Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Fermentation

Something unusual happened this year. After barrel fermenting for 7
days, juice was pressed and transfered into demi-jons. However,
nothing is happening with bubblers. It seems to be wine already. Lots
of alchohol. It has been in the high 80's in Pittsburgh. Could 2
month's of total fermentation be done in 1 week? How would this affect
the wine taste.
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
pp pp is offline

On Sep 28, 8:10 am, wrote:
> Something unusual happened this year. After barrel fermenting for 7
> days, juice was pressed and transfered into demi-jons. However,
> nothing is happening with bubblers. It seems to be wine already. Lots
> of alchohol. It has been in the high 80's in Pittsburgh. Could 2
> month's of total fermentation be done in 1 week? How would this affect
> the wine taste.

Don't you have a hydrometer? And taste the wine?

Pp

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

hi bob ( drink...) 2 things come to mind : take a hydrometer reading; if
you're a 1.00 or less, it's done. We've had batches finish frmenting in the
primary in 5+ days when the temp's been high ( greater boston area.) So if
the numbers are right, don't sweat it... 2nd-B if the numbers are higher
than 1.00, then your fermentation's stalled & you can restart it. Googling
"restart stuck fermentation" will get you 65,000 suggestions... I like to
culture a batch of lalvin 1118 for my jump-starts as it's been great with
high alcohol levels. What is/was/were your : SG, type of yeast, type of
wine etc... regards, bob

> wrote in message
> Something unusual happened this year. After barrel fermenting for 7
> days, juice was pressed and transfered into demi-jons. However,
> nothing is happening with bubblers. It seems to be wine already. Lots
> of alchohol. It has been in the high 80's in Pittsburgh. Could 2
> month's of total fermentation be done in 1 week? How would this affect
> the wine taste.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Sep 28, 10:10 am, wrote:
> Something unusual happened this year. After barrel fermenting for 7
> days, juice was pressed and transfered into demi-jons. However,
> nothing is happening with bubblers. It seems to be wine already. Lots
> of alchohol. It has been in the high 80's in Pittsburgh. Could 2
> month's of total fermentation be done in 1 week? How would this affect
> the wine taste.

look again after 24 hours. had a small batch that dropped from 1.080
to 1.010 in 3 days. didnt have a small neough secondary so I put it in
7 wine bottles, each with airlocks. took four hours for bubbles to
start in a couple of them.

about 1.5 gallons primary, 60+ temps, one packet of yeast (blue
package, not lavin, recommended by shop) very weak bubbles, no foam,
grapes(traded from plums). odd compared to what i've seen in my 3
batches of plums and my wineexpert kit.

best advice i've heard so far it to wait ind see, hence my lack of
hour-by-hour posts

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

bobdrob wrote:

> hi bob ( drink...) 2 things come to mind : take a hydrometer reading; if
> you're a 1.00 or less, it's done. We've had batches finish frmenting in the
> primary in 5+ days when the temp's been high ( greater boston area.) So if
> the numbers are right, don't sweat it... 2nd-B if the numbers are higher
> than 1.00, then your fermentation's stalled & you can restart it. Googling
> "restart stuck fermentation" will get you 65,000 suggestions... I like to
> culture a batch of lalvin 1118 for my jump-starts as it's been great with
> high alcohol levels. What is/was/were your : SG, type of yeast, type of
> wine etc... regards, bob

EC1118 is a good choice for stuck ferments, but there is a new strain,
Lavin 43. This stuff is great. If you can get a hold of it then use it.
Make sure that you use some sugar to help reactivate it after rehydration.

James.

> > wrote in message
>
>>Something unusual happened this year. After barrel fermenting for 7
>>days, juice was pressed and transfered into demi-jons. However,
>>nothing is happening with bubblers. It seems to be wine already. Lots
>>of alchohol. It has been in the high 80's in Pittsburgh. Could 2
>>month's of total fermentation be done in 1 week? How would this affect
>>the wine taste.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Thanks everybody. I took the wait and see approach. Hydrometer
readings were good. Taste was good. Just very little, if any bubbling,
even after several days. By the way, grapes used were Tempranillo and
Zinfandel. I just never saw this happen before. Of course weather in
the 90's is a bit unusual for the end of Sept too.

Fermentation Tom Kunich Winemaking 6 09-02-2011 10:11 PM
Fermentation help Winemaking 2 23-09-2005 05:39 PM
Fermentation Bob Bart Winemaking 14 15-02-2005 08:49 PM
ML Fermentation Q Peter Muto Winemaking 7 03-01-2005 04:52 PM
Perry Fermentation - natural yeasts and malo-latic fermentation norm Winemaking 1 30-04-2004 01:52 PM