Chip

Default Gas Smell

Hi,

I recently had a BBQ island built with a Viking grill and Capital side
burners. My brother said that there is a slight smell of gas when the
tank is on, but the burners are closed. We called the builder and she
said that it was normal.

Is this true? We are concerned that there might be a leak in the
lines somewhere.

Thanks.
Mr. Wizard

"Chip" > wrote in message
m...
> Hi,
>
> I recently had a BBQ island built with a Viking grill and Capital side
> burners. My brother said that there is a slight smell of gas when the
> tank is on, but the burners are closed. We called the builder and she
> said that it was normal.
>
> Is this true? We are concerned that there might be a leak in the
> lines somewhere.
>
> Thanks.

I own a construction company and build BBQ islands and install grills.
There should be NO odor of gas when the burners are off.
There should be vents at ground level on opposite ends of the Island
to let gas leaks escape. If there are not, it is in violation of code and
is a VERY DANGEROUS situation. Call them and complain again.
Meanwhile; It could be as simple as not having the tank connection
tightened down enough or as complicated as a bad control valve.
Check the supply line and tank valve with soapy water to try and
expose the leak. Use an old paint brush to apply the soap solution
to the line and valve. If the leak cannot be found in the supply line,
disconnect the tank and turn it off until an expert can inspect it.
If the builder refuses to investigate the problem...
Call a local LP Gas provider and have them fix it and sue the builder
for the charges you incur.
Call whatever entity (city, county) that issued the building permit,
the BBB and the local Chamber of Commerce and write them letters
as well to complain.
--
His Wizardship,
Mr. Wizard

Edwin Pawlowski

"Chip" > wrote in message >
> I recently had a BBQ island built with a Viking grill and Capital side
> burners. My brother said that there is a slight smell of gas when the
> tank is on, but the burners are closed. We called the builder and she
> said that it was normal.
>
> Is this true? We are concerned that there might be a leak in the
> lines somewhere.
>
> Thanks.

No, it is NOT normal. Your builder is N U T S. Only time gas should smell
is when the burner is first opened and not lit for some reason. At any
other time, it is a leak. You don't want leaks, especially if the base is
enclosed. .

Check that the tank is properly connected for the first step. Perhaps it
did not seat properly when the line was put on. You can mix a soapy
solution and see if you get bubbles on the joints when you put the soap on.
It should be an easy fix.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

JasonW

"Chip" > wrote in message
m...
> Hi,
>
> I recently had a BBQ island built with a Viking grill and Capital side
> burners. My brother said that there is a slight smell of gas when the
> tank is on, but the burners are closed. We called the builder and she
> said that it was normal.
>
> Is this true? We are concerned that there might be a leak in the
> lines somewhere.
>
> Thanks.

Get him to put that in writing. Somehow I don't think he'll be inclined to
do so.
Get a professional to take a look at it.

-JasonW

Jim Bloomfield

I own a Viking and it does NOT smell like gas as you are
mentioning.Something has to be wrong.
"JasonW" > wrote in message
> "Chip" > wrote in message
> m...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I recently had a BBQ island built with a Viking grill and Capital side
> > burners. My brother said that there is a slight smell of gas when the
> > tank is on, but the burners are closed. We called the builder and she
> > said that it was normal.
> >
> > Is this true? We are concerned that there might be a leak in the
> > lines somewhere.
> >
> > Thanks.

> Get him to put that in writing. Somehow I don't think he'll be inclined to
> do so.
> Get a professional to take a look at it.
>
> -JasonW

Chip

Thanks.

The island does have vents on either side. I haven't looked at it
yet. My brother did, and chances are it is nothing. On any given
day, he smells something when nothing is there (a little paranoid, but
worth checking out).

I will look at it later today or tomorrow and sniff around and use
soapy water to see if indeed there is a gas leak.

Have you worked with Viking grills? Are they any good?

"Mr. Wizard" > wrote in message >...
> "Chip" > wrote in message
> m...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I recently had a BBQ island built with a Viking grill and Capital side
> > burners. My brother said that there is a slight smell of gas when the
> > tank is on, but the burners are closed. We called the builder and she
> > said that it was normal.
> >
> > Is this true? We are concerned that there might be a leak in the
> > lines somewhere.
> >
> > Thanks.

> I own a construction company and build BBQ islands and install grills.
> There should be NO odor of gas when the burners are off.
> There should be vents at ground level on opposite ends of the Island
> to let gas leaks escape. If there are not, it is in violation of code and
> is a VERY DANGEROUS situation. Call them and complain again.
> Meanwhile; It could be as simple as not having the tank connection
> tightened down enough or as complicated as a bad control valve.
> Check the supply line and tank valve with soapy water to try and
> expose the leak. Use an old paint brush to apply the soap solution
> to the line and valve. If the leak cannot be found in the supply line,
> disconnect the tank and turn it off until an expert can inspect it.
> If the builder refuses to investigate the problem...
> Call a local LP Gas provider and have them fix it and sue the builder
> for the charges you incur.
> Call whatever entity (city, county) that issued the building permit,
> the BBB and the local Chamber of Commerce and write them letters
> as well to complain.
> --
> His Wizardship,
> Mr. Wizard
> "They love the milk and honey but forget
> who bought it and what the price was."

> http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups
> ---= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

Mr. Wizard

"Chip" > wrote in message
om...
> Thanks.
>
> The island does have vents on either side. I haven't looked at it
> yet. My brother did, and chances are it is nothing. On any given
> day, he smells something when nothing is there (a little paranoid, but
> worth checking out).
>
> I will look at it later today or tomorrow and sniff around and use
> soapy water to see if indeed there is a gas leak.
>
> Have you worked with Viking grills? Are they any good?

They are very good but can go through the propane in a hurry.
Is your basic gas service LP or Natural gas?
How is the grill set-up, bottles or to your service?

Steve Calvin

>>I recently had a BBQ island built with a Viking grill and Capital side
>>burners. My brother said that there is a slight smell of gas when the
>>tank is on, but the burners are closed. We called the builder and she
>>said that it was normal.
>>
>>Is this true? We are concerned that there might be a leak in the
>>lines somewhere.
>>
>>Thanks.

No way that it's normal. If the gas is supplied by a utility company,
call them and tell them you suspece a gas leak. Legally the HAVE to
show up within an hour with a gas "sniffer" and check for leaks.
--
Steve

Chip

We will be using propane tanks. It was too expensive to get the gas
drawn from the house. Perhaps next year we will look at that.

I haven't had a chance to look at the grill yet myself. Holidays and
all...

"Mr. Wizard" > wrote in message >...
> "Chip" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Thanks.
> >
> > The island does have vents on either side. I haven't looked at it
> > yet. My brother did, and chances are it is nothing. On any given
> > day, he smells something when nothing is there (a little paranoid, but
> > worth checking out).
> >
> > I will look at it later today or tomorrow and sniff around and use
> > soapy water to see if indeed there is a gas leak.
> >
> > Have you worked with Viking grills? Are they any good?
> >

> They are very good but can go through the propane in a hurry.
> Is your basic gas service LP or Natural gas?
> How is the grill set-up, bottles or to your service?

> http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups
> ---= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

Mr. Wizard

"Chip" > wrote in message
m...
> We will be using propane tanks. It was too expensive to get the gas
> drawn from the house. Perhaps next year we will look at that.

If you do you will need to get a different set of orifices
for the valves. A minor inconvenience but you will be
happier grilling with natural gas. More BTU output.

The new tea smell Space Cowboy Tea 4 14-11-2009 11:19 PM
Smell VVizard Sourdough 9 20-01-2006 05:06 AM
So Near and yet So Far...(I could almost SMELL the que from 20,000 feet) Chef Juke Barbecue 11 29-10-2005 11:52 PM
Smell Roy Boy Winemaking 6 07-10-2005 09:37 PM
what is that smell billb Winemaking 14 18-06-2004 11:24 PM