Old 09-05-2004, 05:10 AM
Rick Vanderwal

Default Dandelion Woes...

ugh....
I've been reading all the joy and delight peopel find in making dandelion
wine.
I've found numerous recipes.
Around where I live - many many dandelions!

The problem - lots of rain lately.
Plus, many of them are starting to die off.
And..I have a conference in Cleveland for 3 days...
And what I did take an hour to pick and another hour to snip - wasn't even
enough for one cup of petals! and now because of business and not enough to
even start a batch...they've died and dried.

I'd really love to make it. but it sure is labour intensive.
oh well, unless they live for another week, maybe next year. :-(

Rick

Old 09-05-2004, 09:07 AM
A.J. Rawls

I saw our first few Dandelion blossoms on south facing slopes this
weekend.. We should get plenty in the next few weeks.

I made several batches and entered some in our State Fair
competition... Everyone here, including wine judges, seems to prefer
a medium bodied wine made from the whole blosson (including the green
cup like part)... The wine made fro the complete blosson took first
place... Those made from just the petals did not even place...

I can't keep enough of the wine made from the complete blossom to meet
my family's needs... Nobody wants to drink that made from just the
petals after the taste the other stuff... It just sits in the
rack....

That is the way it works with my family here in Anchorage and with our
judges... Your mileage may vary

A.J. Rawls
Anchorage, Alaska, USA

Old 09-05-2004, 11:51 PM
Dar V

Hey,
Next year, pick and freeze and then make when you have the time. You're
absolutely right it is labor intensive, and the flowers are not around long,
but I picked and froze depending on my availability and then made it when I
had enough.
Darlene

Old 10-05-2004, 12:17 AM
Joe

On 05/09/2004 12:10 AM, Rick Vanderwal said:
ugh....
I've been reading all the joy and delight peopel find in making dandelion
wine.
I've found numerous recipes.
Around where I live - many many dandelions!

The problem - lots of rain lately.
Plus, many of them are starting to die off.
And..I have a conference in Cleveland for 3 days...
And what I did take an hour to pick and another hour to snip - wasn't even
enough for one cup of petals! and now because of business and not enough to
even start a batch...they've died and dried.

I'd really love to make it. but it sure is labour intensive.
oh well, unless they live for another week, maybe next year. :-(

Rick

The first cup is the hardest. ;-) Once I get a good rythm going,
it doesn't take me long at all. I never timed it but this year I
picked 24 cups of dandelion petals. I did it over 2 days, and I'd
guess that the 12 cups each day took about an hour and a half.
Maybe 30 minutes to pick the flowers, and 60 minutes of pulling the
petals off. I just hold the base (calyx) tightly in my left hand,
and with right hand I bunch up the petals and twist off. If I
ignore the few bits of green that get in with the petals, and don't
worry over a few petals getting tossed away with the calyx, it does
go really fast.

Next year I might time myself. Mabye I'll count how many flowers
too - it would be fun to know, but I doubt if I can pay attention
that long.

--
Joe
http://www.joekaz.net/

Old 16-05-2004, 03:32 AM
Rob M

AJ.

What recipe do you use for the whole flower? That would be much easier to pick.

Rob

Old 16-05-2004, 05:21 AM
Rick Vanderwal

well, I got back from my conference,
and we've had rain, rain, rain.
I look, and all I see are white fuzzy balls, ready and waiting for the wind
to carry the dandelion seeds to prepare for next year's crop. And so I will
also wait. So, about 340 days and counting.
Sigh...
.................................................. ..........
Oh well, rhubarb's around the corner!
and so are blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, elderberries,
raspberries, pears, peaches, and.......concord grapes.
I know it's not cabs, merlots, rieslings, but when in Michigan...

Rick

Old 16-05-2004, 01:39 PM
Dar V

You're right. I just picked my first rhubarb from the garden. Right now it
is cut up and in the freezer, waiting until I get enough to make a batch. I
have an oregano plant which is really doing well to - so far I have two
quarts of leaves frozen to try a batch of wine in about a week or so.
Darlene
G-town, Wisconsin
USA

"Rick Vanderwal" wrote in message
well, I got back from my conference,
and we've had rain, rain, rain.
I look, and all I see are white fuzzy balls, ready and waiting for the

wind
to carry the dandelion seeds to prepare for next year's crop. And so I

will
also wait. So, about 340 days and counting.
Sigh...

.................................................. .........

Old 16-05-2004, 08:07 PM
ed montforts

Sigh.........!
Had I known that before.. but first things first. I moved to the new house
I've built, on january 4th, and planted in the meadow adjacent to the
backgarden 170 Regent (red, Bordeaux-type) and 51 Léon Millot (red,
Beaujolais-type); this fall 49 Birstaler Muskat (white) will follow. That
means waiting for three years, mostly growing wood, and than growing grapes
for a year, and than making wine and maturing for a few years, and
than.......I bet you that my physician will tell me then that it's better
for me if I stop drinking!!!!! And his name isn't even Murphy. So what do I
do in the meantime? Making wine out of everything that doesn't move when I
touch it. Dandelion was on the schedule for april this year. I picked I
think a truckload of flowers, scissored frantically for over eleven hours!!!
and added a bucket full of various enzymes, acids, inverted beetsugar and so
on. I hated the wine at that moment. Never, never again. But, now, after
just a few weeks 33 liter is resting and ripening in the basement. Maybe,
next year... Now I have read this using the whole flower.......... YES!!!!
That must be it. I'll try in september (second bloom).
But first there are the elderflowers....... Almost out of parselywine you
know. Carrotport just two or three bottles left (depends on whom you
believe: my computer says three; my winecellar says two..) so I must have
something that is ready within a few months. Elderflowerwine is.
Ed

No flowers, no bees,
no leaves on the trees;
no wonder
november.

"Rob M" schreef in bericht
om...

Old 17-05-2004, 03:49 AM
Rob M

In regard to these millions of recipes that I have been sent they keep
mentioning that you should peel the orange very thinly. Would that
mean you use a zester?

Old 17-05-2004, 08:33 AM
ed montforts

Yep! A zester or a potatoe peeler or a knife, as long as you leave the zest
(the white) alone. It is bitter, and you don't want that. Just take the
coloured part of the skin. It contains the oil you do want. And a zester is
easy to use... Good thinking. But first wash with hot water. Sometimes a wax
is used to spray oranges and lemons after picking, and spraying residue
could be present too. Remove that by washing.

Ed

"Rob M" schreef in bericht
m...

Old 28-05-2004, 01:53 AM
A.J. Rawls

Dandelions are finally in full bloom here in Anchorage... I started
23L using one half whole blossoms and one half petals.

I will start anothe 23L using whole blossoms only this weekend.

A. J. Rawls
Anchorage, Alaska, USA

Old 28-05-2004, 05:46 AM
A.J. Rawls

Disaster :-(

I racked into a 25L carboy, I decided at add 500ml of white grape
concentrate and grabbed the wrong bottle and poured in 500ml of Wine
Conditioner.

I guess I better start picking again... This disheartening

A.J.

wrote:

Yep! A zester or a potatoe peeler or a knife, as long as you leave the zest
(the white) alone. It is bitter, and you don't want that. Just take the
coloured part of the skin. It contains the oil you do want. And a zester is
easy to use... Good thinking. But first wash with hot water. Sometimes a wax
is used to spray oranges and lemons after picking, and spraying residue
could be present too. Remove that by washing.

Ed

"Rob M" schreef in bericht
. com...

Old 28-05-2004, 12:41 PM
Dar V

Yikes. Got enough dandelions? That's a huge batch - I barely lasted
picking for a one gallon. Hang in there. This is the first year, I decided
not to make dandelion wine, but instead I made oregano wine. I'll make
dandelion wine again next year, after I see how my dandelion wine has aged.
I might make some changes in my recipe depending how it tastes.
Darlene
G'town Wisconsin
USA

wrote:

Yep! A zester or a potatoe peeler or a knife, as long as you leave the

zest
(the white) alone. It is bitter, and you don't want that. Just take the
coloured part of the skin. It contains the oil you do want. And a zester

is
easy to use... Good thinking. But first wash with hot water. Sometimes a

wax
is used to spray oranges and lemons after picking, and spraying residue
could be present too. Remove that by washing.

Ed

"Rob M" schreef in bericht
. com...
In regard to these millions of recipes that I have been sent they keep
mentioning that you should peel the orange very thinly. Would that
mean you use a zester?

Dandelion Woes... A. J. Rawls Winemaking 0 12-07-2007 03:33 AM
Dandelion Woes... A. J. Rawls Winemaking 4 05-06-2007 10:14 PM
Dandelion Woes... A. J. Rawls Winemaking 1 07-02-2006 07:02 PM
dandelion Vicki Beausoleil Diabetic 0 24-04-2005 04:30 PM
dandelion Vicki Beausoleil Diabetic 0 24-04-2005 04:30 PM