atrebla2

Default Port

Does anyone have any special ideas or tips for making port? I'm making my
first batch using an "Ultimate Ruby Port" kit from Wine Kitz. The
instructions suggest adding a bottle of brandy at day 17. I say a
suggestion somewhere else about adding vodka instead and a friend said that
he prefers it without either.

Pinky

IMHO you should use vodka and not brandy. Brandy as bought in your local
Booze shop will already have a distinct flavour of its own and to add this
to your "port" will alter its taste too. Vodka is without flavour and will
not do this. I would also suggest that you use a vodka with as high a % abv
as you can find an preferably not less than 40%abv.
You don't mention quanties of port you have made or its current %abv so
look up the use of the "Pearson Square"
Also be prepared to bulk age it for a couple of years after fortifying it!
The addition of neat alcohol makes the wine very harsh and it needs time to
adjust & mellow out. I am currently drinking my 1996 Fortified elderberry
( 21% abv) which improves year by year so far. (btw I am only allowed a
couple of glasses each week these days!)

--
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire, England
"atrebla2" > wrote in message
> Does anyone have any special ideas or tips for making port? I'm making my
> first batch using an "Ultimate Ruby Port" kit from Wine Kitz. The
> instructions suggest adding a bottle of brandy at day 17. I say a
> suggestion somewhere else about adding vodka instead and a friend said

that
> he prefers it without either.

Greg Cook

On 11/2/03 2:03 AM, in article
, "Pinky"
> wrote:

> IMHO you should use vodka and not brandy. Brandy as bought in your local
> Booze shop will already have a distinct flavour of its own and to add this
> to your "port" will alter its taste too. Vodka is without flavour and will
> not do this. I would also suggest that you use a vodka with as high a % abv
> as you can find an preferably not less than 40%abv.
> You don't mention quanties of port you have made or its current %abv so
> look up the use of the "Pearson Square"
> Also be prepared to bulk age it for a couple of years after fortifying it!
> The addition of neat alcohol makes the wine very harsh and it needs time to
> adjust & mellow out. I am currently drinking my 1996 Fortified elderberry
> ( 21% abv) which improves year by year so far. (btw I am only allowed a
> couple of glasses each week these days!)

I would also add that if you can get higher proof alcohol (like Everclear -
95%) that will bump up your alcohol with minimal dilution of your wine.

--
Greg Cook
http://homepage.mac.com/gregcook/Wine

(remove spamblocker from my email)

3 port questions [email protected] Winemaking 1 13-01-2007 04:49 PM
PORT ?? J J Levin Wine 2 23-12-2006 08:00 PM
Port? Mogweed Wine 10 17-01-2006 12:05 AM
Uses for Port? Max Hauser Wine 11 09-03-2004 06:57 AM
Port wine Sauce Help using Vintage Port (opened a couple of weeks ago - but refrigerated) Kate B General Cooking 2 22-12-2003 10:29 PM