Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default How are people mixing up bentonite

I want to try to fine my Chardonnay as it is rather cloudy and the lees
had a slight sulfur smell.

Do I really need to drag out the blender?

I was going to use my stir plate.
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Sep 23, 10:51 am, homebrewdude >
wrote:
> I want to try to fine my Chardonnay as it is rather cloudy and the lees
> had a slight sulfur smell.
>
> Do I really need to drag out the blender?
>
> I was going to use my stir plate.

I've tried a number of different methods, but I find the blender the
best option.

Add boiling water to a blender to help sterilize it. Then, on low
pulse, slowly add your dosage of bentonite. You'll have to stirr it
eventually, so it's helpful to have a sterile spoon.

I also add in some sulfite at this time to help reduce oxygen uptake
during the fining process. It didn't work for my champagne, but it
did work for a friends (we dosed from the same batch at the same
time).

Good luck-

jason

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

homebrewdude wrote:

> I want to try to fine my Chardonnay as it is
> rather cloudy and the lees had a slight sulfur
> smell.
>
> Do I really need to drag out the blender?
>
> I was going to use my stir plate.

Best luck I have is by being patient.
I heat the suggested amount of water in a pan on
the stove and slowly sprinkle the bentonite in.
I let sit over night and stir. Sometimes a
little more water is necessary before adding to
the wine.
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

homebrewdude wrote:
> I want to try to fine my Chardonnay as it is rather cloudy and the lees
> had a slight sulfur smell.
>
> Do I really need to drag out the blender?
>
> I was going to use my stir plate.

I've always had good luck with a Protein Shake Mixer Bottle.
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
jim jim is offline

I just mix it in a jar and warm water then let it settle overnight
before giving it a last stir and using...

Jim

On Sep 24, 2:30 am, Derek Slife > wrote:
> homebrewdude wrote:
> > I want to try to fine my Chardonnay as it is rather cloudy and the lees
> > had a slight sulfur smell.

> > Do I really need to drag out the blender?

> > I was going to use my stir plate.

> I've always had good luck with a Protein Shake Mixer Bottle.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

I use a stir plate too, it will work. The normal proportions are a 5%
slurry, I let it sit one day before use. In small amounts I usually
inject it through a big syringe; that gets it mixed in pretty quickly.

I've used all the methods posted with good results too. Paul gives
good advice; if you dump it in quickly you usually end up with a clump
of mud that can be a pain to break up. Adding it patiently is the way
to go.

Joe

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Homebrew,

I use an attachment for a drill used for mixing grout or thinset.
Don't ruin your blender. Use something that is designed to be used
with a stone like substance. You can get them at Home Depot for 5
bucks.

Bob

Bentonite Tom[_1_] Winemaking 1 10-05-2008 06:18 AM
Bentonite Drunken Observer Winemaking 7 02-06-2005 02:41 PM
Hand mixing vs. Stand mixing Cadie Baking 12 23-06-2004 07:52 PM
Bentonite Juwanna Winemaking 9 10-04-2004 10:43 AM
bentonite Dar V Winemaking 12 02-01-2004 06:28 PM