Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Advice on mead honey wine. Please help.

On May 10, 5:54*pm, "Juan & Mary Mercogliano" >
wrote:
> I started my first mead in March of last year. It has been priming since
> then. I transfered it three times to remove sediment.
>
> There is a yeastie taste to the mead, I think I mat have added too much at
> the begining.

I'm not sure what you could add to mask this taste, but what kind of
yeast did you use? I usually hear about such tastes forming when
people use bread yeast to try to make wines instead of proper wine-
making yeast.

"Too much yeast" won't cause bad flavours in your wine, since the
yeast goes forth and multiplies as soon as it's in the must. By the
time the primary fermentation is over, there is a heck of a lot more
yeast than what you started with.
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

> "Too much yeast" won't cause bad flavours in your wine, since the
> yeast goes forth and multiplies as soon as it's in the must. By the
> time the primary fermentation is over, there is a heck of a lot more
> yeast than what you started with.

I would agree, what does it taste like? Meads can be low acid so
adding lemon juice might make it more flavorful. If you describe your
ingredient list in detail it might help.

Joe

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Joe Sallustio wrote:

>> "Too much yeast" won't cause bad flavours in
>> your wine, since the
>> yeast goes forth and multiplies as soon as it's
>> in the must. By the time the primary
>> fermentation is over, there is a heck of a lot
>> more yeast than what you started with.

> I would agree, what does it taste like? Meads
> can be low acid so
> adding lemon juice might make it more flavorful.
> If you describe your ingredient list in detail
> it might help.
>
> Joe

A word of caution; meads can be quite LOW in pH
naturally and it is extremely difficult if not
impossible to get an accurate TA readings on
meads.

I have only made several meads but my experience
has been that the pH drops like a rock during
fermentation, which is just the opposite of most
wines. Acids are probably best added by taste or
blending. I agree that a list of ingredients
would be helpful to diagnose whatever problem(s)
may exists.

Advice on mead honey wine. Please help. ACMarks Winemaking 0 11-05-2008 08:46 PM
2007 IMA Mead Festival Home Mead Maker Competition Call for Entries Oskaar Winemaking 0 01-11-2006 08:09 AM
Mead Wine receipe Donny Tyler Winemaking 6 17-04-2006 04:28 PM
honey mead Stephen SG Winemaking 0 15-04-2004 11:17 PM
honey mead kaz Winemaking 1 15-04-2004 10:07 PM