Tom

Default To press or ferment on skins

Picked #150 of Pinot Noir on Sunday, crushed and destemmed. Have cold
soaked on skins for 4 days now and have to decide whether to press tomorrow
or begin fermentation on skins. If it was any other red I wouldn't ask and
just ferment on skins, but Pinot........

Would appreciate any opinions.

Thanks

Tom

MC

Dear Tom

I have just finished the first vilification part of my Pinot Noir and I
would suggest fermenting on skins.
4 days of cold soak is for me a little short for the sufficient colour,
tannin extraction.

It is hard to do but you should taste daily and decide when you have the
desired extraction then you can separate the juice and press.
Even if the fermentation hasn't finished you can separate the juice from the
skins.

I do not know the stats on you wine but you can also do extended maceration
with Pinot Noir. Aaron is the expert on this.

All you need is good temperature control.

Hope this helps.

Marc

"Tom" > a écrit dans le message de news:
> Picked #150 of Pinot Noir on Sunday, crushed and destemmed. Have cold
> soaked on skins for 4 days now and have to decide whether to press

tomorrow
> or begin fermentation on skins. If it was any other red I wouldn't ask

and
> just ferment on skins, but Pinot........
>
> Would appreciate any opinions.
>
> Thanks
>
> Tom

Tom S

"Tom" > wrote in message
> Picked #150 of Pinot Noir on Sunday, crushed and destemmed. Have cold
> soaked on skins for 4 days now and have to decide whether to press

tomorrow
> or begin fermentation on skins. If it was any other red I wouldn't ask

and
> just ferment on skins, but Pinot........

Pinot Noir should be fermented on the skins, just like any other red -
except moreso.

Tom S

What fruits are best to ferment Tim west Winemaking 4 27-05-2016 01:53 PM
ferment dry? k-dawg Winemaking 2 02-02-2006 10:52 AM
stuck ferment Patrick Winemaking 4 24-11-2004 10:25 PM
Cool Kit Ferment Dan Emerson Winemaking 3 16-04-2004 02:21 PM
Pre-Ferment? Brian Mailman Sourdough 2 07-12-2003 06:14 PM