Jethro

Default Rancid smell

I have a 5 gallon batch of strawberry wine fermenting in my kitchen right
now. I got the recipe off Jack Keller's site. It has been fermenting for
two days now and the airlock is really ripping fast. It is giving off a
smell that is not pleasant, my guess is that it is normal but my wife is
concerned because it is kind of rancid. Anyone know what is normal?

Tom S

"Jethro" > wrote in message
> I have a 5 gallon batch of strawberry wine fermenting in my kitchen right
> now. I got the recipe off Jack Keller's site. It has been fermenting for
> two days now and the airlock is really ripping fast. It is giving off a
> smell that is not pleasant, my guess is that it is normal but my wife is
> concerned because it is kind of rancid. Anyone know what is normal?

A better question is, "what is _not_ normal?"

If it smells like rotten eggs, you have a problem. If not, it probably just
smells yeasty/fruity and all's well.

Adding a bit of yeast nutrient and/or diammonium phosphate while it's still
fermenting will often get rid of the rotten egg smell.

Tom S

Greg Cook

On 3/27/04 9:09 AM, in article lOg9c.36038$cx5.18534@fed1read04, "Jethro"
> wrote:

> I have a 5 gallon batch of strawberry wine fermenting in my kitchen right
> now. I got the recipe off Jack Keller's site. It has been fermenting for
> two days now and the airlock is really ripping fast. It is giving off a
> smell that is not pleasant, my guess is that it is normal but my wife is
> concerned because it is kind of rancid. Anyone know what is normal?

I find that fermenting strawberry tends to smell a bit strange. They usually
turn out fine in the end. I wonder if there are some aromas from the
strawberry that get blown off during active fermentation that just don't
smell good.

--
Greg Cook
http://homepage.mac.com/gregcook/Wine

(remove spamblocker from my email)

Ray

A lot of fruit wines and white gape wines have some off smells that I do not
care for up until they have been racked several times. But I would not
generally describe them as rancid. If you are new to wine making it may
just be inexperience. People have trouble describing new smells.

Ray

"Jethro" > wrote in message
> I have a 5 gallon batch of strawberry wine fermenting in my kitchen right
> now. I got the recipe off Jack Keller's site. It has been fermenting for
> two days now and the airlock is really ripping fast. It is giving off a
> smell that is not pleasant, my guess is that it is normal but my wife is
> concerned because it is kind of rancid. Anyone know what is normal?

Dar V

I agree with Ray. I have noticed some odd smells coming from my fruit wines
too, during the vigorous part of fermentation; however, they usually don't
stay around long, and then I get this nice fruity smell. If the smell
sticks then I might be worried, but it usually changes to something else,
then I don't usually worry.
Darlene

"Ray" > wrote in message
> A lot of fruit wines and white gape wines have some off smells that I do

not
> care for up until they have been racked several times. But I would not
> generally describe them as rancid. If you are new to wine making it may
> just be inexperience. People have trouble describing new smells.
>
> Ray
>
> "Jethro" > wrote in message
> > I have a 5 gallon batch of strawberry wine fermenting in my kitchen

right
> > now. I got the recipe off Jack Keller's site. It has been fermenting

for
> > two days now and the airlock is really ripping fast. It is giving off a
> > smell that is not pleasant, my guess is that it is normal but my wife is
> > concerned because it is kind of rancid. Anyone know what is normal?

Rancid Cooking Oil??? stark General Cooking 6 25-05-2007 08:25 PM
Vinegar - does it become rancid with age ? amber Preserving 11 29-06-2005 04:46 PM
what is that smell billb Winemaking 14 18-06-2004 11:24 PM
bad (rancid) cooking oil 411 mm General Cooking 4 17-02-2004 06:13 PM
Gas Smell Chip Barbecue 9 01-12-2003 01:15 PM