Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Turbo Yeast

Has anybody used this stuff for wine??? It is designed for distillers but my
supply shop said it is great for wine. I am skeptical. I thought I might
need it as my 31 brix must is having a rough time with RC212. I
reinocculated with EC1118, going slowly..but am nervous. I was using a
refractometer to monitor the progress, but have disovered it isn't usefull
for fermenting wines (thanks again Paul). I checked a couple of finished
wines that read 10 and 6 on it. I will recheck with my Hydro.
Lou...ferment on....

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

I'd be skeptical too! If it's so *great* for stuck wine why don't the
esteemed, august & imminently qualified vintners of this group evangelize
it? I've massaged 1118 to produce 15-18% alcohol fruit wines that were
well received & quite tasty. I didn't skimp on the yeast nutrients during
the process either, so ... I'd take it slowly & let the yeast do its
thing. AFAIK Turbo is in the "gasahol/moonshinepaint thinner" league...
Unless that's yer exterior motive ;^) regards, bob

"Lou" > wrote in message
> Has anybody used this stuff for wine??? It is designed for distillers but
> my supply shop said it is great for wine. I am skeptical. I thought I
> might need it as my 31 brix must is having a rough time with RC212. I
> reinocculated with EC1118, going slowly..but am nervous. I was using a
> refractometer to monitor the progress, but have disovered it isn't usefull
> for fermenting wines (thanks again Paul). I checked a couple of finished
> wines that read 10 and 6 on it. I will recheck with my Hydro.
> Lou...ferment on....

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

I would not be sceptical.
I would stay away from it for winemaking.

In fact I have used it in the past for making an
elderberry wine.
Turbo yeast then gave a bad smell and taste.
In the end we tossed it.
It is not meant for fermenting to a low alcohol percentage.

If you search turboyeast at the internet you will find
that it is specifically made for making high alcohol beverage with
sugar and water only within 24 to 48 hours.
Because the yeast is stressed it will give bad odor and taste.
Therefore the manuals say to filter it on active coal to get rid of
the smells. After filtering it you can distill it.

So do yourself a favor and do not use it for winemaking.

Luc

--
http://www.wijnmaker.blogspot.com/

Turbo Cooker Infomercial Mark Thorson General Cooking 5 22-12-2008 04:21 PM
Turbo Baker II with manual hawkeye Baking 0 06-05-2006 04:54 PM
Bottled Turbo Wine mdginzo Winemaking 11 15-12-2005 04:57 PM
Turbo Apple Cider mdginzo Winemaking 0 26-11-2005 05:39 PM
Turbo Yeast Dick Adams Winemaking 5 18-12-2004 06:08 AM