Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Dandelion Woes...

Someone asked how I make Dandelion Wine:

I use a recipe I got fro Jack Keller's website the only thing I do
differently to this wine is add sulfite:

Lorine's Favorite
2 qts dandelion flowers
3 lbs granulated sugar
4 oranges
1 gallon water
yeast and nutrient
This is the traditional "Midday Dandelion Wine" of old, named because
the flowers must be picked at midday when they are fully open. Pick
the flowers and bring into the kitchen. Set one gallon of water to
boil. While it heats up to a boil, remove as much of the green
material from the flower heads as possible (the original recipe calls
for two quarts of petals only, but this will work as long as you end
up with two quarts of prepared flowers). Pour the boiling water over
the flowers, cover with cloth, and leave to seep for two days. Do not
exceed two days. Pour the mixture back into a pot and bring to a boil.
Add the peelings from the four oranges (again, no white pith) and boil
for ten minutes. Strain through a muslin cloth or bag onto acrock or
plastic pail containing the sugar, stirring to dissolve. When cool,
add the juice of the oranges, the yeast and yeast nutrient. Pour into
secondary fermentation vessel, fit fermentation trap, and allow to
ferment completely. Rack and bottle when wine clears. Again, allow it
to age six months in the bottle before tasting, but a year will
improve it vastly. This wine has less body than the first recipe
produces, but every bit as much flavor (some say more!).
The Anchorage Fishwrapper and Litterbox Liner Press

Dandelion Woes... A. J. Rawls Winemaking 4 05-06-2007 10:14 PM
Dandelion Woes... A. J. Rawls Winemaking 1 07-02-2006 07:02 PM
Dandelion Woes... Rick Vanderwal Winemaking 26 29-05-2005 05:46 AM
dandelion Vicki Beausoleil Diabetic 0 24-04-2005 04:30 PM
dandelion Vicki Beausoleil Diabetic 0 24-04-2005 04:30 PM