mm

Default bad (rancid) cooking oil 411

Hi,

I--apparently--made the bone-headed manuever of using some rancid cooking
oil while making some waffles this morning. All day I have had the taste
leftover in my mouth, and my stomach has been a little disturbed. No
vomiting or otherwise, just a queasy feeling. It was too early for me to
notice the bad smell, and I didn't know that oil went bad....That bad
anyway!

Is there anything I should do? I tossed the oil and will smell any oil
before using it in the future. Should I expect worse, or after ten hours am
I safe to assume the worst is over?

Thanks for any help.

Bob (this one)

mm wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I--apparently--made the bone-headed manuever of using some rancid cooking
> oil while making some waffles this morning. All day I have had the taste
> leftover in my mouth, and my stomach has been a little disturbed. No
> vomiting or otherwise, just a queasy feeling. It was too early for me to
> notice the bad smell, and I didn't know that oil went bad....That bad
> anyway!
>
> Is there anything I should do? I tossed the oil and will smell any oil
> before using it in the future. Should I expect worse, or after ten hours am
> I safe to assume the worst is over?

Something else may have been at work. You can smell truly rancid oil
even if you're asleep. Rancidity won't generally make you sick. It's
not that kind of spoilage. Might look at your other ingredients while
you're at it.

Pastorio

-L.

"mm" > wrote in message >...
> Hi,
>
> I--apparently--made the bone-headed manuever of using some rancid cooking
> oil while making some waffles this morning. All day I have had the taste
> leftover in my mouth, and my stomach has been a little disturbed. No
> vomiting or otherwise, just a queasy feeling. It was too early for me to
> notice the bad smell, and I didn't know that oil went bad....That bad
> anyway!
>
> Is there anything I should do? I tossed the oil and will smell any oil
> before using it in the future. Should I expect worse, or after ten hours am
> I safe to assume the worst is over?
>
> Thanks for any help.

Probably ok if it has been 10 hours. Yuck. You have my sympathy!

-L.
kalanamak

"Bob (this one)" wrote:

> mm wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I--apparently--made the bone-headed manuever of using some rancid cooking
> > oil while making some waffles this morning. All day I have had the taste
> > leftover in my mouth, and my stomach has been a little disturbed.

> Something else may have been at work.

I vote for the placebo effect. Taste something manky and you think it'll
make you sick. The smell and taste part of our brains are very
"emotional", IMO.
blacksalt
big believer of the placebo effect, who despite all self-coaching,
*always* gets queasy the first time I take a new drug. Never after the
first time, just the first time.
mm

"kalanamak" > wrote in message
> I vote for the placebo effect. Taste something manky and you think it'll
> make you sick. The smell and taste part of our brains are very
> "emotional", IMO.
> blacksalt
> big believer of the placebo effect, who despite all self-coaching,
> *always* gets queasy the first time I take a new drug. Never after the
> first time, just the first time.

That's brilliant, except for the fact that two people experienced the same
problems. And it's Tuesday morning, and I can still smell remnants of that
bad oil in the kitchen! Thanks anyway...

For Sous Vide cooking: plastic pouch rolls tested for cooking, hitemp even John Kuthe[_3_] General Cooking 3 15-03-2016 05:33 AM
Rancid Cooking Oil??? stark General Cooking 6 25-05-2007 08:25 PM
Vinegar - does it become rancid with age ? amber Preserving 11 29-06-2005 04:46 PM
Rancid smell Jethro Winemaking 4 31-03-2004 12:31 AM
Cooking Tips: Selecting Ingredients in Chinese Cooking Nicholas Zhou Asian Cooking 0 28-10-2003 01:17 AM