Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Gettting grapes from a 1-ton T-bin

Hello, I'm trying out a 1-ton T-bin this year, and was wondering if
anyone had experience on a good process of getting the grapes out of
the bin and into the crusher. What type of tool, if any, are you
using?

Thanks! -David
Denver, CO USA

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

I've not dealt with a full ton - 1/4 to 1/2 ton are my range; but when
dealing with larger loads like those, the best tools I've used are the
large food-grade plastic fork and shovel that you can get from most
any winery supplier. I first used them at a commerical winery when I
was there to pick up a 500 pound load of grapes - they made short work
of it. Swear by em since.

In article
. com>"David D."

--
I'm using an evaluation license of nemo since 102 days.
You should really try it!

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Thanks for the reply. I've seen those hygenic tooks, but was a bit
concerned that they wouldn't reach deep into the bin...which is about
4 feet deep. Some of the shovels/pitchforks I looked at didn't seem
to be much longer that 4ft. The top fruit should be easy to get at,
but that bottom stuff might be an issue. I'd really like to avoid
climbing into the bin...but that may be the only option. -David

On Sep 5, 11:21 am, AxisOfBeagles > wrote:
> I've not dealt with a full ton - 1/4 to 1/2 ton are my range; but when
> dealing with larger loads like those, the best tools I've used are the
> large food-grade plastic fork and shovel that you can get from most
> any winery supplier. I first used them at a commerical winery when I
> was there to pick up a 500 pound load of grapes - they made short work
> of it. Swear by em since.
>
> In article
> . com>"David D."
>
> > wrote:
> > Hello, I'm trying out a 1-ton T-bin this year, and was wondering if
> > anyone had experience on a good process of getting the grapes out
> > ofthe bin and into the crusher. What type of tool, if any, are you
> > using?
> > Thanks! -David
> > Denver, CO USA

> --
> I'm using an evaluation license of nemo since 102 days.
> You should really try it!http://www.malcom-mac.com/nemo

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

That's why you need the sholvel as well as the fork - the fork is
great for the stacked up grapes, but when you get down towards the
bottom, the wide mouth shovel is needed. I have used these in the
half-ton macrobins with ease - I would think they would be good for
containers larger still.

Good luck!

In article
. com>"David D."
> wrote:
> Thanks for the reply. I've seen those hygenic tooks, but was a bit
> concerned that they wouldn't reach deep into the bin...which is about
> 4 feet deep. Some of the shovels/pitchforks I looked at didn't seem
> to be much longer that 4ft. The top fruit should be easy to get at,
> but that bottom stuff might be an issue. I'd really like to
> avoidclimbing into the bin...but that may be the only option. -David

> On Sep 5, 11:21 am, AxisOfBeagles > wrote:
>> I've not dealt with a full ton - 1/4 to 1/2 ton are my range; but
>> when dealing with larger loads like those, the best tools I've used
>> are the large food-grade plastic fork and shovel that you can get
>> from most any winery supplier. I first used them at a commerical
>> winery when I was there to pick up a 500 pound load of grapes - they
>> made short work of it. Swear by em since.

>> In article
>> . com>"David D."

>> > wrote:
>> > Hello, I'm trying out a 1-ton T-bin this year, and was

>> wondering if > anyone had experience on a good process of getting
>> the grapes out > ofthe bin and into the crusher. What type of tool,
>> if any, are you > using?
>> > Thanks! -David
>> > Denver, CO USA

>> --
>> I'm using an evaluation license of nemo since 102 days.
>> You should really try it!http://www.malcom-mac.com/nemo

--
I'm using an evaluation license of nemo since 104 days.
You should really try it!

New grapes Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 8 23-09-2015 10:04 PM
Grapes Marilyn[_3_] Preserving 11 01-10-2009 04:04 PM
gettting used to my new knives -L. General Cooking 0 12-08-2005 09:19 AM
I need help I'm gettting ready to buy a new dish washer and need to know what feature's.... Marc General Cooking 22 05-05-2005 01:11 PM