Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
JB JB is offline

Default Wine Kits with "Crushendo"

I'm currently experimenting with a few of the higher end wine kits that come
with wine skins or crushendo. These kits come with a mesh filter to place
over the end of the siphon to help filter out the solids when racking. There
was an awful lot left at the bottom of the tub when racking off for the
first time. For the second batch I thought about doing things a little
differently. Should I: 1) place the wine skins in cheese cloth and put this
into the tank for the initial fermenting, remove and strain out the juice or
2) rack off the wine and then place the skins in a cheese cloth and strain
juice into the tank for the second fermentation? 3) Another way?

TIA

JB

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

I, too, have been doing some crushendo kits. The first I used the nylon
thingie - hmm not the best solution. But it worked eventually after
unplugging it a couple times.
Next I tried cheese cloth for the skins, but was told it would not
"release" all the "whatever" (technical term)but it seemed to work.

Next I used the nylon thingie inside a cheese cloth over a strainer,
tied at the top. This seemed to work the easiest so that is what I do
now. Cheese cloth (not too fine) with tie on top, put in strainer to
open it up and keep the cloth expanded, then put the hose with nylon
thingie inside.
This also works and I've done 3 this way to my satisfaction.

I also learned if you get a little crushendo in the secondary, it will
eventually settle out, so don't go freaking crazy, it's no big deal. IMHO.

On my 16th kit and 14th recipe, but still learning.
DAve

JB wrote:
> I'm currently experimenting with a few of the higher end wine kits that come
> with wine skins or crushendo. These kits come with a mesh filter to place
> over the end of the siphon to help filter out the solids when racking. There
> was an awful lot left at the bottom of the tub when racking off for the
> first time. For the second batch I thought about doing things a little
> differently. Should I: 1) place the wine skins in cheese cloth and put this
> into the tank for the initial fermenting, remove and strain out the juice or
> 2) rack off the wine and then place the skins in a cheese cloth and strain
> juice into the tank for the second fermentation? 3) Another way?
>
> TIA
>
> JB

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

1. Crushendo is Winexpert's name for their kits that include grape
skins. It's not a generic name for grape skins (or at least this is
the first time I've heard it).

2. The general opinion seems to be that adding the grape skins loose
rather than in a bag allows the "whatever" to be fully extracted. I
have not done side-by=side testing, so have no opinion. I may depend
on how fully or loosely packed the bag is.

3. I have been putting the skins in loose, and then using a stainlees
steel strainer and chinois (aka china cap) to remove the skins from
the pail and drain back into the primary.

Steve

On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 20:19:41 -0400, DAve Allison
> wrote:

>I, too, have been doing some crushendo kits. The first I used the nylon
>thingie - hmm not the best solution. But it worked eventually after
>unplugging it a couple times.
>Next I tried cheese cloth for the skins, but was told it would not
>"release" all the "whatever" (technical term)but it seemed to work.
>
>Next I used the nylon thingie inside a cheese cloth over a strainer,
>tied at the top. This seemed to work the easiest so that is what I do
>now. Cheese cloth (not too fine) with tie on top, put in strainer to
>open it up and keep the cloth expanded, then put the hose with nylon
>thingie inside.
>This also works and I've done 3 this way to my satisfaction.
>
>I also learned if you get a little crushendo in the secondary, it will
>eventually settle out, so don't go freaking crazy, it's no big deal. IMHO.
>
>On my 16th kit and 14th recipe, but still learning.
>DAve
>

>JB wrote:
>> I'm currently experimenting with a few of the higher end wine kits that come
>> with wine skins or crushendo. These kits come with a mesh filter to place
>> over the end of the siphon to help filter out the solids when racking. There
>> was an awful lot left at the bottom of the tub when racking off for the
>> first time. For the second batch I thought about doing things a little
>> differently. Should I: 1) place the wine skins in cheese cloth and put this
>> into the tank for the initial fermenting, remove and strain out the juice or
>> 2) rack off the wine and then place the skins in a cheese cloth and strain
>> juice into the tank for the second fermentation? 3) Another way?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> JB

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

You are so right, Steve. Crushendo is a Winexpert name for kits that
include skins. My typing is sometimes lazy and I made it sound generic.
Crushendo is a trademark of Winexpert. Good catch on that!

Ah, so you remove the skins from the primary - I'll have to try that
technique! thanks. DAve