E. Carl Speros

Default Cork or cap?

I'e heard from some very influencial wine experts & critics that many of
the better wine prducers world wide will be going over to air tight caps
& ditching the less efficient cork. I'll bet the wine snobs will be
screaming about this bit of news. It is only logical that the porous
cork is only good if the wine is placed on its side & even then it will
slowly decompose. Chateau Mouton Rothschilde et. al. with plastic
caps??? Whaddaya think?

After Malvern Hill Pres. Lincoln visited with Gens. Mc Clellen & Sumner
as well as Col. Nugent (Commander of the Irish Brigade.)` A Lt. James.
M. Birmingham, Adjutant of the 88th N. Y. came from a swim in the James
R. & with his underwear drying on his body saw them talking. He ducked
behind some cover to eavesdrop in time to see & hear Pres. Lincoln
(overcome with emotion at the bravery & sacrifice of the Irish Brigade.)
as he lifted a corner of the 69th N. Y.'s flag, kissed it & said "God
bless this Irish flag" From Joseph Bilby's book
"Remember Fontenoy" on the Irish Brigade
Lancaster Civil War Round Table Website
http://community.webtv.net/GrayGhost...eCivilWarRound Carl
Speros webmaster.

Henry Lai

"E. Carl Speros" > wrote in message
> Chateau Mouton Rothschilde et. al. with plastic
> caps??? Whaddaya think?

There ample proof that corks allow fine wines to age by slowly allowing
air to enter the bottle. There is no proof that the plastic caps will
allow a wine to age. By all means, I think plastic caps, screw caps,
etc. should be used on wine meant for early drinking. There's no
point in using cork for these kinds of wines.

A friend informs me that in Switzerland, many of the very good quality
white wines meant for current consumption are sold with screw caps.

pavane

"Henry Lai" <f> wrote in message news:3fe4b85d$1_3@aeinews....

> There ample proof that corks allow fine wines to age by slowly allowing
> air to enter the bottle.

You will, of course, kindly cite the "ample proof" of this assertion.

pavane

Mike Tommasi

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 20:05:34 GMT, "pavane"
> wrote:

>"Henry Lai" <f> wrote in message news:3fe4b85d$1_3@aeinews....
>

>> There ample proof that corks allow fine wines to age by slowly allowing
>> air to enter the bottle.
>>

>You will, of course, kindly cite the "ample proof" of this assertion.

Yes, I would like to see it too.
Dana Myers

Henry Lai wrote:

> There ample proof that corks allow fine wines to age by slowly allowing
> air to enter the bottle.

Could you cite some of this "ample proof"?
I can believe that air may enter *around* the cork
when the bottle is temperature-cycled, but I'm
quite doubtful that air permeates the actual cork.

Dana
Michael Pronay

Dana Myers > wrote:

>> There ample proof that corks allow fine wines to age by slowly
>> allowing air to enter the bottle.

> Could you cite some of this "ample proof"? I can believe that
> air may enter *around* the cork when the bottle is
> temperature-cycled, but I'm quite doubtful that air permeates
> the actual cork.

And how about champagne corks retaining bubbles for decades - even
under pressure?

M.
Dana Myers

Michael Pronay wrote:

>>Could you cite some of this "ample proof"? I can believe that
>>air may enter *around* the cork when the bottle is
>>temperature-cycled, but I'm quite doubtful that air permeates
>>the actual cork.

> And how about champagne corks retaining bubbles for decades - even
> under pressure?

Damn, are you going to confuse the issue with real scientific
observations? :-)

Don't feel too bad. Civil War Carl hasn't yet offered a single WA
PN that might be superior to most CA Pinot Noir, which might mean
he's just winding us all up.

Dana
Mike Tommasi

On 22 Dec 2003 01:43:03 GMT, Michael Pronay > wrote:

>Dana Myers > wrote:
>
>>> There ample proof that corks allow fine wines to age by slowly
>>> allowing air to enter the bottle.

>> Could you cite some of this "ample proof"? I can believe that
>> air may enter *around* the cork when the bottle is
>> temperature-cycled, but I'm quite doubtful that air permeates
>> the actual cork.

>And how about champagne corks retaining bubbles for decades - even
>under pressure?

Exactly.

But there is a trend in sommelier schools in France and Italy to
propagatre the myth of cork stoppers not being hermetic and allowing
some mysteryious gas echanges. Why these gases would move around, and
according to what physical principle, nobody ever explains.

A good cork is a hermetic seal.

Mike

Michael Pronay

Dana Myers > wrote:

>> And how about champagne corks retaining bubbles for decades - even
>> under pressure?

> Damn, are you going to confuse the issue with real scientific
> observations? :-)

Psssshhhht! Don't wake-up the cork permeability fraction ...

M.

Need a Cork Janet Wilder[_1_] Barbecue 31 01-12-2012 02:31 AM
To cork or not to cork Waterspider Winemaking 8 02-02-2009 11:23 PM
Put a cork in it. John LaBella Winemaking 4 27-01-2007 01:36 AM
cork preparation Lou Winemaking 12 01-06-2006 05:50 AM
Cork or cap? mdginzo Winemaking 7 24-04-2006 04:48 PM