Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default made a trade, now i need help

traded a freind of mine a 3 bottles of wine for about 10 pounds of
grapes. Havent done grape wine before, nto even sure what species of
grape.

nope, havent looked at kellers yet, or even looked thru the recipie
books I got.

I *think* half of this post is just a brag I've taken a useless
hobby and have started to profit from it.

the other half is that I now have 10 pounds of grapes that i need to
make wine with. I really was thinking that i'd be trading more along
the lines of non-wine stuff for wine.

oh well. anyone else been bartering?

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Personally I love to barter - one of the best reasons for making
larger and better batches.

BUt 10 pounds is a small lot and might be hard to vinify well. If you
can manage it successfully, it might be able to produce 1/2 to 2/3 of
one gallon - roughly 2 1/2 to 3 bottles of wine. Personally, I find
it really hard to press small loads, and to keep them free of air
exposure.

In article . com>

--
I'm using an evaluation license of nemo since 113 days.
You should really try it!

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
jim jim is offline

No Bartering, but I have to admit it's a shame you didnt get more like
16 lbs of grapes. Though I might add that I am doing my first little
from grape wine this year with unknown grapes.

I got 14lb of unknown variety from my father-in-law which surprisingly
gave me a gallon of juice. Even more surprisingly the OG was exactly
1.100 and the acid was only marginally too low...

I originally thought I was under volume so I rinsed out the skins in
the bag with about 750ml/ a quart of water and when I moved to
secondary I was left with about the same over after filling my demi
lol...

Good luck with the grapes however you make them up to a gallon and
happy trading.

Jim

On Sep 16, 5:21 pm, AxisOfBeagles > wrote:
> Personally I love to barter - one of the best reasons for making
> larger and better batches.
>
> BUt 10 pounds is a small lot and might be hard to vinify well. If you
> can manage it successfully, it might be able to produce 1/2 to 2/3 of
> one gallon - roughly 2 1/2 to 3 bottles of wine. Personally, I find
> it really hard to press small loads, and to keep them free of air
> exposure.
>
> In article . com>
>
> > wrote:
> > traded a freind of mine a 3 bottles of wine for about 10 pounds
> > ofgrapes. Havent done grape wine before, nto even sure what species
> > of grape.
> > nope, havent looked at kellers yet, or even looked thru the
> > recipiebooks I got.
> > I *think* half of this post is just a brag I've taken a
> > uselesshobby and have started to profit from it.
> > the other half is that I now have 10 pounds of grapes that i need
> > to make wine with. I really was thinking that i'd be trading more
> > alongthe lines of non-wine stuff for wine.
> > oh well. anyone else been bartering?

> --
> I'm using an evaluation license of nemo since 113 days.
> You should really try it!http://www.malcom-mac.com/nemo

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Assuming you have some kind of red/blue grapes, especially of a
labrusca type, you can make do with Keller's recipe for Concord that
uses 6 lbs of grapes per gallon. It may water it down more than you
prefer, but you should be able to get at least a gallon (5 bottles)
from that many grapes.

On Sep 16, 9:25 am, Tater > wrote:
> traded a freind of mine a 3 bottles of wine for about 10 pounds of
> grapes. Havent done grape wine before, nto even sure what species of
> grape.
>
> nope, havent looked at kellers yet, or even looked thru the recipie
> books I got.
>
> I *think* half of this post is just a brag I've taken a useless
> hobby and have started to profit from it.
>
> the other half is that I now have 10 pounds of grapes that i need to
> make wine with. I really was thinking that i'd be trading more along
> the lines of non-wine stuff for wine.
>
> oh well. anyone else been bartering?

What will you trade? Virginia Tadrzynski Preserving 18 29-11-2007 11:09 PM
US-made pizza recalled due to E. coli; maybe China should boycott all US-made pizzas [email protected] General Cooking 29 08-11-2007 11:58 PM
Recipe Trade Jess General Cooking 9 11-09-2005 07:58 PM
Adventures in the wine trade ... Nils Gustaf Lindgren Wine 0 03-04-2005 08:54 AM
Fair Trade (3 Stories) Dan Clore Coffee 0 21-06-2004 11:05 PM