BooBoo

Default Error in wine Kit

I just realized I made a mistake when making a BrewKing red wine kit. On
step 3 you are supposed to add the Potassium Sorbate and Potassium
Metabisulphate to the carboy and stir to remove CO2 from the wine, then add
the Chitosan and stir again. What I did wrong was I racked to a bucket and
stirred in the bucket. I assume I added a bunch of unwanted O2. Will this
effect the taste of the wine? Will it effect the shelf life of the wine?
Should I add a little more Potassium Metabisulphate just before bottling,
the kit does not call for it.

Edwin Pawlowski

BooBoo wrote:
> I just realized I made a mistake when making a BrewKing red wine kit.
> On step 3 you are supposed to add the Potassium Sorbate and Potassium
> Metabisulphate to the carboy and stir to remove CO2 from the wine,
> then add the Chitosan and stir again. What I did wrong was I racked
> to a bucket and stirred in the bucket. I assume I added a bunch of
> unwanted O2. Will this effect the taste of the wine? Will it effect
> the shelf life of the wine? Should I add a little more Potassium
> Metabisulphate just before bottling, the kit does not call for it.

Not to worry.

Some brands of kits tell you to rack to a bucket, add the chemicals and
stir, then return to a clean carboy.

As for adding a little more pot met, yes, I do. I also rack at least one
more time and let it age in the carboy for up to a year. You'll find that
the extra racking gets rid of a lot of sediment and give a clearer finished
product.

Once you made a couple of kit according to the instructions, don't be afraid
to make minor changes, especially adding time.--
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

BooBoo

> As for adding a little more pot met, yes, I do.

How much would you add for 6 gallons.

Insprucegrove

Different kit manfacturers give different instructions--et Spagnols (and their
no name Makes like Western Cellars) tell you to to exactly what you have done.

Brewking/Vineco ask you to do it as you have stated. Personally, I have always
racked to a bucket, addes the chemicals and then the clearing agent. Sometimes
I add the clearing agent to the carboy a few days later. Vineco is also made
by Brew King and if you followed their instructions to the letter, you would
only rack once (ie after the intial fermentation). Rest of the time they have
it in the same carboy all the time.

Most of us would not follow that line of thinking.

Don't worry too much about it. Let it sit and clear a few weeks longer than
they say and you should have good results.

>I just realized I made a mistake when making a BrewKing red wine kit. On
>step 3 you are supposed to add the Potassium Sorbate and Potassium
>Metabisulphate to the carboy and stir to remove CO2 from the wine, then add
>the Chitosan and stir again. What I did wrong was I racked to a bucket and
>stirred in the bucket. I assume I added a bunch of unwanted O2. Will this
>effect the taste of the wine? Will it effect the shelf life of the wine?
>Should I add a little more Potassium Metabisulphate just before bottling,
>the kit does not call for it.

Edwin Pawlowski

BooBoo wrote:
>> As for adding a little more pot met, yes, I do.

> How much would you add for 6 gallons.

A teaspoon should do it.
--
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Joe Sallustio

Whoa. That's a lot, about 150 PPM from my calculations. I would do
no more than 1/4 teaspoon.
Regrads,
Joe

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message . com>...
> BooBoo wrote:
> >> As for adding a little more pot met, yes, I do.

> > How much would you add for 6 gallons.

> A teaspoon should do it.

Don S

> >> As for adding a little more pot met, yes, I do.
> >
> > How much would you add for 6 gallons.

> A teaspoon should do it.

Wouldn't that be alot considering he also added the
package of potassium meta that came with the kit?
I'd think an additional 1/4 tsp would be about right.
According to Jack Keller's site 1 tsp would raise
5 US gal to ~180 ppm:

Potassium metabisulfite, 1/4 teaspoon = 225 ppm in
1 gallon, 45 ppm in 5 gallons

Don
Edwin Pawlowski

"Joe Sallustio" > wrote in message
om...
> Whoa. That's a lot, about 150 PPM from my calculations. I would do
> no more than 1/4 teaspoon.
> Regrads,
> Joe

I don't know, I just followed the directions on the label. Never cause a
problem so far.
Ed

Richard Kovach

All the kits that I've done already include far more potassium
metabisulfite than is necessary to adequately protect the wine, even
in the scenario you described. After doing several kits (and now
several batches of wine from fresh grapes) and measuring the SO2
levels in order to determine how much K-metabisulfite to add, I've
only ever used a small fraction of what is included in a typical kit.

I certainly would not add an entire additional teaspoon -- my educated
guess in that scenario (where you added all the kit plus a teaspoon)
is that you'd end up with 300-400 ppm. Based on the typical pH of a
finished kit wine, you only need roughly 10% of that under normal
circumstances.

Cheers!
Richard

"BooBoo" > wrote in message news:<63qZb.5750$C21.3810@fed1read07>...
> What if I used camden tabs?
>

> "Don S" > wrote in message
> om...

> > > A teaspoon should do it.

> > Wouldn't that be alot considering he also added the
> > package of potassium meta that came with the kit?
> > I'd think an additional 1/4 tsp would be about right.
> > According to Jack Keller's site 1 tsp would raise
> > 5 US gal to ~180 ppm:
> >
> > Potassium metabisulfite, 1/4 teaspoon = 225 ppm in
> > 1 gallon, 45 ppm in 5 gallons
> >

> > Don

Wine faq site modified to get rid of error message ads cwdjrxyz Wine 0 11-11-2010 07:28 PM
Emeril's saffron error? alforgnel General Cooking 6 09-04-2008 08:54 AM
Apologies for Technical Error Shen Tea 0 20-08-2006 07:16 PM
Wikipedia error? Melinda Tea 12 24-05-2006 01:22 AM
Titration error pp Winemaking 12 29-03-2004 09:57 PM