Posted to rec.crafts.meadmaking,rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Picking Flowers for Mead/Wine Flavor

I've made a few batches of rose flavored mead over the years by adding
petals to the batch and plan on another batch this year. Does anyone
have opinions about the best time of day to pick the roses? I know,
the stock answer is "while ye may", but does time make any difference?
I would think that morning would be best, before the heat and light of
day drain the oils and essences. Any votes for evening? Or High Noon?
Midnight?

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.meadmaking,rec.crafts.winemaking

Pavel314 > wrote:
>I've made a few batches of rose flavored mead over the years by adding
>petals to the batch and plan on another batch this year. Does anyone
>have opinions about the best time of day to pick the roses? I know,
>the stock answer is "while ye may", but does time make any difference?
>I would think that morning would be best, before the heat and light of
>day drain the oils and essences. Any votes for evening? Or High Noon?
>Midnight?

I vote midnight, just because Midnight Rose Mead would be
a cool name. ;-)
--
Joel Plutchak

"New opinions are always suspected, and usually opposed, without any
other reason but because they are not already common." - John Locke
Posted to rec.crafts.meadmaking,rec.crafts.winemaking

I don't know about the roses, but honeysuckle is much more aromatic in the
morning.
Steve
"Joel" > wrote in message
> Pavel314 > wrote:
>>I've made a few batches of rose flavored mead over the years by adding
>>petals to the batch and plan on another batch this year. Does anyone
>>have opinions about the best time of day to pick the roses? I know,
>>the stock answer is "while ye may", but does time make any difference?
>>I would think that morning would be best, before the heat and light of
>>day drain the oils and essences. Any votes for evening? Or High Noon?
>>Midnight?

> I vote midnight, just because Midnight Rose Mead would be
> a cool name. ;-)
> --
> Joel Plutchak
>
> "New opinions are always suspected, and usually opposed, without any
> other reason but because they are not already common." - John Locke

Posted to rec.crafts.meadmaking,rec.crafts.winemaking

On Jun 10, 1:09*pm, (Joel) wrote:
> Pavel314 > wrote:
> >I've made a few batches of rose flavored mead over the years by adding
> >petals to the batch and plan on another batch this year. Does anyone
> >have opinions about the best time of day to pick the roses? I know,
> >the stock answer is "while ye may", but does time make any difference?
> >I would think that morning would be best, before the heat and light of
> >day drain the oils and essences. Any votes for evening? Or High Noon?
> >Midnight?

> * *I vote midnight, just because Midnight Rose Mead would be
> a cool name. ;-)
> --
> Joel Plutchak
>
> "New opinions are always suspected, and usually opposed, without any
> other reason but because they are not already common." - John Locke

Great name! You should be in marketing.

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.meadmaking,rec.crafts.winemaking

Steve Peek wrote:

> I don't know about the roses, but honeysuckle is much more aromatic in the
> morning.
> Steve
> "Joel" > wrote in message

I have been thinking of honeysuckle to add to some mead. Any ideas,
quantity, etc?

>> Pavel314 > wrote:
>>>I've made a few batches of rose flavored mead over the years by adding
>>>petals to the batch and plan on another batch this year. Does anyone
>>>have opinions about the best time of day to pick the roses? I know,
>>>the stock answer is "while ye may", but does time make any difference?
>>>I would think that morning would be best, before the heat and light of
>>>day drain the oils and essences. Any votes for evening? Or High Noon?
>>>Midnight?

>> I vote midnight, just because Midnight Rose Mead would be
>> a cool name. ;-)
>> --
>> Joel Plutchak
>>
>> "New opinions are always suspected, and usually opposed, without any
>> other reason but because they are not already common." - John Loc

Posted to rec.crafts.meadmaking,rec.crafts.winemaking

Pavel314 wrote:

> I've made a few batches of rose flavored mead over the years by adding
> petals to the batch and plan on another batch this year. Does anyone
> have opinions about the best time of day to pick the roses? I know,
> the stock answer is "while ye may", but does time make any difference?
> I would think that morning would be best, before the heat and light of
> day drain the oils and essences. Any votes for evening? Or High Noon?
> Midnight?
>
> Paul

I hope your source for roses is not those that have been sprayed. The ones
I have used in the past were late season roses that bloomed after I quit
spraying my grapes.