Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Grammar error? instructions

one set of instructions say rack the sediment from the primary to the
secondary and then to rack the sediment from the secondary into
bottles.

I assume they meant wine and not sediment.

just looked odd so I thought I'd ask

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
jim jim is offline

Yes they did, unless you are trying to make sediment wine. Horrors on the lees!

Jim

"Tater" > wrote in message oups.com...
> one set of instructions say rack the sediment from the primary to the
> secondary and then to rack the sediment from the secondary into
> bottles.
>
> I assume they meant wine and not sediment.
>
> just looked odd so I thought I'd ask

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
jim jim is offline

Do they say 'rack off the sediment into the secondary', meaning rack the wine off the sediment and into the secondary.

Jim

"jim" > wrote in message ...
> Yes they did, unless you are trying to make sediment wine. Horrors on the lees!
>
> Jim
>
> "Tater" > wrote in message oups.com...
>> one set of instructions say rack the sediment from the primary to the
>> secondary and then to rack the sediment from the secondary into
>> bottles.
>>
>> I assume they meant wine and not sediment.
>>
>> just looked odd so I thought I'd ask

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Mar 20, 8:18 pm, "jim" > wrote:
> Do they say 'rack off the sediment into the secondary', meaning rack the wine off the sediment and into the secondary.
>
> Jim

yes, but shouldnt it then be 'rack off *OF* the sediment into the
secondary'

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
jim jim is offline

In UK English it wouldn't be, though if the author is American perhaps it would - I don't know.

IMHO The full sentence expressed conversationally would be: "Rack the wine off the sediment and into the secondary."

Jim

Tater" > wrote in message oups.com...
> On Mar 20, 8:18 pm, "jim" > wrote:
>> Do they say 'rack off the sediment into the secondary', meaning rack the wine off the sediment and into the
>> secondary.
>>
>> Jim

> yes, but shouldnt it then be 'rack off *OF* the sediment into the
> secondary'

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Another interpretation. They may have been suggesting that after racking
the wine off the sedement, you rack the sedement into smaller bottles. It
will then clear again and you should be able to recover a bit more wine. I
don't know if that is what they ment but it might fit and it is a practice
that is followed a lot.

Ray

"jim" > wrote in message
> In UK English it wouldn't be, though if the author is American perhaps it
> would - I don't know.
>
> IMHO The full sentence expressed conversationally would be: "Rack the wine
> off the sediment and into the secondary."
>
> Jim
>
> Tater" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> On Mar 20, 8:18 pm, "jim" > wrote:
>>> Do they say 'rack off the sediment into the secondary', meaning rack the
>>> wine off the sediment and into the secondary.
>>>
>>> Jim

>> yes, but shouldnt it then be 'rack off *OF* the sediment into the
>> secondary'

For the wannabe grammar cops Dave Smith[_1_] General Cooking 12 04-12-2013 01:03 AM
Emeril's saffron error? alforgnel General Cooking 6 09-04-2008 08:54 AM
Wikipedia error? Melinda Tea 12 24-05-2006 01:22 AM
Titration error pp Winemaking 12 29-03-2004 09:57 PM
Error in wine Kit BooBoo Winemaking 8 21-02-2004 06:39 AM