Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Niagara Grapes for Winemaking

I might have enough room for another grape in my city lot. I have
Catawba and Concord right now, two plants of each.

I've read that Niagara grape vines grow fast and maybe too fast, that
they take over a space quickly and like to spread.

Is this one to avoid because of this? Is it a good grape for
winemaking?

Any other commonly available varieties that I might want to grow? I
don't have unlimited space.

Don
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Niagara is quite vigorous. The wine can be pretty good, although the
aroma of fresh juice is the epitome of bad foxiness.

A better choice for a white labrusca hybrid would be Diamond.
http://www.bunchgrapes.com/diamond_grapes.html
It may not be as readily available as Niagara.

It isn't white, but a good choice for blending with Catawba might be
Steuben.
http://www.bunchgrapes.com/steuben_grapes.html

BTW, Catawba is a parent of Concord (along with a wild labrusca).

Stephen

On Jun 29, 7:39 pm, Donald > wrote:
> I might have enough room for another grape in my city lot. I have
> Catawba and Concord right now, two plants of each.
>
> I've read that Niagara grape vines grow fast and maybe too fast, that
> they take over a space quickly and like to spread.
>
> Is this one to avoid because of this? Is it a good grape for
> winemaking?
>
> Any other commonly available varieties that I might want to grow? I
> don't have unlimited space.
>
> Don

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

I can not tell where you are from, but Chambourcin is a red hybrid that
is very vigorous. Here in NC it is widely planted the past few years and
could become one of our signature grapes.

DAve
p.s. I love Niagara wine, many will have a almost "welch's grapejuice"
finish, which isn't bad.

Donald wrote:
> I might have enough room for another grape in my city lot. I have
> Catawba and Concord right now, two plants of each.
>
> I've read that Niagara grape vines grow fast and maybe too fast, that
> they take over a space quickly and like to spread.
>
> Is this one to avoid because of this? Is it a good grape for
> winemaking?
>
> Any other commonly available varieties that I might want to grow? I
> don't have unlimited space.
>
> Don

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

I made a gallon of Niagra from Welch's concentrate after seeing it
mentioned on this list. It has a definite flavor but the folks that
tried it, liked it. I've had commercial wines with more foxiness.
Maybe the concentration process does something.

Dick

shbailey wrote:
> Niagara is quite vigorous. The wine can be pretty good, although the
> aroma of fresh juice is the epitome of bad foxiness.
>
> A better choice for a white labrusca hybrid would be Diamond.
> http://www.bunchgrapes.com/diamond_grapes.html
> It may not be as readily available as Niagara.
>
> It isn't white, but a good choice for blending with Catawba might be
> Steuben.
> http://www.bunchgrapes.com/steuben_grapes.html
>
> BTW, Catawba is a parent of Concord (along with a wild labrusca).
>
> Stephen
>

> On Jun 29, 7:39 pm, Donald > wrote:
>> I might have enough room for another grape in my city lot. I have
>> Catawba and Concord right now, two plants of each.
>>
>> I've read that Niagara grape vines grow fast and maybe too fast, that
>> they take over a space quickly and like to spread.
>>
>> Is this one to avoid because of this? Is it a good grape for
>> winemaking?
>>
>> Any other commonly available varieties that I might want to grow? I
>> don't have unlimited space.
>>
>> Don

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Maybe Concord and Catawba together would make a nice blend?

On Wed, 1 Jul 2009 20:11:55 -0700 (PDT), shbailey