Keith Courage

Default Problem with Blueberry Wine/I Think??/

I have a blueberry wine on and I am getting a white chaulk like ring on the
top of the bottle on the side. When I give the wine a little shake it
dissolves but it comes back again.The wine is about two weeks old and I am
in the second stage after getting rid of all the pulp. I have made this
several times and I have not run into this problem.Any advice?

---

J Dixon

Keith,
It may be a film yeast, but usually they coat the entire surface like
soap scum. To error on the safe side, remove as much of the substance as
possible with a spoon, paper towel etc. Top up the wine up to within around
an inch of the bottom of the stopper. Make sure the sulphite levels are up
where they belong, and if adding more sulphite then disolve it in a bit of
water and very slowly pour it into the carboy to concentrate it near the
surface where the potential problem is. Whatever you do, dont mix the gunk
back in, try to remove as much as possible. Could simply be something
floating around in there. HTH
John Dixon
"Keith Courage" > wrote in message
> I have a blueberry wine on and I am getting a white chaulk like ring on

the
> top of the bottle on the side. When I give the wine a little shake it
> dissolves but it comes back again.The wine is about two weeks old and I am
> in the second stage after getting rid of all the pulp. I have made this
> several times and I have not run into this problem.Any advice?
>

> ---

Jack Keller

Keith, can't say what it might be without knowing more about how you
made the wine so far. Did you use Campden? What kind of sugar did
you add, when, and by what method?

Jack Keller, The Winemaking Home Page
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net
Keith Courage

HI
I used Campden Tablets and I added the reg sugar after the first couple of
days when only the berries campden tablets were in appx. 2 gal of water. I
racked the wine tonite and it seems O. K. only a little less body right now.
"Jack Keller" > wrote in message
om...
> Keith, can't say what it might be without knowing more about how you
> made the wine so far. Did you use Campden? What kind of sugar did
> you add, when, and by what method?
>
> Jack Keller, The Winemaking Home Page
> http://winemaking.jackkeller.net

---

Jack Keller

Keith, the problem may have been the inert binding material in the
Campden. It doesn't dissolve well in bulk. I don't know how you add
Campden, but years and years of doing this has taught me a few things.
First, use a wine thief or siphon and draw out a cup of juice from
the must. Strain it through a double layer of muslin if you have to.
Then crush the Campden really good. It needs to be in a very fine
powder, like powdered sugar. I use a glass mortar and pestle -- takes
about 45 seconds once you get the technique down. If you just crush
them with a spoon, bottle or something else, you're going to do a lot
more work than with a mortar and pestle. Put the powdered Campden in
a sanitized glass or jar and dump the juice in with it (add the liquid
to the powder). Use a small whisk or a long-tined fork to whip the
juice. In 30 seconds or so the Campden should be dissolved. Set it
aside for a few minutes and then look at it. If any powder is evident
as small bead-like clumps, whip it again. When all Campden is
dissolved, stir this back into the must.

Jack Keller, The Winemaking Home Page
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net

Blueberry wine?????? [email protected] Winemaking 0 12-03-2013 04:54 PM
Fortified Blueberry Wine Jim Winemaking 0 09-04-2005 02:33 PM
Measurements from first blueberry wine. Pete Gregar Winemaking 7 24-08-2004 03:32 PM
Blueberry wine Tepe Winemaking 7 10-07-2004 10:25 AM
Blueberry Wine Recipe from Wine Maker Magazine DJ Winemaking 8 04-06-2004 05:18 PM