Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
bobdrob

Default pitching a 2nd batch of yeast: peach wine redux

Greeting to the groupmiesters ( esp. HRH Dar ;>)

Peach wine: week 1 SG started @ 1.13, week 2 stalled @ 1.65, gave it some
Crosby enhancers, week 3 down to 1.50. It still tastes like M&R Asti
Spoogemonte. I have some high octane lalvin & red star premier coovay to
kick it up a notch. So, my question (and I do have one,) is : can anyone
give a reason to dissuade a 2nd pitching into the primary? expectantly,
bobdrob

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Ray Calvert

I assume your number are 1.130, 1.065, and 1.050 rather than the numbers you
gave. 1.130 is a very high starting number. It is surprising you were able
to start it at all. If you want to make high octane alcohol then you would
be better off feeding the sugar to the wine in batches. Start it at 1.090
and then add more sugar as the SG drops to about 1.010 or less. Starting at
1.130 and dropping to 1.050 you have already made over 10.5% alcohol and
there is still enough sugar to make another 6 or 7%. It is probably in
sugar/alcohol shock.

If you want to make a 18% wine then you might try making a strong Champaign
yeast starter and introducing the stuck wine slowly. If you are trying to
make a 12-14% wine then try watering down the wine, maybe adding a bit more
peaches if needed and then try to get it going again with a fresh starter.

Ray

"bobdrob" > wrote in message
> Greeting to the groupmiesters ( esp. HRH Dar ;>)
>
> Peach wine: week 1 SG started @ 1.13, week 2 stalled @ 1.65, gave it some
> Crosby enhancers, week 3 down to 1.50. It still tastes like M&R Asti
> Spoogemonte. I have some high octane lalvin & red star premier coovay to
> kick it up a notch. So, my question (and I do have one,) is : can anyone
> give a reason to dissuade a 2nd pitching into the primary?
> expectantly, bobdrob

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
bobdrob

thanx ray.. it's sat AM & i'm heading into the cellar w/ some more fruit,
h2o & fresh yeast. will post resulys etc as arises thanx again

"Ray Calvert" > wrote in message
>I assume your number are 1.130, 1.065, and 1.050 rather than the numbers
>you gave. 1.130 is a very high starting number. It is surprising you were
>able to start it at all. If you want to make high octane alcohol then you
>would be better off feeding the sugar to the wine in batches. Start it at
>1.090 and then add more sugar as the SG drops to about 1.010 or less.
>Starting at 1.130 and dropping to 1.050 you have already made over 10.5%
>alcohol and there is still enough sugar to make another 6 or 7%. It is
>probably in sugar/alcohol shock.
>
> If you want to make a 18% wine then you might try making a strong
> Champaign yeast starter and introducing the stuck wine slowly. If you are
> trying to make a 12-14% wine then try watering down the wine, maybe adding
> a bit more peaches if needed and then try to get it going again with a
> fresh starter.
>
> Ray
>
> "bobdrob" > wrote in message
>> Greeting to the groupmiesters ( esp. HRH Dar ;>)
>>
>> Peach wine: week 1 SG started @ 1.13, week 2 stalled @ 1.65, gave it some
>> Crosby enhancers, week 3 down to 1.50. It still tastes like M&R Asti
>> Spoogemonte. I have some high octane lalvin & red star premier coovay to
>> kick it up a notch. So, my question (and I do have one,) is : can anyone
>> give a reason to dissuade a 2nd pitching into the primary? expectantly,
>> bobdrob

extra yeast - add it to my last batch of must? Tater Winemaking 4 06-10-2007 02:54 AM
Aging Peach Wine and sweetening peach wine Robert Perkins Winemaking 3 11-11-2004 07:03 PM
Pitching yeast Dan Emerson Winemaking 3 07-11-2004 07:04 PM
Pitching yeast Joe Giller Winemaking 24 23-09-2004 05:57 PM
My first Batch yeast question Dan Winemaking 4 21-11-2003 04:49 PM