Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Jim Jim is offline

Default Dealcoholized Wine

My wife does not drink and I do, this means I have to drink twice as
much to make up for the fact that she does not drink. This is not all
bad because when we go out I am guaranteed a very sober chafer. All
kidding aside is there a simple low cost way to dealcoholize wine so
one can enjoy the taste without the buzz?

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

"Jim" > wrote in message
> My wife does not drink and I do, this means I have to drink twice as
> much to make up for the fact that she does not drink. This is not all
> bad because when we go out I am guaranteed a very sober chafer. All
> kidding aside is there a simple low cost way to dealcoholize wine so
> one can enjoy the taste without the buzz?

I'm interested to see the responses to this one. Alcohol does have a taste,
so preventing/removing it would involve the addition of something else to
duplicate the flavour.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Jim > wrote:

> My wife does not drink and I do, this means I have to drink twice as
> much to make up for the fact that she does not drink. This is not all
> bad because when we go out I am guaranteed a very sober chafer.

I have the same situation.

> All kidding aside is there a simple low cost way to dealcoholize
> wine so one can enjoy the taste without the buzz?

There are several non-alcoholic, fruit-based drinks or just
buy her a pound of grapes.

Dick
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Dec 13, 9:26 am, Jim > wrote:
> My wife does not drink and I do, this means I have to drink twice as
> much to make up for the fact that she does not drink. This is not all
> bad because when we go out I am guaranteed a very sober chafer. All
> kidding aside is there a simple low cost way to dealcoholize wine so
> one can enjoy the taste without the buzz?

Sutter Home makes a line of alcohol removed wines that are pretty good
and around $5 per bottle. Here is a link to a description of their
process.
http://www.frewines.com/details/making.html
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Dec 13, 9:26*am, Jim > wrote:
> My wife does not drink and I do, this means I have to drink twice as
> much to make up for the fact that she does not drink. This is not all
> bad because when we go out I am guaranteed a very sober chafer. All
> kidding aside is there a simple low cost way to dealcoholize wine so
> one can enjoy the taste without the buzz? *

Well, the easiest way would be to not add the yeast to start with.
However your drink would be much higher in sugar.

In all seriousness, you should be able to remove tha alcohol by
pulling a vacuum on the wine. If you get the appropriate pressure,
the alcohol should boil away leaving the rest of the wine. Now for
how it would taste, I have no idea. Let me know if you try it.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Jim Jim is offline

How do you pull a vacuum on the wine?

On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 13:09:53 -0800 (PST), Steve Potter
> wrote:

>On Dec 13, 9:26*am, Jim > wrote:
>> My wife does not drink and I do, this means I have to drink twice as
>> much to make up for the fact that she does not drink. This is not all
>> bad because when we go out I am guaranteed a very sober chafer. All
>> kidding aside is there a simple low cost way to dealcoholize wine so
>> one can enjoy the taste without the buzz? *

>Well, the easiest way would be to not add the yeast to start with.
>However your drink would be much higher in sugar.
>
>In all seriousness, you should be able to remove tha alcohol by
>pulling a vacuum on the wine. If you get the appropriate pressure,
>the alcohol should boil away leaving the rest of the wine. Now for
>how it would taste, I have no idea. Let me know if you try it.
>
>Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

In article >, Steve Potter > wrote:
>On Dec 13, 9:26=A0am, Jim > wrote:
>> My wife does not drink and I do, this means I have to drink twice as
>> much to make up for the fact that she does not drink. This is not all
>> bad because when we go out I am guaranteed a very sober chafer. All
>> kidding aside is there a simple low cost way to dealcoholize wine so
>> one can enjoy the taste without the buzz? =A0

>Well, the easiest way would be to not add the yeast to start with.
>However your drink would be much higher in sugar.
>
>In all seriousness, you should be able to remove tha alcohol by
>pulling a vacuum on the wine. If you get the appropriate pressure,
>the alcohol should boil away leaving the rest of the wine. Now for
>how it would taste, I have no idea. Let me know if you try it.

In all seriousness, this ain't gonna happen without laboratory or industrial
equipment. Have you checked the vapor pressure of ethanol at room temperature?
It's 49.5 mm Hg. That's one helluva vacuum, only about 0.06 atmospheres.

I sure wouldn't try pulling that kind of vacuum on a glass carboy. If you want
to make the experiment, by all means go ahead, but do the rest of us a favor:
set up a camcorder first, and post the video on youtube. :-)
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Dec 14, 3:51*pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
> In article >, Steve *Potter > wrote:
>
> >On Dec 13, 9:26=A0am, Jim > wrote:
> >> My wife does not drink and I do, this means I have to drink twice as
> >> much to make up for the fact that she does not drink. This is not all
> >> bad because when we go out I am guaranteed a very sober chafer. All
> >> kidding aside is there a simple low cost way to dealcoholize wine so
> >> one can enjoy the taste without the buzz? =A0

> >Well, the easiest way would be to not add the yeast to start with.
> >However your drink would be much higher in sugar.

> >In all seriousness, you should be able to remove tha alcohol by
> >pulling a vacuum on the wine. *If you get the appropriate pressure,
> >the alcohol should boil away leaving the rest of the wine. *Now for
> >how it would taste, I have no idea. * Let me know if you try it.

> In all seriousness, this ain't gonna happen without laboratory or industrial
> equipment. Have you checked the vapor pressure of ethanol at room temperature?
> It's 49.5 mm Hg. That's one helluva vacuum, only about 0.06 atmospheres.
>
> I sure wouldn't try pulling that kind of vacuum on a glass carboy. If you want
> to make the experiment, by all means go ahead, but do the rest of us a favor:
> set up a camcorder first, and post the video on youtube. :-)

That is within the range that most vacuum pumps can produce.

Plus you can change the temperature of wine to change the vacuum
required.

It seems like a much easier solution than the process mentioned in the
link that shbailey provided.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Dec 14, 3:51*pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
> In article >, Steve *Potter > wrote:
>
> >On Dec 13, 9:26=A0am, Jim > wrote:
> >> My wife does not drink and I do, this means I have to drink twice as
> >> much to make up for the fact that she does not drink. This is not all
> >> bad because when we go out I am guaranteed a very sober chafer. All
> >> kidding aside is there a simple low cost way to dealcoholize wine so
> >> one can enjoy the taste without the buzz? =A0

> >Well, the easiest way would be to not add the yeast to start with.
> >However your drink would be much higher in sugar.

> >In all seriousness, you should be able to remove tha alcohol by
> >pulling a vacuum on the wine. *If you get the appropriate pressure,
> >the alcohol should boil away leaving the rest of the wine. *Now for
> >how it would taste, I have no idea. * Let me know if you try it.

> In all seriousness, this ain't gonna happen without laboratory or industrial
> equipment. Have you checked the vapor pressure of ethanol at room temperature?
> It's 49.5 mm Hg. That's one helluva vacuum, only about 0.06 atmospheres.
>
> I sure wouldn't try pulling that kind of vacuum on a glass carboy. If you want
> to make the experiment, by all means go ahead, but do the rest of us a favor:
> set up a camcorder first, and post the video on youtube. :-)

Here is an interesting paper I found describing the procedure tested
by a winery:

http://ejeafche.uvigo.es/index.php?o...oc_view&gid=28
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

"Jim" > wrote in message
> My wife does not drink and I do, this means I have to drink twice as
> much to make up for the fact that she does not drink. This is not all
> bad because when we go out I am guaranteed a very sober chafer. All
> kidding aside is there a simple low cost way to dealcoholize wine so
> one can enjoy the taste without the buzz?

Heat it or freeze it.

"While the more experienced wine drinkers might describe this wine asbeing too simple and not complex enough, millions of new wine drinkers aroundthe world love it and it does play an important role by bringing new winedrinkers into the market e [email protected] Wine 0 08-02-2009 03:49 AM
DEalcoholized Guinness? Skookum Beer 15 16-02-2006 04:14 PM
a fine Australian wine merchant/buy Australian wine online - award winning wine bailey Wine 4 12-01-2005 03:32 PM
a fine Australian wine merchant/buy Australian wine online - award winning wine bailey General Cooking 0 12-01-2005 03:30 AM
a fine Australian wine merchant/buy Australian wine online - award winning wine bailey Winemaking 0 12-01-2005 03:15 AM