Barry

Default Hydrometer != Brix

My Hydrometer reads 1.000 in water.
My Brix meter reads 0.00 in water.

Now, near the end of fermentation (only a few bubbles still rising),
my Hydrometer reads about 1.000 and my Brix meter reads about 10!!!!!

What's going on?

I'm still rather new to wine making and I don't understand what this
means.

Help!
Aaron Puhala

When you say "Brix Meter" are you talking about a refractometer?? If so,
the reading you are getting is quite normal. A refractometer is affected by
the refractive index of any dissolved materials, including alcohol. The
refractometer reading of 10 is simply picking up the affect of the alcohol.

CHEERS!

Aaron

"Barry" > wrote in message
om...
> My Hydrometer reads 1.000 in water.
> My Brix meter reads 0.00 in water.
>
> Now, near the end of fermentation (only a few bubbles still rising),
> my Hydrometer reads about 1.000 and my Brix meter reads about 10!!!!!
>
> What's going on?
>
> I'm still rather new to wine making and I don't understand what this
> means.
>
> Help!

Jonathan Acey Albert

I learned this the hard way, too...just see my "Stuck...a follow-up" post.
My refractometer only read 6, but the hydrometer is less than 1.000.

--
ACEY

Barry

"Aaron Puhala" > wrote in message >.. .
> When you say "Brix Meter" are you talking about a refractometer?? If so,
> the reading you are getting is quite normal. A refractometer is affected by
> the refractive index of any dissolved materials, including alcohol. The
> refractometer reading of 10 is simply picking up the affect of the alcohol.
>
> CHEERS!
>
> Aaron

Yes, the "Brix meter" is a Refractometer.

I liked how you can get a reading of sugar content (or so I thought)
with only a drop or so of liquid. Drawing out enough must to be able
to use a Hydrometer is kind of a pain and wasteful, unless you are
making a lot of wine. Lots more surface area to try to keep clean
too.

So... it sounds like value of taking a reading of the Brix gets less
and less informative as sugar is converted. I guees the Brix to
S.G./P.A. tables I've seen are only for the numbers I can get before I
pitch the yeast.

That certainly changes things. Based on Brix readings I was thinking
that fermentation had become stuck on this batch.

Thanks!
Tom S

"Barry" > wrote in message
om...
> My Hydrometer reads 1.000 in water.
> My Brix meter reads 0.00 in water.
>
> Now, near the end of fermentation (only a few bubbles still rising),
> my Hydrometer reads about 1.000 and my Brix meter reads about 10!!!!!
>
> What's going on?

Your "Brix meter" is only good for measuring the sugar level of juice. Once
the fermentation takes off the alcohol renders it useless. That's when you
start using your hydrometer.

Of course you should always use your palate for a sanity check. Eventually
you might get good enough at it to dispense with all your instrumentation!
:^)

Tom S

Ray

The refractometer is a great tool to take out into the vineyard to check the
grapes before they are picked. It is fine for checking the sugar in juice
to be used for making wine. It is not very good for checking the progress
of fermentation as you are finding out. A hydrometer is better for this but
it too has problems. Recently there were some posts where a correction
equation has been worked out that corrects the reading as fermentation
progresses so you can correct the refractometer reading to SG.

As far as using a hydrometer being a "pain and wasteful" .... I really do
not find it very difficult to dip out a cup of juice and surely you do not
throw it away! Just pour it back it. As far as keeping things clean, that
is kind of a given. You have to clean the hydrometer jar and hydrometer and
you have to clean what ever you get the drop out with to go in the
refractometer. I just rinse the jar an hydrometer immediately after using,
put the hydrometer back in the jar, add a little sulfite solution, seal it,
and then rinse it again before use. All part of the art of making wine.

Ray

"Barry" > wrote in message
om...
> "Aaron Puhala" > wrote in message

>.. .
> > When you say "Brix Meter" are you talking about a refractometer?? If

so,
> > the reading you are getting is quite normal. A refractometer is

affected by
> > the refractive index of any dissolved materials, including alcohol. The
> > refractometer reading of 10 is simply picking up the affect of the

alcohol.

> > CHEERS!
> >
> > Aaron
> >

> Yes, the "Brix meter" is a Refractometer.
>
> I liked how you can get a reading of sugar content (or so I thought)
> with only a drop or so of liquid. Drawing out enough must to be able
> to use a Hydrometer is kind of a pain and wasteful, unless you are
> making a lot of wine. Lots more surface area to try to keep clean
> too.
>
> So... it sounds like value of taking a reading of the Brix gets less
> and less informative as sugar is converted. I guees the Brix to
> S.G./P.A. tables I've seen are only for the numbers I can get before I
> pitch the yeast.
>
> That certainly changes things. Based on Brix readings I was thinking
> that fermentation had become stuck on this batch.
>
> Thanks!

Miker

Here's a link (you may have to copy and paste to your address bar) to
one of the recent discussions about refractometers. Be sure to take a
look at the post from David D near the end of the thread with the
Valley Vintner link before you decide your refractometer is useless
after fermentation begins.

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...s.wi nemaking

a hydrometer is not necessary? Tater Winemaking 13 20-03-2007 09:53 PM
Low Brix on Zin sgbrix Winemaking 3 13-10-2006 03:32 AM
why do I still have a cap when Brix is 0 [email protected] Winemaking 3 02-10-2006 06:28 PM
Brix 28.5? Stefan Mazur Winemaking 4 28-10-2004 02:12 PM
Brix Da' Bear Wine 6 12-11-2003 01:01 PM