Posted to rec.food.preserving
Reg

Default Tenderquick composition

I recently emailed Morton for some details on the exact
composition of TQ. Here's their response to my question.

BEGIN RESPONSE -------------------------------------
Tender Quick is a proprietary formula. Tender Quick
contains approximately 97% salt.
END RESPONSE ---------------------------------------

Ok. Proprietary formula or not, if we plug in the other
ingredient amounts from the label we can come pretty close
to an exact breakdown of ingredients.

Salt 97.0%
Sugar Unknown
Propylene Glycol Unknown
Sodium Nitrite 0.5%
Sodium Nitrate 0.5%

So, we can conclude that TQ contains a maximum of 2%
sugar, along with the other known ingredients. The
Propylene Glycol is "generally recognized as safe" by
the FDA for use as a food additive. My assumption is
it's there as a humectant to maintain pourability.

So there you have it. I must admit I don't understand
why they feel the need to call it a proprietary formula
when it can be determined by simple arithmetic. Big
Companies are strange creatures.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Yes, but the common "red salt" has more nitrate, less nitrite, I
believe.'

Anybody know the common composition?

Composition Tom Kunich Winemaking 0 10-11-2011 09:46 PM
the Database's food composition analysis? blair General Cooking 0 15-04-2010 03:33 AM
Morton Tenderquick... Pete C. Preserving 30 25-11-2005 03:13 PM
Disgorging, and brine composition Oberon Winemaking 6 13-04-2004 12:51 AM
Disgorging, and brine composition Ben Rotter Winemaking 5 08-04-2004 03:30 PM