Member

Default someone help me please!

hello all! im wanting to make some form of alcohol. whether it be wine/cider/beer/anything really! however i dont really want to have to buy any equipment. anyone got any strokes of genius they fancy passing my way?
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

osterage72 wrote:
> hello all! im wanting to make some form of alcohol. whether it be
> wine/cider/beer/anything really! however i dont really want to have to
> buy any equipment. anyone got any strokes of genius they fancy passing
> my way?

Cheapskate ;-). You're probably going to have to get something but I did do
a short article on a forum about cheap winemaking. Hang on I'll dig it out.
<rummages around on the internet>.

Somewhat abridged

You can make wine in a bucket so long as it's sterilised. Brand new buckets
are obviously better, don't use one that's been used for mixing cement or
cleaning out the rabbits. Clingfilm tied over the top will do as an airlock.
You can scrounge glass bottles from your local bottle bank/recycling place.
You can use plastic lemonade bottles but they aren't brilliant (look around
on this group for the reasons why) but at a pinch they're fine.

If you're making beer then you'll probably be making 4 or 5 gallons at once.
You'll need to get a brewing bucket for that or maybe a brand new plastic
dustbin. I can't off the top of my head think of any other sources for big
wide topped vessels.

--
Malc
R1100RS old and tatty

You laugh at me because I am different
I laugh at you because you are all the same

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

osterage72 > wrote:

> hello all! im wanting to make some form of alcohol.
> whether it be wine/cider/beer/anything really! however
> i dont really want to have to buy any equipment.
> anyone got any strokes of genius they fancy passing
> my way?

Gawd, I love straight men!

My original recipe for "Chateau Trailer Park" also known
as "21st Century Ripple" will not work for someone too
cheap to buy a 5 gallon pot and an airlock. So I have
revised it to keep your costs down.

First, the next time you are rummaging through your
local dump, pick up several two liter soda bottles.
It would be a good idea to wash them out with soap
and water which you can get in most gas station
rest rooms.

You'll need a cup of sugar per bottle. Just fill
a dry coffee cup with sugar at the soup kitchen.
You can roll a napkin to use it as a funnel.

The hard part is getting the proper yeast and that
you'll have to pay for. But, sit near the entrance
to a liquor store with a piece of paper saying
"Need Money for Beer". Then go to your local homebrew
store and buy a packet of Lalvin EC-1118 for every
four 2-liter bottle you have collected.

Now with the sugar in the bottle, fill the bottle
with hot water and shake it until the sugar has
dissolved. It's just like masturbating except it's
a lot bigger and you'll need two hands.

Try to do four bottles at a time so you don't have
to save the excess yeast. Just lay the yeast on
a pieces of paper and separate into four parts -
just like you use to do when you had the money to
buy hard drugs.

Oh, I forgot when you're at the dump, get bottle
caps too.

Put the caps on the bottles and shake them up to
the count of five. Then put them somewhere warm.
Every day open the cap on each bottle enough to
release the pressure, tighten the cap, and turn
the bottle upside down to get the yeast on the
bottom back into solution.

Do this for ten days. After then when you don't
hear any pressure released, you'll have 20 to
25 proof alcohol.

My original recipe was posted in 2005 and nobody
has reported going blind yet - well at least not
in both eyes.

Dick
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

try asking this on your local Freecycle forum. Maybe somebody will
take pity on you.

On Sun, 7 Dec 2008 13:30:24 +0000, osterage72
> wrote:

>hello all! im wanting to make some form of alcohol. whether it be
>wine/cider/beer/anything really! however i dont really want to have to
>buy any equipment. anyone got any strokes of genius they fancy passing
>my way?

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

That was really funny!

"Dick Adams" > wrote in message
> osterage72 > wrote:
>
>> hello all! im wanting to make some form of alcohol.
>> whether it be wine/cider/beer/anything really! however
>> i dont really want to have to buy any equipment.
>> anyone got any strokes of genius they fancy passing
>> my way?

> Gawd, I love straight men!
>
> My original recipe for "Chateau Trailer Park" also known
> as "21st Century Ripple" will not work for someone too
> cheap to buy a 5 gallon pot and an airlock. So I have
> revised it to keep your costs down.
>
> First, the next time you are rummaging through your
> local dump, pick up several two liter soda bottles.
> It would be a good idea to wash them out with soap
> and water which you can get in most gas station
> rest rooms.
>
> You'll need a cup of sugar per bottle. Just fill
> a dry coffee cup with sugar at the soup kitchen.
> You can roll a napkin to use it as a funnel.
>
> The hard part is getting the proper yeast and that
> you'll have to pay for. But, sit near the entrance
> to a liquor store with a piece of paper saying
> "Need Money for Beer". Then go to your local homebrew
> store and buy a packet of Lalvin EC-1118 for every
> four 2-liter bottle you have collected.
>
> Now with the sugar in the bottle, fill the bottle
> with hot water and shake it until the sugar has
> dissolved. It's just like masturbating except it's
> a lot bigger and you'll need two hands.
>
> Try to do four bottles at a time so you don't have
> to save the excess yeast. Just lay the yeast on
> a pieces of paper and separate into four parts -
> just like you use to do when you had the money to
> buy hard drugs.
>
> Oh, I forgot when you're at the dump, get bottle
> caps too.
>
> Put the caps on the bottles and shake them up to
> the count of five. Then put them somewhere warm.
> Every day open the cap on each bottle enough to
> release the pressure, tighten the cap, and turn
> the bottle upside down to get the yeast on the
> bottom back into solution.
>
> Do this for ten days. After then when you don't
> hear any pressure released, you'll have 20 to
> 25 proof alcohol.
>
> My original recipe was posted in 2005 and nobody
> has reported going blind yet - well at least not
> in both eyes.
>
> Dick

Member

class! thanks for the advice guys! iv now realised this is a 'septic tank' website! for u thick people in america, thats rhyming slang (and a pretty close comparison) to 'yanks'! so get yourself to some other poor 3rd world country, kill thousands of women and kids, and thieve all of there natural resources u scum bags!

@Now watch this drive...' ha! u people are a joke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Becker View Post
That was really funny!

"Dick Adams" wrote in message
osterage72
wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

osterage72 wrote:
> class! thanks for the advice guys! iv now realised this is a 'septic
> tank' website! for u thick people in america, thats rhyming slang (and
> a pretty close comparison) to 'yanks'! so get yourself to some other
> poor 3rd world country, kill thousands of women and kids, and thieve
> all of there natural resources u scum bags!

Oh, so you were a troll all along. BTW I'm posting from the UK

--
Malc
R1100RS old and tatty

You laugh at me because I am different
I laugh at you because you are all the same

Member

i wasnt talkin to u mate, i was talkin to that smart arsed yank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by malc View Post
osterage72 wrote:
class! thanks for the advice guys! iv now realised this is a 'septic
tank' website! for u thick people in america, thats rhyming slang (and
a pretty close comparison) to 'yanks'! so get yourself to some other
poor 3rd world country, kill thousands of women and kids, and thieve
all of there natural resources u scum bags!

Oh, so you were a troll all along. BTW I'm posting from the UK

--
Malc
R1100RS old and tatty

You laugh at me because I am different
I laugh at you because you are all the same
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

In article >
osterage72 > writes:

>i wasnt talkin to u mate, i was talkin to that smart arsed yank!

Congratulations. You have won today's Premium Clue.
Content:
When you post to Usenet, you are talking to everyone present,
probably on several continents.

Now bugger off and find someone who can sell you a shift key, an
apostrophe and the other two letters in "you."

--
Drew Lawson

I only came in search of answers, never planned to sell my soul
I only came in search of something left that I could call my own

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

osterage72 wrote:
> i wasnt talkin to u mate, i was talkin to that smart arsed yank!

You couldn't figure out this was a US based newgroup? Now let me lend you
some capital letters and a dictionary.

--
Malc
R1100RS old and tatty

You laugh at me because I am different
I laugh at you because you are all the same

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Dec 11, 9:38*pm, "malc" > wrote:
> osterage72 wrote:
> > i wasnt talkin to u mate, i was talkin to that smart arsed yank!

How terribly embarassing. Perhaps you should stick to crack? I
suspect the only thing you can make is 'a fool of yourself'.
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

jim c wrote:
> On Dec 11, 9:38 pm, "malc" > wrote:
>> osterage72 wrote:
>>> i wasnt talkin to u mate, i was talkin to that smart arsed yank!

> How terribly embarassing. Perhaps you should stick to crack? I
> suspect the only thing you can make is 'a fool of yourself'.

I hope you don't mean to attribute that illiterate comment to me.

--
Malc
R1100RS old and tatty

You laugh at me because I am different
I laugh at you because you are all the same

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Dec 9, 2:41*pm, "malc" > wrote:
> osterage72 wrote:
> > class! thanks for the advice guys! iv now realised this is a 'septic
> > tank' website! for u thick people in america, thats rhyming slang (and
> > a pretty close comparison) to 'yanks'! so get yourself to some other
> > poor 3rd world country, kill thousands of women and kids, and thieve
> > all of there natural resources u scum bags!

> Oh, so you were a troll all along. BTW I'm posting from the UK
>
> --
> Malc
> R1100RS old and tatty
>
> You laugh at me because I am different
> I laugh at you because you are all the same

>hello all! im wanting to make some form of alcohol. whether it be
>wine/cider/beer/anything really! however i dont really want to have to
>buy any equipment. anyone got any strokes of genius they fancy passing
>my way?

Umm...Osterage72, based on your requirements, I think this is a pretty
damn good way to make "free" ethanol. Quite creative really! You
could even make it high-end by finding the dregs of thrown out fruit
juice bottles and dripping them in too. Chances are they are already
on their way to fermentation anyway, so you'll have some uniqueness
too.

Or, if you have a store like Whole Foods (or trader joes?), they carry
1 gallon jugs of apple juice with no preservatives in glass
containers. PERFECT!
AppleJuice+Glass gallon jug = $6.99 Better yet, buy a couple. Now
we're at $13.98 ...hang in there, you can usually borrow this amount
from even not-so-reliable friends. Buy a packet of Lavlin1118
yeast...maybe $1.00 from a local homebrew shop. @14.98 now. Sprinkle
the packet into both jugs...it would work for up to 5 gallons if you
can scrape that kind of dough together for the extra juice. These
jugs wont handle carbonation, so don't seal them up when pitching the
yeast in...if you can afford rubber stoppers+airlocks (approx $3.00 at
my local homebrew shop), then great. If not, hobo-style will work
with varying results by using balloons, preferably sterilized by
boiling in water for a few minutes. If using balloons, don't poke
holes as you might risk infection of your cider. So we're at $14.98
if you can find a couple balloons, or $21.98 if you can get the
airlocks, which are reusable and preferred. Carefully rock the jugs
around daily and shake them up to get air moving around for 5 days or
so. After 5 days, don't shake anymore and let it keep going for a
couple/3 weeks and things start settling down. The crud at the bottom
is yeast. The stuff on top is ethanol and the remnants of the apple
juice. It will finish dry and perhaps contain about 6 or 7% alcohol
by volume. Drink that cider up. BTW, throw in a cup of sugar into
each jug in the beginning to boost ethanol levels. That yeast is
super hardy up to ridiculously high alcohol levels.

.... but if you're after cheap, I still suspect doing it from borrowed
sugar, bottles recovered from the trash, and a dollar of yeast is much
cheaper ($1.00) for gallons of simple ~20 proof alcohol is a better
way to go. Why sweat spending $21.98 for equivalent of 20x 355ml
bottles of cider when you could buy a 30 pack of Natural Ice for way
less?
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Dec 12, 9:51*pm, "malc" > wrote:
> jim c wrote:

> > How terribly embarassing. *Perhaps you should stick to crack? *I
> > suspect the only thing you can make is 'a fool of yourself'.

> I hope you don't mean to attribute that illiterate comment to me.
>
> --
> Malc
> R1100RS old and tatty
>
> You laugh at me because I am different
> I laugh at you because you are all the same

Heh heh, no Malc, sorry if I gave you that impression. You quoted
text was just the nearest copy of troll-text I could find. I think
the oik might have scampered off now...

Jim

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

get a gallon milk jug and a big 4 foot or so balloon at
walmart. dont steal baloon from kid,, get a frozen grape concentrate at
walmart , grape juice in bottle wont work,,. put it in the jug.add 2
pounds of sugar and fill with water ,leave 3 or 4 inches of air space.
put a few little peices of bread in it for yeast. a 1.00 package of
wineyeast would be more successfull. attach the balloon to the top of
the jug .the balloon will get big and when it goes down then you have an
alcoholic beverage....

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

You pathetic little troll, thank you for showing me what a great group this
is and, especially, thank you for prompting that brilliant reply by Dick
Adams. I've been lurking for a bit, but have decided to sign up for the full
tour.

Waterspider
(in Canada)

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Tue, 9 Dec 2008 10:16:50 +0000, osterage72
> wrote:

>class! thanks for the advice guys! iv now realised this is a 'septic
>tank' website! for u thick people in america, thats rhyming slang (and
>a pretty close comparison) to 'yanks'! so get yourself to some other
>poor 3rd world country, kill thousands of women and kids, and thieve
>all of there natural resources u scum bags!

You ask for help and that's what you say in return.

Dick was being funny, yes, but you obviously don't realize that his
advice really would work, and quite well. It wouldn't make a good
alcoholic beverage, but it would be quite alcoholic. It's very similar
to what we did in a college chemistry class before distilling it--for
educational purposes only, of course.

You COULD take this a step further and buy the book, the lure of still
building, and make a makeshift still out of things common to almost
every kitchen, to distill your alcohol, but if you live in the USA,
you would be breaking the law. Distillation of alcohol without a
permit, even for automotive fuel, is a federal crime.

I am quite serious about saying that Dick's approach will work. If you
wanted a GOOD tasting beverage, you have to get a little more
complicated and spend some money.

You can save some money on the yeast by making a 5 gallon batch and
using the one packet for the entire 5 gallons, let it ferment in the 5
gallon bucket, covered with polyethylene (Saran) wrap, and then bottle
it AFTER you are sure it is done fermenting. You could check to see if
pressure builds up in the 2 liter bottles over time and bleed that
off. If it's not too much pressure, it would make a carbonated
beverage. Not a good tasting one, but carbonated nonetheless.

If you want good flavor, beer is probably the easiest to fool with if
you want quick results and cheap ingredients. But you'll have to ask
nicely. The yahoo group Zymurgy might be of some help, but expect to
spend a little on equipment. You can use a 5 gallon food grade pail
and make 4 gallons of beer (you need some headspace for fermentation
activity), but you should have a cover, a hole in it, a rubber
stopper, and an airlock. You would need a second pail and some clear
food grade plastic tubing. Ingredients can be had somewhat
inexpensively if you buy malt extract in cans at a homebrew supply
store that are past their shelf date. Some come ready to make certain
styles, already hopped, so you would only need some corn sugar for
bottling, and possibly to boost the alcohol content if that's your
primary goal.

You can use 2 liter bottles but only if they are filled. Otherwise,
use smaller bottles for the last few.

More details can be had from the Zymurgy group if you really want to
pursue this.

Don