Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default extra yeast - add it to my last batch of must?

now I just pitched yeast for my last batch, and I noticed that I have
one extra package of yeast. Now I could let it sit in the fridge for
the next year until the plums ripen again, but I really dont want to
worry about it for that long.

I am betting some object in the fridge will puncture that yeast
package in the next 11 months, and yeast is cheap, why should i make
so much effort to save it?

just about all instructions say one package for every five gallons,
but can you add too much yeast?

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Tater -
I seem to recall a post once that claimed that it was possible to
add too much yeast. Seems unlikely to me, though. Over a pretty wide
range, adding more of the same yeast would just shorten (slightly) the
time required for the yeast to reach saturation and switch gears from
reproduction to fermentation. Using two packages of yeast for 5 or 6
gallons should be no problem at all.

Doug

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Oct 4, 2:12 pm, Doug > wrote:
> Tater -
> I seem to recall a post once that claimed that it was possible to
> add too much yeast. Seems unlikely to me, though. Over a pretty wide
> range, adding more of the same yeast would just shorten (slightly) the
> time required for the yeast to reach saturation and switch gears from
> reproduction to fermentation. Using two packages of yeast for 5 or 6
> gallons should be no problem at all.
>
> Doug

Beermakers often use 2 packets of yeast per 5 gallon batch...

Joe

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Yeast will multiply every 20 minutes in top comdition of the environment.
So if you would add lets say 2 grams them after 20 minutes
you will have the equivalent of 4 grammes, after 40 minutes 8 grammes.
After a while some yeast will start dying and a balance will be achieved.
So it is almost impossible to add too much yeast.

--
www.wijmaker.web-log.nl
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Oct 4, 1:12 pm, Doug > wrote:
> Using two packages of yeast for 5 or 6
> gallons should be no problem at all.

Well, I figured the responses would be like this, last night i dumped
the 3rd packet of yeast into the 7 gallons of must. If it gives me x-
ray vision or other super powers, you'll know the reason

If I tell you about it