Max Hauser

Default Uses for Port?

In , subject "Can not wait much longer
for the warmer weather" I wrote

> I'm getting hungry.

That was Thursday 18:50. Hour later in nearby town I faced eight blind
sample glasses of Port (with more to come) at a Port tasting. I was still
hungry. Now tasting is usually done hungry, though I have small experience
of Port, and it seems like imposing stuff on an empty stomach. (When I
mentioned this, another taster, d'opinion diabolique, fetched and presented,
with ceremony, a small plate with half a walnut.)

Later we had good Port foods (celery, Stilton, nuts, etc.) and, from a
scholar whose field entails Port history, interesting background about who
used it and how in Imperial Britain. But not being at Oxford in Hanoverian
days (and used to drinking Port daily -- daily!) I have it occasionally, I
know a couple uses in cooking (especially in sauces -- meat-stock reductions
with Ruby Port and caramelized onions, or even Stilton, were fashionable
some years ago), I know basic definitions which are easy enough to look up
if I didn't, I store a few bottles en cas d'occasion, but I welcome any
ideas of where Port fits in well, especially with food. (Also just now
posting this, I see I am not alone asking about Port.)

Cwdjrx _

I usually am content to have one smal glass of good vintage port alone
at the end of the meal.

Here are a few sugestions made by Hugh Johnson: Walnuts, pecans, or a
Cox's Orange Pippin apple and a digestive bisquit with great vintage
port; Stilton and some other blue cheeses with tawny port; some
chocolate desserts with10 year old tawny port; Christmas pudding and
mince pie with tawny port.

Then there are those who like port with cigars. I know cigars are not
food, but some tend to nibble on the end of the cigar in the mouth.

Tom S

"Cwdjrx _" > wrote in message
> Then there are those who like port with cigars. I know cigars are not
> food, but some tend to nibble on the end of the cigar in the mouth.

What? _Not_ food? Surely, cigars are a _vegetable_!

S moT

Tom S

"Max Hauser" > wrote in message
> Later we had good Port foods (celery, Stilton, nuts, etc.)...

I've heard of Stilton and walnuts in accompaniment with Port, but _celery_?
That's a new one on me. I guess I'll have to try it.

Perhaps the purpose of the celery is to contribute negative calories to
offset all the calories from the rest...

Tom S

Max Hauser

"Tom S" in m...

> "Max Hauser" > wrote in message
> > Later we had good Port foods (celery, Stilton, nuts, etc.)...

> I've heard of Stilton and walnuts in accompaniment with Port, but

_celery_?
> That's a new one on me. I guess I'll have to try it.

Yes, I didn't know of it either but some people did, who were Port fans -
and a serious person from the restaurant world who is (like many) a food
fanatic; and they all seemed to know about celery with Port.

> Perhaps the purpose of the celery is to contribute negative calories to
> offset all the calories from the rest...

Yes it was very welcome, and even then, I came away feeling overfatted.
Possibly it was the extra slab of Stilton I took at the end (it was a truly
exceptional Stilton, via an "Artisan" shop in San Francisco, 300g per person
provided, almost all eaten!), or the two little traditionalistic cheese
soufflés that I managed (prepared by another taster who is an inspired
cook), or the little molded chocolate cake with liquid center -- anyway the
celery was welcome with all that.

When I left I was no longer hungry by the way.

Zed

On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 19:02:03 -0800, "Max Hauser"
> wrote:

>"Tom S" in m...
>>
>> "Max Hauser" > wrote in message
>> > Later we had good Port foods (celery, Stilton, nuts, etc.)...

>> I've heard of Stilton and walnuts in accompaniment with Port, but

>_celery_?
>> That's a new one on me. I guess I'll have to try it.

>Yes, I didn't know of it either but some people did, who were Port fans -
>and a serious person from the restaurant world who is (like many) a food
>fanatic; and they all seemed to know about celery with Port.
>
>> Perhaps the purpose of the celery is to contribute negative calories to
>> offset all the calories from the rest...

>Yes it was very welcome, and even then, I came away feeling overfatted.
>Possibly it was the extra slab of Stilton I took at the end (it was a truly
>exceptional Stilton, via an "Artisan" shop in San Francisco, 300g per person
>provided, almost all eaten!), or the two little traditionalistic cheese
>soufflés that I managed (prepared by another taster who is an inspired
>cook), or the little molded chocolate cake with liquid center -- anyway the
>celery was welcome with all that.
>
>When I left I was no longer hungry by the way.

Hehe, after 300g of cheese, no wonder :-)
I like a good Gorgonzola woth port more than Stilton, but it's juts my
personal preference. I serve it with fresh warm baguettes.
I also like port before a meal. After I go home from work, pour myself
a LARGE glass of port. Sit down to ponder the day;s events. Then I'll
make dinner before my gets home.
I'm seriously addicted to port.
I try to get the not too sweet ones.
Zed

---
"Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups:
Alcohol, Caffeine, Sugar & Fat"
Michael Barrett

"Max Hauser" > wrote in message
> I welcome any
> ideas of where Port fits in well, especially with food. (Also just now
> posting this, I see I am not alone asking about Port.)

Yeah Max, but at least you are not (shudder) suggesting mixing Port with
another wine to thin it out!
I like to mix my Port tasting with other flavours such as stinky cheeses,
Cuban cigars, chocolate, and nuts. Mostly vintage, and LBV, but occasionally
a 20y tawney with lighter flavoured cigars.
Celery?
Mayby if it's filled with gorgonzola!

--
Commander Bob

Please remove ALLSPAM from address to respond via email.

JB

I'm attaching a recipe for Pears with Zabaglione which I got from The
Thirsty Traveler series. Not tried it yet but I plan to as it looks
delicious!

Enjoy.

John

"Max Hauser" > wrote in message
> In , subject "Can not wait much

longer
> for the warmer weather" I wrote
>
> > I'm getting hungry.

> That was Thursday 18:50. Hour later in nearby town I faced eight blind
> sample glasses of Port (with more to come) at a Port tasting. I was still
> hungry. Now tasting is usually done hungry, though I have small

experience
> of Port, and it seems like imposing stuff on an empty stomach. (When I
> mentioned this, another taster, d'opinion diabolique, fetched and

presented,
> with ceremony, a small plate with half a walnut.)
>
> Later we had good Port foods (celery, Stilton, nuts, etc.) and, from a
> scholar whose field entails Port history, interesting background about who
> used it and how in Imperial Britain. But not being at Oxford in

Hanoverian
> days (and used to drinking Port daily -- daily!) I have it occasionally, I
> know a couple uses in cooking (especially in sauces -- meat-stock

reductions
> with Ruby Port and caramelized onions, or even Stilton, were fashionable
> some years ago), I know basic definitions which are easy enough to look up
> if I didn't, I store a few bottles en cas d'occasion, but I welcome any
> ideas of where Port fits in well, especially with food. (Also just now
> posting this, I see I am not alone asking about Port.)

Attached Files
File Type: doc Pears with Zabaglione.doc (20.5 KB, 58 views)
Tom S

"Michael Barrett" > wrote in message
> Celery?
> Mayby if it's filled with gorgonzola!

Aha! So the celery is just a low calorie substrate for the cheese, in place
of the more fattening baguette. Must be part of the Atkin's Diet regime...
:^D

S moT

Vilco [out]

Tom S wrote:

> Aha! So the celery is just a low calorie substrate for
> the cheese, in place of the more fattening baguette.

I think you're right. Here in Italy, uncooked celery is
usually eaten with creamy cheeses, like stracchino (don't
get confused with strachitunt) or robiola.

> Must be part of the Atkin's Diet regime... :^D

That's the only diet I could stand, methinks
But... wait! Is alcohol allowed in Atkin's?

Vilco

Peter Miller

LBV with strong cheese
10 - 20 Year old tawny with dark chocolate (older with darker)
30 - 40 Year old tawny with good company, food just gets in the way.

"Michael Barrett" > wrote in message news:<W2J2c.167078$Hy3.94743@edtnps89>...
> "Max Hauser" > wrote in message
> > I welcome any
> > ideas of where Port fits in well, especially with food. (Also just now
> > posting this, I see I am not alone asking about Port.)
> >

> Yeah Max, but at least you are not (shudder) suggesting mixing Port with
> another wine to thin it out!
> I like to mix my Port tasting with other flavours such as stinky cheeses,
> Cuban cigars, chocolate, and nuts. Mostly vintage, and LBV, but occasionally
> a 20y tawney with lighter flavoured cigars.
> Celery?
> Mayby if it's filled with gorgonzola!

3 port questions [email protected] Winemaking 1 13-01-2007 04:49 PM
PORT ?? J J Levin Wine 2 23-12-2006 08:00 PM
Port? Mogweed Wine 10 17-01-2006 12:05 AM
Port wine Sauce Help using Vintage Port (opened a couple of weeks ago - but refrigerated) Kate B General Cooking 2 22-12-2003 10:29 PM
Port atrebla2 Winemaking 2 02-11-2003 04:53 PM