Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default To cork or not to cork

Hi guys,

Well, our liquor license was approved and, after the final inspection the
end of the month, the Village Vintner should be ready to open for business.
Whoooo hoooo!

I've recently heard from a couple of hobbyists that they use screw-tops
rather than corks, saying that the cork has absolutely no effect on the
wine. This goes against everything I've believed, but then I've never looked
into it to confirm my assumptions. Is it like the Ford vs Chevy (or Apple vs
PC) debates? Does it really matter? We've decided to offer both options to
our customers, but I'd like to know which to recommend for whom, and why.

What do the experts say? By "experts," of course I mean you guys.

Tia,

Waterspider

------------------------------
Visit www.penderharbour.org
------------------------------

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Waterspider wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> Well, our liquor license was approved and, after the final inspection the
> end of the month, the Village Vintner should be ready to open for
> business. Whoooo hoooo!
>
> I've recently heard from a couple of hobbyists that they use screw-tops
> rather than corks, saying that the cork has absolutely no effect on the
> wine. This goes against everything I've believed, but then I've never
> looked into it to confirm my assumptions. Is it like the Ford vs Chevy (or
> Apple vs PC) debates? Does it really matter? We've decided to offer both
> options to our customers, but I'd like to know which to recommend for
> whom, and why.
>
> What do the experts say? By "experts," of course I mean you guys.
>
> Tia,
>
> Waterspider
>
> ------------------------------
> Visit www.penderharbour.org
> ------------------------------

If you use screw-tops, you need to invest a fair amount of money to get
started. If you are afraid of cork taint, there are a number of synthetic
corks on the market now that entirely eliminate this issue and you would
not have to invest in new equipment.
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

"Paul E. Lehmann" > wrote in message
> Waterspider wrote:
>
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> Well, our liquor license was approved and, after the final inspection the
>> end of the month, the Village Vintner should be ready to open for
>> business. Whoooo hoooo!
>>
>> I've recently heard from a couple of hobbyists that they use screw-tops
>> rather than corks, saying that the cork has absolutely no effect on the
>> wine. This goes against everything I've believed, but then I've never
>> looked into it to confirm my assumptions. Is it like the Ford vs Chevy
>> (or
>> Apple vs PC) debates? Does it really matter? We've decided to offer both
>> options to our customers, but I'd like to know which to recommend for
>> whom, and why.
>>
>> What do the experts say? By "experts," of course I mean you guys.
>>
>> Tia,
>>
>> Waterspider
>>
>> ------------------------------
>> Visit www.penderharbour.org
>> ------------------------------

> If you use screw-tops, you need to invest a fair amount of money to get
> started. If you are afraid of cork taint, there are a number of synthetic
> corks on the market now that entirely eliminate this issue and you would
> not have to invest in new equipment.

So... no difference to the wine?
The way the license works, the customer must add the yeast and cork the
finished wine. Cork or screw-cap, they would do this manually. The caps and
bottles are more expensive, but what other equipment would be necessary?
Thanks for your tip about synthetic corks. Sounds like that's the way to go.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Waterspider wrote:

> "Paul E. Lehmann" > wrote in message
>> Waterspider wrote:
>>
>>> Hi guys,
>>>
>>> Well, our liquor license was approved and, after the final inspection
>>> the end of the month, the Village Vintner should be ready to open for
>>> business. Whoooo hoooo!
>>>
>>> I've recently heard from a couple of hobbyists that they use screw-tops
>>> rather than corks, saying that the cork has absolutely no effect on the
>>> wine. This goes against everything I've believed, but then I've never
>>> looked into it to confirm my assumptions. Is it like the Ford vs Chevy
>>> (or
>>> Apple vs PC) debates? Does it really matter? We've decided to offer both
>>> options to our customers, but I'd like to know which to recommend for
>>> whom, and why.
>>>
>>> What do the experts say? By "experts," of course I mean you guys.
>>>
>>> Tia,
>>>
>>> Waterspider
>>>
>>> ------------------------------
>>> Visit www.penderharbour.org
>>> ------------------------------

>> If you use screw-tops, you need to invest a fair amount of money to get
>> started. If you are afraid of cork taint, there are a number of
>> synthetic corks on the market now that entirely eliminate this issue and
>> you would not have to invest in new equipment.

> So... no difference to the wine?

Depends on who you read. They are probably great for white wines and reds
that are not intended to age long but because they do create a more
airtight seal, there is the potential for reductive reactions to occur in
wines that can create horrible off orders.

> The way the license works, the customer must add the yeast and cork the
> finished wine. Cork or screw-cap, they would do this manually. The caps
> and bottles are more expensive, but what other equipment would be
> necessary? Thanks for your tip about synthetic corks. Sounds like that's
> the way to go.

Check out the equipment necessary for using Stelvin screw caps. It is not
merely just the case of simply screwing on a cap. I thought about them at
one time myself but after looking at what would be needed, forgot the idea.
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Jan 18, 3:54*pm, "Paul E. Lehmann" >
wrote:
> Waterspider wrote:
>
> > "Paul E. Lehmann" > wrote in message
> m...

> >> If you use screw-tops, you need to invest a fair amount of money to get
> >> started. *If you are afraid of cork taint, there are a number of
> >> synthetic corks on the market now that entirely eliminate this issue and
> >> you would not have to invest in new equipment.

> > So... no difference to the wine?

> Depends on who you read. *They are probably great for white wines and reds
> that are not intended to age long but because they do create a more
> airtight seal, there is the potential for reductive reactions to occur in
> wines that can create horrible off orders.
>
> > The way the license works, the customer must add the yeast and cork the
> > finished wine. Cork or screw-cap, they would do this manually. The caps
> > and bottles are more expensive, but what other equipment would be
> > necessary? Thanks for your tip about synthetic corks. Sounds like that's
> > the way to go.

> Check out the equipment necessary for using Stelvin screw caps. *It is not
> merely just the case of simply screwing on a cap. *I thought about them at
> one time myself but after looking at what would be needed, forgot the idea.- Hide quoted text -

There is no way a small operation can afford Stelvin and the caps
available to hobbyists are not the same. If you want a quick seal and
to only buy one sort of bottle consider T tops, you can get a
synthethic or natural cork T top very inexpensively and could still
use either synthetic or natural corks. The best synthetic as I see it
is Nomacorc..

Zorks are also available now, it's a glass or plastic stopper with an
O ring. It's covered with a metal tamper seal commercially but that
is because Alcoa makes them...

Joe

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

wrote:
> Waterspider wrote:
>
> > "Paul E. Lehmann" > wrote in message
> m...

> >> If you use screw-tops, you need to invest a fair amount of money to get
> >> started. If you are afraid of cork taint, there are a number of
> >> synthetic corks on the market now that entirely eliminate this issue
> >> and
> >> you would not have to invest in new equipment.

> > So... no difference to the wine?

> Depends on who you read. They are probably great for white wines and reds
> that are not intended to age long but because they do create a more
> airtight seal, there is the potential for reductive reactions to occur in
> wines that can create horrible off orders.
>
> > The way the license works, the customer must add the yeast and cork the
> > finished wine. Cork or screw-cap, they would do this manually. The caps
> > and bottles are more expensive, but what other equipment would be
> > necessary? Thanks for your tip about synthetic corks. Sounds like that's
> > the way to go.

> Check out the equipment necessary for using Stelvin screw caps. It is not
> merely just the case of simply screwing on a cap. I thought about them at
> one time myself but after looking at what would be needed, forgot the
> idea.- Hide quoted text -

There is no way a small operation can afford Stelvin and the caps
available to hobbyists are not the same. If you want a quick seal and
to only buy one sort of bottle consider T tops, you can get a
synthethic or natural cork T top very inexpensively and could still
use either synthetic or natural corks. The best synthetic as I see it
is Nomacorc..

Zorks are also available now, it's a glass or plastic stopper with an
O ring. It's covered with a metal tamper seal commercially but that
is because Alcoa makes them...

From Googling synthetic vs natural corks, it seems that either can screw up
(no pun intended), so I'm thinking my idealistic plan of using The Perfect
stopper is unrealistic. Now I'm wondering, if a cork was inferior, if a
shrink wrap over the top would prevent or delay the wine becoming "corked."
Or is that too easy a fix?

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

I kinda liked the look of the Zork corks. But they are more expensive
than regular corks. If I could find small quantities in Canada (like
100), I would probably give them a try.

The T-corks would work well for some customers, but many customers
would probably not like it.

Steve
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On 23 Jan, 00:44, Steve > wrote:
> I kinda liked the look of the Zork corks. *But they are more expensive
> than regular corks. *If I could find small quantities in Canada (like
> 100), I would probably give them a try.
>
> The T-corks would work well for some customers, but many customers
> would probably not like it.
>
> Steve

Personally I prefer corks. Simply because of the tradional aspect.
Theres nothing as satisfying as uncorking a bottle. Using screwcaps
just doesnt hold the same.

McKev
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

> From Googling synthetic vs natural corks, it seems that either can screw up
> (no pun intended), so I'm thinking my idealistic plan of using The Perfect
> stopper is unrealistic. Now I'm wondering, if a cork was inferior, if a
> shrink wrap over the top would prevent or delay the wine becoming "corked."
> Or is that too easy a fix?- Hide quoted text -

That won't help, the problem with bad corks is usually TCA which is
caused by bleach interacting with the cork in a bad way to
oversimplify. Most corks are not bad, if it compresses with a little
finger pressure it's probably fine. Most people drink wine within a
year or two so synthetics are not a bad option there; I have had wines
under them for 4 or more years; I have to look...

Joe

Need a Cork Janet Wilder[_1_] Barbecue 31 01-12-2012 02:31 AM
Put a cork in it. John LaBella Winemaking 4 27-01-2007 01:36 AM
cork preparation Lou Winemaking 12 01-06-2006 05:50 AM
Cork or cap? mdginzo Winemaking 7 24-04-2006 04:48 PM
Cork or cap? E. Carl Speros Wine 10 22-12-2003 12:01 PM