Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Black Mold

At the gentle encouragement of wife, I am in the process of moving my
new wine storage operations to a new part of my cellar.

I've cleared it out and built some shelves in that location for my
carboys.

But in the process, I've noticed some black mold stains on the walls.

How important is it to remedy that prior to storing wine (and wine
equipement) nearby??

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Wayne Harris wrote:

> At the gentle encouragement of wife, I am in the
> process of moving my new wine storage operations
> to a new part of my cellar.
>
> I've cleared it out and built some shelves in
> that location for my carboys.
>
> But in the process, I've noticed some black mold
> stains on the walls.
>
> How important is it to remedy that prior to
> storing wine (and wine equipement) nearby??

Probably not a problem. I have a basement wine
cellar and there was some mold on the cinder
blocks prior to finishing the basement. You can
kill it - at least temporarily with chlorox
solution - and maybe risk cork taint - or use
H2O2 (Hydrogen Peroxide) on the mold. There may
be other product also. Others, will probably
chime in.
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

I certainly don;t have a definitive answer, but I also had some black
mold on some concrete when I built my cellar. I used a dilute chlorine
solution to kill / cleanse it, thoroughly rinsed it, dried, rinsed
again, dried (etc) before completing the cellar and moving the wine in.
To date (2 years) no mold, and no TCA.

On 2008-02-28 11:58:39 -0800, Wayne Harris > said:

> At the gentle encouragement of wife, I am in the process of moving my
> new wine storage operations to a new part of my cellar.
>
> I've cleared it out and built some shelves in that location for my
> carboys.
>
> But in the process, I've noticed some black mold stains on the walls.
>
> How important is it to remedy that prior to storing wine (and wine
> equipement) nearby??

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Feb 28, 5:19 pm, AxisOfBeagles > wrote:
> I certainly don;t have a definitive answer, but I also had some black
> mold on some concrete when I built my cellar. I used a dilute chlorine
> solution to kill / cleanse it, thoroughly rinsed it, dried, rinsed
> again, dried (etc) before completing the cellar and moving the wine in.
> To date (2 years) no mold, and no TCA.
>
> On 2008-02-28 11:58:39 -0800, Wayne Harris > said:
>

> > At the gentle encouragement of wife, I am in the process of moving my
> > new wine storage operations to a new part of my cellar.

> > I've cleared it out and built some shelves in that location for my
> > carboys.

> > But in the process, I've noticed some black mold stains on the walls.

> > How important is it to remedy that prior to storing wine (and wine
> > equipement) nearby??

There is no worry either way in my opinion. Some wine cellars in
Europe have at least a thousand years of mold growing in them. I
never finished my wine cellar, it was last painted in 1947 and looks
like it... I wouldn't worry about TCA and bleach as long as it
doesn't saturate a cork accidentally . Another option is boric acid
though.

Joe