefulBend.com

Disgorging [email protected] Winemaking 1 04-01-2016 03:58 AM
Composition Tom Kunich Winemaking 0 10-11-2011 10:46 PM
Tenderquick composition Reg Preserving 2 02-12-2005 01:06 AM
Pork Shoulder - To Brine Or Not To Brine ... fatsam Barbecue 10 17-09-2004 04:51 PM
Disgorging, and brine composition Ben Rotter Winemaking 5 08-04-2004 03:30 PM