Joe Giller

Default Copper Sulfate

Need to remove some H2S but I need to know how to make a 1% solution. I
have 1 oz of copper sulfate and need to know how much (preferrably in
teaspoons) to add to how much water to create a 1% solution. I am
thinking it should be 1gm / 1000 ml??? Any other advice would be
appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Joe

LG1111

Last year, I went to great lengths to mix up a copper sulfate solution, and it
pretty much did the trick. But this year, I got a faint whiff of H2S in a
couple of batches, and instead of using CuSO4, I took some copper sheets (the
kind that they sell in craft shops), cut them up into thin strips, and swooshed
them inside my carboy. I "think" I achieved the same results.

Lee
Ed Marks

Joe,

I think 10 mg in 1000 ml is a 1% solution. As far as how to measure
milligrams of copper sulfate in teaspoons, I have not idea.

Ed

"Joe Giller" > wrote in message
> Need to remove some H2S but I need to know how to make a 1% solution. I
> have 1 oz of copper sulfate and need to know how much (preferrably in
> teaspoons) to add to how much water to create a 1% solution. I am
> thinking it should be 1gm / 1000 ml??? Any other advice would be
> appreciated.
> Thanks in advance.
> Joe

MikeMTM

Joe,

Actually, I think it's 10 _grams_ per 1000 ml water to get a 1% soln. At
that rate, each ml of soln contains 10 mg of copper sulfate.

HTH, Mike MTM

David C Breeden

MikeMTM ) wrote:
>Joe,

>Actually, I think it's 10 _grams_ per 1000 ml water to get a 1% soln. At
>that rate, each ml of soln contains 10 mg of copper sulfate.

>HTH, Mike MTM

So I had always assumed that the percentage was in reference to
copper itself, rather than copper sulfate. As I remember, copper
makes up about 25% (maybe 50%, can't remember) of copper sulfate.
CuSO4 5H20 = 64 + 32 + 64 + 90 = 250, so yep, copper = 25% by
weight.

It seems to me you'd want to know the percent copper, rather than
the percent of extraneous non-reactive materials like water.

Dave
Dave Breeden

MikeMTM

Dave,

I think it has been found to be convenient, perhaps by empirical means
rather than by calculation, to use a simple 1% soln of copper sulfate
pentahydrate, where 150ml in 1000gal wine yields about 0.1mg/liter. My
(unimpeachable) reference for this is Lum's manual, pg 72. ;-) I guess
the fact that it's only really 25% Cu has already been taken into
account. But Margalit, in "Winery Technology & Operations", pg 151,
does speak of adding copper sulfate solution to get 0.05-0.5 ppm copper,
without mentioning volume, so I guess that would require further
calculation.
I like Lum's simpler way.

Regards, Mike MTM

David C Breeden

MikeMTM ) wrote:
>Dave,

>I think it has been found to be convenient, perhaps by empirical means
>rather than by calculation, to use a simple 1% soln of copper sulfate
>pentahydrate, where 150ml in 1000gal wine yields about 0.1mg/liter. My
>(unimpeachable) reference for this is Lum's manual, pg 72. ;-) I guess
>the fact that it's only really 25% Cu has already been taken into
>account. But Margalit, in "Winery Technology & Operations", pg 151,
>does speak of adding copper sulfate solution to get 0.05-0.5 ppm copper,
>without mentioning volume, so I guess that would require further
>calculation.
>I like Lum's simpler way.

>Regards, Mike MTM

My memory is of having a devil of a time converting between various
measures of copper sulfate, including Margalit's. I can't remember
why his was such a pain, but somehow it was.

I'm not sure exactly what you have in mind, though. 0.05 - 0.5 ppm
implicitly references volume, because it just means 0.05 -0.5
mg/liter.

Dave
Dave Breeden
MikeMTM

See if I have this about right:

From Lum's numbers,

150ml X 1%(1g CuSO4*5H2O/100ml) in 1,000gal

1.5g in 1,000gal

1.5g / 3800liters

..395g / 1000liters

..395g / 1,000,000g

..395ppm CuSO4*5H2O

Times .25, as you pointed out, for actual wt. Cu

..395ppm x .25 Cu in CuSO4*5H2O = .1ppm Cu dose

It seems to come out as expected, with the % composition of copper
factored in.

My stock bottle of 1% copper sulfate bears my note that .75ml soln in 5
gal wine gives 0.1ppm copper. I don't like to trust my calculations any
more often than I must.
> My memory is of having a devil of a time converting between various
> measures of copper sulfate, including Margalit's. I can't remember
> why his was such a pain, but somehow it was.
>
> I'm not sure exactly what you have in mind, though. 0.05 - 0.5 ppm
> implicitly references volume, because it just means 0.05 -0.5
> mg/liter.
>
> Dave
> ************************************************** **************************
> Dave Breeden

Tom S

"Joe Giller" > wrote in message
> Need to remove some H2S but I need to know how to make a 1% solution. I
> have 1 oz of copper sulfate and need to know how much (preferrably in
> teaspoons) to add to how much water to create a 1% solution. I am
> thinking it should be 1gm / 1000 ml???

1 gram diluted to100 ml = 1%

Tom S

Ed Marks

Tom and MikeMTM

You guys are right - I should have said gram and not milligram - I need to
read my spreadsheet column labels better the next time I respond. Thanks
for giving the correct information.

Ed

m...

Old copper pan koko General Cooking 35 10-06-2015 10:00 PM
Cleaning copper Nexis General Cooking 23 01-10-2008 10:06 PM
Copper cookware Ed Pawlowski Cooking Equipment 7 14-08-2008 04:35 PM
Copper cookware Edwin Pawlowski Cooking Equipment 7 11-08-2008 08:46 PM
teaspoon in grams of Copper Sulfate? Joe Giller Winemaking 1 13-01-2004 04:57 AM