LG1111

Default what to blend with Pinot Noir

I've always heard that pinot should stand by itself and not be blended.
Recently, I completed a batch of pinot from fresh grapes that turned out
chemically perfect. My only criticism is that it's a bit thin, and doesn't
have the body of a good cab. My knowledgeable friends tell me that this is the
way pinot should taste, but I still think it needs some oomph.

What grapes have you blended with pinot? I'm already planning next years
grapes.

Lee
Joe Giller

Lee,
I would leave it alone. Pinots should be fruity and a bit light. They
are not meant to compete with Cab or Merlot. They have a quality that
makes them Pinots and not cab or merlot pretenders. I think your
friends are right.

HTH,
Joe

Olwen Williams

LG1111 wrote:
> What grapes have you blended with pinot? I'm already planning next years
> grapes.
>
> Lee

Pinot Noir is one of the flagship grapes where I live. Some is made
into Methode Traditionelle often blended with chardonnay. But not many
blends using Pinot Noir. Did you use any oak? Pinot Noir needs light
oaking and fruity flavours.
Ray

If you prefer Cab's, next time make a Cab. But if your Pinot is as good as
you say, leave it alone. Use it as gifts for your friends who like it.

Ray

"LG1111" > wrote in message
> I've always heard that pinot should stand by itself and not be blended.
> Recently, I completed a batch of pinot from fresh grapes that turned out
> chemically perfect. My only criticism is that it's a bit thin, and

doesn't
> have the body of a good cab. My knowledgeable friends tell me that this

is the
> way pinot should taste, but I still think it needs some oomph.
>
> What grapes have you blended with pinot? I'm already planning next years
> grapes.
>
> Lee

Steve Waller

One of the wineries in the BC Okanagan blends Pnot Noir & Merlot. I
liked the sample in the winery. Haven't tried the bottle that I
bought yet. (Must dig it out <grin>)

Steve

Charles H

LG1111 wrote:

> I've always heard that pinot should stand by itself and not be blended.
> Recently, I completed a batch of pinot from fresh grapes that turned out
> chemically perfect. My only criticism is that it's a bit thin, and doesn't
> have the body of a good cab.

There are some wineries in Niagara that blend Pinot Noir with Baco
Noir... I don't think it's that great of a blend...

Did you age in oak and sur lie?

--
charles

"Once ... in the wilds of Afghanistan, I lost my corkscrew, and we were
forced to live on nothing but food and water for days."
- W.C. Fields
Patrick McDonald

I don't have any suggestions for what to try but personally I would leave
it.

I have a Pinot Merlot blend that was conjured up because the group I did
that wine with needed enough must to fill the bladder press. It is still
under oak (2002 vintage) and barrel tastings have shown it to be light and
have a VERY barnyard-y aroma. Not sure what the latter is due to but, hey,it
tastes like a nice, light Pinot with something I cannot quite detect -
probably something from the Merlot.

"Steve Waller" > wrote in message
> One of the wineries in the BC Okanagan blends Pnot Noir & Merlot. I
> liked the sample in the winery. Haven't tried the bottle that I
> bought yet. (Must dig it out <grin>)
>
> Steve

evilpaul13

"Very barnyardy"? Are you sure you don't have a Brettanomyces infection?

"Patrick McDonald" > wrote in message >...
> I don't have any suggestions for what to try but personally I would leave
> it.
>
> I have a Pinot Merlot blend that was conjured up because the group I did
> that wine with needed enough must to fill the bladder press. It is still
> under oak (2002 vintage) and barrel tastings have shown it to be light and
> have a VERY barnyard-y aroma. Not sure what the latter is due to but, hey,it
> tastes like a nice, light Pinot with something I cannot quite detect -
> probably something from the Merlot.
>
> "Steve Waller" > wrote in message
> > One of the wineries in the BC Okanagan blends Pnot Noir & Merlot. I
> > liked the sample in the winery. Haven't tried the bottle that I
> > bought yet. (Must dig it out <grin>)
> >
> > Steve

Patrick McDonald

Hmmmm, nope I don't know for sure. I guess really I would describe the aroma
as being like hay or something like that.

Any test to determine if I have a Brett infection?

"evilpaul13" > wrote in message
om...
> "Very barnyardy"? Are you sure you don't have a Brettanomyces infection?
>
> "Patrick McDonald" > wrote in

message >...
> > I don't have any suggestions for what to try but personally I would

leave
> > it.
> >
> > I have a Pinot Merlot blend that was conjured up because the group I did
> > that wine with needed enough must to fill the bladder press. It is still
> > under oak (2002 vintage) and barrel tastings have shown it to be light

and
> > have a VERY barnyard-y aroma. Not sure what the latter is due to but,

hey,it
> > tastes like a nice, light Pinot with something I cannot quite detect -
> > probably something from the Merlot.
> >
> > "Steve Waller" > wrote in

message
> > > One of the wineries in the BC Okanagan blends Pnot Noir & Merlot. I
> > > liked the sample in the winery. Haven't tried the bottle that I
> > > bought yet. (Must dig it out <grin>)
> > >
> > > Steve

Tom S

"Patrick McDonald" > wrote in
message ...
> Hmmmm, nope I don't know for sure. I guess really I would describe the

aroma
> as being like hay or something like that.
>
> Any test to determine if I have a Brett infection?

Yes, but I'd bet you don't want to spend what it would cost to have a lab
run a culture on your wine.

Tom S

Darwin Vander Stelt

I am growing some pinot in an area not particularly noted for producing
excellent pinots (although one local winery has made some excellent pinot),
and have been really amazed at how watery mine is, even with a 20% seigneur
etc. A discussion with a Williamette Valley (Oregon)consultant revealed that
that is a very common complaint with pinot, and it results from a
combination of hot summer weather and over cropping. Apparantly you really
have to keep the yield down in the vinyard (2 ton or so) if you want a
substantial wine. A Williamette Valley aquaintance dropped so much fruit in
his vineyard I wasn't sure it was moral.(Starving masses etc), but it has
to be done.

"Charles H" > wrote in message
> LG1111 wrote:
>
> > I've always heard that pinot should stand by itself and not be blended.
> > Recently, I completed a batch of pinot from fresh grapes that turned out
> > chemically perfect. My only criticism is that it's a bit thin, and

doesn't
> > have the body of a good cab.

> There are some wineries in Niagara that blend Pinot Noir with Baco
> Noir... I don't think it's that great of a blend...
>
> Did you age in oak and sur lie?
>
> --
> charles
>
> "Once ... in the wilds of Afghanistan, I lost my corkscrew, and we were
> forced to live on nothing but food and water for days."
> - W.C. Fields

Tim O'Connor

"Darwin Vander Stelt" > wrote in message
: I am growing some pinot in an area not particularly noted for producing
: excellent pinots (although one local winery has made some excellent
pinot),
: and have been really amazed at how watery mine is, even with a 20%
seigneur
: etc. A discussion with a Williamette Valley (Oregon)consultant revealed
that
: that is a very common complaint with pinot, and it results from a
: combination of hot summer weather and over cropping. Apparantly you really
: have to keep the yield down in the vinyard (2 ton or so) if you want a
: substantial wine. A Williamette Valley aquaintance dropped so much fruit
in
: his vineyard I wasn't sure it was moral.(Starving masses etc), but it has
: to be done.

Out of curiosity, what was the yield/acre of the grapes you used for your
wine?
Tim

Darwin Vander Stelt

On the pinot, probably equivalent to 6 ton/acre (entire vineyard is about a
half acre.) For premium pinot the wineries want it down to 2 or 2 1/2. We
had 22 days over 100 degrees last summer (a record).

"Tim O'Connor" > wrote in message
> "Darwin Vander Stelt" > wrote in message
> : I am growing some pinot in an area not particularly noted for producing
> : excellent pinots (although one local winery has made some excellent
> pinot),
> : and have been really amazed at how watery mine is, even with a 20%
> seigneur
> : etc. A discussion with a Williamette Valley (Oregon)consultant revealed
> that
> : that is a very common complaint with pinot, and it results from a
> : combination of hot summer weather and over cropping. Apparantly you

really
> : have to keep the yield down in the vinyard (2 ton or so) if you want a
> : substantial wine. A Williamette Valley aquaintance dropped so much fruit
> in
> : his vineyard I wasn't sure it was moral.(Starving masses etc), but it

has
> : to be done.
>
> Out of curiosity, what was the yield/acre of the grapes you used for your
> wine?
> Tim

Olwen Williams

That seems awfully hot to me. Pinot is a flagsip of this region, and it
would we would not have had 10 days over 90 in the current southern
heimsphere summer (which until February has been quite hot, but has now
turned wintery). I understood Pinot is really a cooler climate grape.

Pinot Noir aesthete8 Wine 6 11-12-2010 04:48 PM
Burgundy vs. Pinot Noir aesthete8 Wine 7 10-11-2009 12:19 PM
Best Pinot Noir within $40? Professor Wine 31 11-12-2006 02:22 AM
Pinot Noir Mike Winemaking 9 11-09-2004 12:45 AM
Pinot Noir ernie Winemaking 4 10-04-2004 10:08 PM