Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default ML fermentation

Another ML ? ... The liquid culture sold at my supply shop is a dose for 5
gallons, and costs 5 bucks! Can I use less culture, thereby stretching the 5
gallon dose to 2 or more five gallon batches of wine? Will the bacteria
multiply in the batch?
Happy fermenting

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Lou -
ML bacteria are living organisms and do reproduce. However, I
believe they reproduce a lot more slowly than most yeast varieties, so
you don't want to stretch things too far. And they are a lot more
fussy about their living conditions - alcohol level, temperature,
nutrients, SO2, etc. But I think a factor of 2 should be feasible, if
conditions are favorable. If not, the MLB will just die, and that can
happen regardless of whether you pitch them into 5 gallons or 10
gallons. MLF may well take longer, though, if you stretch one dose to
10 gallons . . .

Doug

Fermentation Tom Kunich Winemaking 6 09-02-2011 10:11 PM
Fermentation help Winemaking 2 23-09-2005 05:39 PM
Fermentation Bob Bart Winemaking 14 15-02-2005 08:49 PM
ML Fermentation Q Peter Muto Winemaking 7 03-01-2005 04:52 PM
Perry Fermentation - natural yeasts and malo-latic fermentation norm Winemaking 1 30-04-2004 01:52 PM