Joe Giller

Default teaspoon in grams of Copper Sulfate?

Anyone know what 1 teaspoon or tablespoon of copper sulfate is in grams?

Thanks,
Joe

Richard Kovach

Joe, my measurement done with my 1/4 teaspoon baking spoon and my
lab-grade fine-granule copper sulfate came out to about 4.5 grams per
teaspoon. But your results may vary -- I don't know how accurate my
1/4 teaspoon really is and I don't know if the granule size would make
any significant difference. I read in a cooking book somewhere that
cooking measure spoons can often be quite inaccurate, especially the
smaller ones.

It doesn't bother *me* that my 1/4 tsp measure may be inaccurate
because I just calibrated it against the weight so I know how many
grams I'm using whether the cheap plastic thing is actually 1/3 tsp or
1/5 tsp... But you need to consider that if my tsp was off on the
small size and yours is off on the large size, and you trust the value
I tell you, that you could end up with a stronger dose than you think.

Hopefully you'll get several responses who quote very similar values,
which *should* mean that they are all fairly accurate. Then you just
need a spoon of your own that you trust as accurate.

If we were talking about a more benign substance like K-metabisulfite,
I wouldn't worry about these issues, but with CuSO4 you want to be
pretty careful you don't exceed the recommended limits.

Good Luck!

Richard