Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default k Sorbate

Hey, I'm a dry wine guy. But, have a batch of White Zin I made for the
ladies and will sweeten it a bit. I want to use the least amount of K
Sorbate to prevent refermentation as I can taste it in wines. I only have 5
gallons, directions call for 1/2 teaspoon per gallon, but I prefer to weigh
my additives. Anybody want to take a shot at the lowest level in
grams/gallon ??? Should say, the sugar level I add will be just to the
sweetness threshold, under 2%, more like 1%. Don't use kits but know they
call for 6.5 grams per 6 gall batch. What could the minimum be?

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Mar 8, 10:26*pm, "Lou" > wrote:
> Hey, I'm a dry wine guy. But, have a batch of White Zin I made for the
> ladies and will sweeten it a bit. I want to use the least amount of K
> Sorbate to prevent refermentation as I can taste it in wines. I only have 5
> gallons, directions call for 1/2 teaspoon per gallon, but I prefer to weigh
> my additives. Anybody want to take a shot at the lowest level in
> grams/gallon ??? Should say, the sugar level I add will be just to the
> sweetness threshold, under 2%, more like 1%. Don't use kits but know they
> call for 6.5 grams per 6 gall batch. What could the minimum be?

1.0 to 1.25 g/US gallon; the amount of sugar doesn't matter. Don't
skimp on the sulfite oe sorbate, the germanium taint problem is real.
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Lou wrote:

> Hey, I'm a dry wine guy. But, have a batch of White Zin I made for the
> ladies and will sweeten it a bit. I want to use the least amount of K
> Sorbate to prevent refermentation as I can taste it in wines. I only have
> 5 gallons, directions call for 1/2 teaspoon per gallon, but I prefer to
> weigh my additives. Anybody want to take a shot at the lowest level in
> grams/gallon ??? Should say, the sugar level I add will be just to the
> sweetness threshold, under 2%, more like 1%. Don't use kits but know they
> call for 6.5 grams per 6 gall batch. What could the minimum be?

I can't tell you about the sorbate but have you considered sweetening with
Stevia. It is a natural product that is much stronger than sugar and is
nonfermentable. You can get it in liquid or powder form. A little bit goes
a LONG way. You can get it at health food stores. You can add it at
drinking time or during bulk ageing or on a per bottle basis when bottling.
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

"Lou" > wrote in message
> Hey, I'm a dry wine guy. But, have a batch of White Zin I made for the
> ladies and will sweeten it a bit. I want to use the least amount of K
> Sorbate to prevent refermentation as I can taste it in wines. I only have
> 5 gallons, directions call for 1/2 teaspoon per gallon, but I prefer to
> weigh my additives. Anybody want to take a shot at the lowest level in
> grams/gallon ??? Should say, the sugar level I add will be just to the
> sweetness threshold, under 2%, more like 1%. Don't use kits but know they
> call for 6.5 grams per 6 gall batch. What could the minimum be?

It'd probably depend on what yeast you're using. Some take more killing than
others.

Mike

Potassium Sorbate Ray Bowler Winemaking 1 10-07-2013 10:44 PM
mlf and Sorbate Wino-Nouveau Winemaking 4 21-09-2006 09:16 PM
Campden and/or pot. sorbate Nick R Winemaking 4 07-08-2004 02:02 PM
Potassium Sorbate Joe Winemaking 6 10-04-2004 02:44 PM
More sorbate? bwesley7 Winemaking 5 14-02-2004 01:08 AM