Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Mac Mac is offline

Default Sweet Red Wine

I am looking for a recipe for sweet red wine. I don't care for the dry
too much. Anybody like to share your recipe with me?

Mac
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Jun 13, 7:48 pm, Mac > wrote:
> I am looking for a recipe for sweet red wine. I don't care for the dry
> too much. Anybody like to share your recipe with me?
>
> Mac

Jack Keller has a corner on the recipe market. His site is at:
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/

A sweet red wine could be almost anything. Any red wine from Cabernet
to Pomegranate to whatever could be made as a sweet wine by
chaptilizing (adding sugar before fermentation) or backsweetening
(adding sugar post-fermentation).

Greg G.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Jun 14, 12:47 pm, wrote:
> On Jun 13, 7:48 pm, Mac > wrote:
>
> > I am looking for a recipe for sweet red wine. I don't care for the dry
> > too much. Anybody like to share your recipe with me?

> > Mac

> Jack Keller has a corner on the recipe market. His site is at:http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/
>
> A sweet red wine could be almost anything. Any red wine from Cabernet
> to Pomegranate to whatever could be made as a sweet wine by
> chaptilizing (adding sugar before fermentation) or backsweetening
> (adding sugar post-fermentation).
>
> Greg G.

Here is a specific one with easy to find juice.

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/request121.asp

Joe
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

As I understand it, chapitalization is the addition of sugar DURING
fermentation. It increases the alsohol content of the wine but does
not make it saweeter unless more sugar than the yeast can handle is
added.

Sweetening post-fermentation is the easiest route. Make a red wine,
do not go thru MLF, add sulfite and sorbate, then sweeten as desired.

Steve

On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 09:47:00 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

>On Jun 13, 7:48 pm, Mac > wrote:
>> I am looking for a recipe for sweet red wine. I don't care for the dry
>> too much. Anybody like to share your recipe with me?
>>
>> Mac

>Jack Keller has a corner on the recipe market. His site is at:

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/

>A sweet red wine could be almost anything. Any red wine from Cabernet
>to Pomegranate to whatever could be made as a sweet wine by
>chaptilizing (adding sugar before fermentation) or backsweetening
>(adding sugar post-fermentation).
>
>Greg G.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Jun 15, 9:26 pm, Madalch > wrote:
> What's wrong with sorbate? It seems that it's easier and more
> relaible than tryting to determine the exact alcohol theshold of a
> particular batch of yeast.

I have two problems with sorbate.

1) It's not 100% reliable at stopping fermentation. At least not when
used in the recommended quantities. If you sweeten after adding
sorbate and fermentation does restart, it can drag on for years,
literally. Believe me, I've seen this first hand.

2) Sorbate can impart a strange artificial flavor on a beverage. Not
everyone can taste this, but I can and I don't like it.

Since I tossed the sorbate, I've had no problems at all with renewed
fermentation. Calculating the sugar needed up front or at the end of
the process is easy to do and my end results (off-dry, semi-sweet,
etc.) have been exactly what I was shooting for.

Greg

wine too sweet [email protected] Winemaking 1 02-10-2008 11:11 PM
sweet wine Varghese Wine 16 27-10-2007 05:37 AM
Red wine too sweet Rodders Winemaking 1 22-10-2007 06:38 PM
wine too sweet!! Help! Dan the Man Winemaking 3 22-08-2006 11:27 PM
wine to sweet james Winemaking 8 18-01-2006 10:13 PM