Old 03-04-2004, 04:19 AM
Joe

Default Potassium Sorbate

Is potassium sorbate the same as stabilizing tablets?

Thanks,
Joe

Old 03-04-2004, 09:17 AM
Stephen SG

STABILIZER (YEAST INHIBITOR) PREVENTS RENEWED FERMENTATION IN A
CLEAR STABLE, WINE

Old 09-04-2004, 03:03 PM
Greg Cook

"Joe" wrote in message
| Is potassium sorbate the same as stabilizing tablets?
|
| Thanks,
| Joe

I believe it should be, but I don't have an ingredients list handy. I wonder
if they add anything else to these Stabilizer tablets in addition to
sorbate? Like sulfite also? I have no idea.
--
Greg Cook
http://homepage.mac.com/gregcook/Wine

(remove spamblocker from my email)

Old 10-04-2004, 09:05 AM
Stephen SG

potassium sorbate is registered as a E202

But should not be used in ML-fermented wines

Stephen

"Greg Cook" wrote in message
s.com...
| On 4/3/04 3:17 AM, in article , "Stephen
| SG" wrote:
|
| STABILIZER (YEAST INHIBITOR) PREVENTS RENEWED FERMENTATION IN A
| CLEAR STABLE, WINE
|

| "Joe" wrote in message
| | Is potassium sorbate the same as stabilizing tablets?
| |

Old 10-04-2004, 09:19 AM
Stephen SG

POTASSIUM SORBATE: Sold as white elongated pellets, this chemical prevents
yeast reproduction, thus preventing renewed fermentation. I have seen it
listed as an ingredient on many grocery items in your refrigerator from
apple juice to taco sauce. It is used by the winemaker when sweetening a
wine after it has stopped working, or to stop a fermentation before a wine
becomes too dry
potassium sorbate is registered as a E202

But should not be used in ML-fermented wines

Stephen

| "Greg Cook" wrote in message
| s.com...
| | On 4/3/04 3:17 AM, in article , "Stephen
| | SG" wrote:
| |
| | STABILIZER (YEAST INHIBITOR) PREVENTS RENEWED FERMENTATION IN
| | CLEAR STABLE, WINE
| |
| |
| |
| |
| | "Joe" wrote in message
| | | Is potassium sorbate the same as stabilizing tablets?
| | |
| | | Thanks,
| | | Joe
| |
| |

Old 10-04-2004, 12:03 PM
Don S

Is potassium sorbate the same as stabilizing tablets?

It might not be. I could see stabilizing tablets being
Campden/potassium metabisulfite as well.

Don
Old 10-04-2004, 02:44 PM
frederick ploegman

If they are in tablet form, they may also be Sodium Benzoate.
It is used for the same purpose. HTH