Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default "topping off" vs Argon

OK, I need some opinions.
(First a bit of background.)
I have some 5 gallon test batches ready for secondary fermentation.
I have only 6.5 gallon carboys.

As you can see, i will have a lot of headspace with no extra wine to
"top off" with.

But, I have access to plenty of Argon gas and a regulator with a flow
meter so i can apply VERY slowly.

Instead of "topping off" my carboys, can i apply a good thick blanket
of argon?
Then apply the vapor lock as per normal.

Thoughts?
-Wayne

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Feb 15, 5:01*pm, Wayne Harris > wrote:
> OK, *I need some opinions.
> (First a bit of background.)
> I have some 5 gallon test batches ready for secondary fermentation.
> I have only 6.5 gallon carboys.
>
> As you can see, i will have a lot of headspace with no extra wine to
> "top off" with.
>
> But, *I have access to plenty of Argon gas and a regulator with a flow
> meter so i can apply VERY slowly.
>
> Instead of "topping off" my carboys, can i apply a good thick blanket
> of argon?
> Then apply the vapor lock as per normal.
>
> Thoughts?
> -Wayne

Sure, you can use Argon, just use enough volumes to displace all the
air.

Joe
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Jim Jim is offline

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 14:44:20 -0800 (PST), Joe Sallustio
> wrote:

>On Feb 15, 5:01*pm, Wayne Harris > wrote:
>> OK, *I need some opinions.
>> (First a bit of background.)
>> I have some 5 gallon test batches ready for secondary fermentation.
>> I have only 6.5 gallon carboys.
>>
>> As you can see, i will have a lot of headspace with no extra wine to
>> "top off" with.
>>
>> But, *I have access to plenty of Argon gas and a regulator with a flow
>> meter so i can apply VERY slowly.
>>
>> Instead of "topping off" my carboys, can i apply a good thick blanket
>> of argon?
>> Then apply the vapor lock as per normal.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>> -Wayne

>Sure, you can use Argon, just use enough volumes to displace all the
>air.
>
>Joe

Can you use CO2?
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Feb 17, 12:39*pm, Jim > wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 14:44:20 -0800 (PST), Joe Sallustio
>

> > wrote:
> >On Feb 15, 5:01*pm, Wayne Harris > wrote:
> >> OK, *I need some opinions.
> >> (First a bit of background.)
> >> I have some 5 gallon test batches ready for secondary fermentation.
> >> I have only 6.5 gallon carboys.

> >> As you can see, i will have a lot of headspace with no extra wine to
> >> "top off" with.

> >> But, *I have access to plenty of Argon gas and a regulator with a flow
> >> meter so i can apply VERY slowly.

> >> Instead of "topping off" my carboys, can i apply a good thick blanket
> >> of argon?
> >> Then apply the vapor lock as per normal.

> >> Thoughts?
> >> -Wayne

> >Sure, you can use Argon, just use enough volumes to displace all the
> >air.

> >Joe

> Can you use CO2?- Hide quoted text -

Doing a bit of research in this group, there has been some previous
discussions about the use of nitrogen/CO2/argon. All very good points
and from people much smarter than myselft.

There was some discussion about the ordor associated with CO2,
although in reading the threads, I did not get the impression that
there were any real evidence of the smell getting into the wine.

As an aside, I am running an experiment. I purchased some
"sacrificial" red wine. (Trust me, it was the cheap stuff).
I have 2 half gallon carboys. I sanitized them both and divided the
wine equally in each carboy. I topped off one with argon, and the
other with nothing.
I want to see how long the wine with the argon lasts. (I hope it
lasts a long time)
Any bets?

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

I use glass marbles to take up space in the bottom.

Shane

"Wayne Harris" > wrote in message
> OK, I need some opinions.
> (First a bit of background.)
> I have some 5 gallon test batches ready for secondary fermentation.
> I have only 6.5 gallon carboys.
>
> As you can see, i will have a lot of headspace with no extra wine to
> "top off" with.
>
> But, I have access to plenty of Argon gas and a regulator with a flow
> meter so i can apply VERY slowly.
>
> Instead of "topping off" my carboys, can i apply a good thick blanket
> of argon?
> Then apply the vapor lock as per normal.
>
> Thoughts?
> -Wayne

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

OK here's an idea. use a large latex balloon, and put it over the
mouth of the bottle . using the crevice tool of the vaccuum suck the
air out, and the balloon will collapse inwardly to the surface of the
wine (carefully time it so you don't suck wine out). Now put your
argon in, and you will be assured that there is very little O2 in the
bottle. I do this for 55 gallon primaries when I want to to extended
maceration. Only I use a trash bag, and I repeat the purge after the
argon is in the barrel, and then flush with argon again. So I
sacrifice one volumes worth of argon. It works wonderfully, however,
I've never tried it on a carboy scale. In fact, it may be easier to
use a regular shopping bag or a bread bag instead of a balloon which
will want to keep shrinking back on you. Let me know if it works.
Marc

On Feb 20, 6:39*pm, "news.bresnan.net" > wrote:
> I use glass marbles to take up space in the bottom.
>
> Shane
>
> "Wayne Harris" > wrote in message

> > OK, *I need some opinions.
> > (First a bit of background.)
> > I have some 5 gallon test batches ready for secondary fermentation.
> > I have only 6.5 gallon carboys.

> > As you can see, i will have a lot of headspace with no extra wine to
> > "top off" with.

> > But, *I have access to plenty of Argon gas and a regulator with a flow
> > meter so i can apply VERY slowly.

> > Instead of "topping off" my carboys, can i apply a good thick blanket
> > of argon?
> > Then apply the vapor lock as per normal.

> > Thoughts?
> > -Wayne- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Apr 15, 2:50*pm, wrote:
*Only I use a trash bag, and I repeat the purge after the
> argon is in the barrel,

you do realize that most garbage bags are made of non-food-safe
recycled plastics?
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

> wrote:

> OK here's an idea. use a large latex balloon,
> and put it over the mouth of the bottle. using
> the crevice tool of the vacuum suck the air out,

I'm missing something here. How do you insert
the crevice tool if the balloon is covering the
mouth of the bottle.

Why is argon better the CO2?

Why not give the carboy a shot of CO2 inserting
an the air stop you use for oxygen through the
shaft of the airlock. Any oxygen should escape
up the shaft. Afterwards you just insert the
airlock cup and put the top on the airlock.

Dick
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Apr 17, 2:56*am, (Dick Adams) wrote:
> > wrote:
> > OK here's an idea. *use a large latex balloon,
> > and put it over the mouth of the bottle. *using
> > the crevice tool of the vacuum suck the air out,

1)Slip the tool under the lip of the balloon. The tool does not have
to 'enter' the opening of the bottle. Think of it more like sucking
the air out of the bag /balloon, rather than sucking the air out of
the bottle.

2) Argon is better because CO2 can carbonate your wine. Which is fine
if you like that sort of thing, or plan to degass later.

3)CO2 and Oxygen readily mix, so you will likely still have O2 in the
bottle. To do what you are suggesting with the CO2 purge, you have to
push the CO2 in slowly and you need to monitor the expelled air for
O2. To do that, as the expelled air comes out, huide it out through a
tube into an upside down glass or container. In the container, burn a
candle. When the candle extinguishes due to lack of O2, you may have
a low enough concentration of O2 in the bottle. Alternatively, you
could put a canary in the bottle. But you will soon run our of
canaries if you have a lot of bottles.

4)As for the other question about the trashbag.When I put the trashbag
over my 55gal primary, I first put to layers of plastic wrap on the
surface of the wine. Also, the bag is not touching the surface anyhow
because of the argon blanket.