Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default looking for advice

Below is my attempt at the wine in Terry Gareys book (apple wine)

1/14/2007 Apple wine
Recipe The Joy of Home WineMaking by Terry Garey (pg 24)
12oz can of frozen apple juice concentrate Old Orchard
6oz of lemonade concentrate Minute Maid
30oz (3 jars) of apple blossom honey Love Creek Orchards
˝ tsp pectic enzyme
˝ tsp yeast neutralizer
1.100 hydrometer at 84° F SG
Wyeast Labs 4766 Cider smack pack
Topped off up to 1 gallon.
Fermented at 64.7°-65.6° F
1/25/07 1.008 hydrometer at 65° F

What should the sample taste like? It tastes a little sour/harsh with
my untrained tongue. Will it soften as it ages? How does one train
the palate (sp?) to recognize appropriate flavors? Any body in the
Chicagoland area? I'm in a western burb.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Don't panick.

Apple wine is always harsh at the beginning.

Several thoughts occur he
- Did you degass the wine. There may be CO2 dissolved in the wine
that makes the wine taste harsh
- Apple wine has as major acid: apple acid wich is a harsh acid.
- How old is the wine. Apple wine has to age for several months.
_ How much alcohol is in it. The harsh acid with a lot of CO2 and a lot of
alcohol will give a too harsh taste.

My advise: Stirr it or degass it with a fizzx and age it.
I think it will be fantastic, drunk cold in the upcoming summer or the
next year.

Patience.

Luc

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 17:42:44 -0800, Sportinus wrote:

> Below is my attempt at the wine in Terry Gareys book (apple wine)
>
> 1/14/2007 Apple wine
> Recipe The Joy of Home WineMaking by Terry Garey (pg 24)
> 12oz can of frozen apple juice concentrate Old Orchard
> 6oz of lemonade concentrate Minute Maid
> 30oz (3 jars) of apple blossom honey Love Creek Orchards
> ˝ tsp pectic enzyme
> ˝ tsp yeast neutralizer
> 1.100 hydrometer at 84° F SG
> Wyeast Labs 4766 Cider smack pack
> Topped off up to 1 gallon.
> Fermented at 64.7°-65.6° F
> 1/25/07 1.008 hydrometer at 65° F
>
> What should the sample taste like? It tastes a little sour/harsh with
> my untrained tongue. Will it soften as it ages? How does one train
> the palate (sp?) to recognize appropriate flavors? Any body in the
> Chicagoland area? I'm in a western burb.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

> Apple wine is always harsh at the beginning.

It sure is and this is pretty young. It sounds like a lot of both acid
and especially alcohol if it ferments any further. I think apple wines
should skirt the lower end of alcohol, maybe no more that 10% V/V and
are probably better sweeter than dryer. A little sugar can go a long
way.

The only training that seems to be worth a lot is experience...

Joe

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Hi,
I've made a lot of Terry Garey's wines, in fact that's how I started making
wine. Your wine is very, very young (and raw) and really won't taste very
good. But it is good to try when it is young just to learn how it does
taste, so that you can see how better it can get over time. Patience is the
key to making wine. I remember trying my first few wines when they were very
young 3-6 months old, and then I was waiting until the wines were 7 months
old, 9 months, 1 1/2 years old, 2 years old.... As you taste along the way,
you'll figure out what you like best. Keep notes to look back on, and then
craft your wines to how you like them. I'm north of Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
Welcome to the group.
Darlene ;o)

"Sportinus" > wrote in message
ups.com...
Below is my attempt at the wine in Terry Gareys book (apple wine)

1/14/2007 Apple wine
Recipe The Joy of Home WineMaking by Terry Garey (pg 24)
12oz can of frozen apple juice concentrate Old Orchard
6oz of lemonade concentrate Minute Maid
30oz (3 jars) of apple blossom honey Love Creek Orchards
˝ tsp pectic enzyme
˝ tsp yeast neutralizer
1.100 hydrometer at 84° F SG
Wyeast Labs 4766 Cider smack pack
Topped off up to 1 gallon.
Fermented at 64.7°-65.6° F
1/25/07 1.008 hydrometer at 65° F

What should the sample taste like? It tastes a little sour/harsh with
my untrained tongue. Will it soften as it ages? How does one train
the palate (sp?) to recognize appropriate flavors? Any body in the
Chicagoland area? I'm in a western burb.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Jan 26, 8:51 pm, "Dar V" > wrote:
> Hi,
> I've made a lot of Terry Garey's wines, in fact that's how I started making
> wine. Your wine is very, very young (and raw) and really won't taste very
> good. But it is good to try when it is young just to learn how it does
> taste, so that you can see how better it can get over time. Patience is the
> key to making wine. I remember trying my first few wines when they were very
> young 3-6 months old, and then I was waiting until the wines were 7 months
> old, 9 months, 1 1/2 years old, 2 years old.... As you taste along the way,
> you'll figure out what you like best. Keep notes to look back on, and then
> craft your wines to how you like them. I'm north of Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
> Welcome to the group.
> Darlene ;o)
>
> "Sportinus" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
> Below is my attempt at the wine in Terry Gareys book (apple wine)
>
> 1/14/2007 Apple wine
> Recipe The Joy of Home WineMaking by Terry Garey (pg 24)
> 12oz can of frozen apple juice concentrate Old Orchard
> 6oz of lemonade concentrate Minute Maid
> 30oz (3 jars) of apple blossom honey Love Creek Orchards
> ˝ tsp pectic enzyme
> ˝ tsp yeast neutralizer
> 1.100 hydrometer at 84° F SG
> Wyeast Labs 4766 Cider smack pack
> Topped off up to 1 gallon.
> Fermented at 64.7°-65.6° F
> 1/25/07 1.008 hydrometer at 65° F
>
> What should the sample taste like? It tastes a little sour/harsh with
> my untrained tongue. Will it soften as it ages? How does one train
> the palate (sp?) to recognize appropriate flavors? Any body in the
> Chicagoland area? I'm in a western burb.

I racked this to a secondary on 1/28 but now it appears to have
whittish stuff forming at the top. I assume this is an infection?
Any way to solve it or just start over?

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Feb 1, 3:42 pm, "Sportinus" > wrote:
> On Jan 26, 8:51 pm, "Dar V" > wrote:
>

> > Hi,
> > I've made a lot of Terry Garey's wines, in fact that's how I started making
> > wine. Your wine is very, very young (and raw) and really won't taste very
> > good. But it is good to try when it is young just to learn how it does
> > taste, so that you can see how better it can get over time. Patience is the
> > key to making wine. I remember trying my first few wines when they were very
> > young 3-6 months old, and then I was waiting until the wines were 7 months
> > old, 9 months, 1 1/2 years old, 2 years old.... As you taste along the way,
> > you'll figure out what you like best. Keep notes to look back on, and then
> > craft your wines to how you like them. I'm north of Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
> > Welcome to the group.
> > Darlene ;o)

> > "Sportinus" > wrote in message

> oups.com...
> > Below is my attempt at the wine in Terry Gareys book (apple wine)

> > 1/14/2007 Apple wine
> > Recipe The Joy of Home WineMaking by Terry Garey (pg 24)
> > 12oz can of frozen apple juice concentrate Old Orchard
> > 6oz of lemonade concentrate Minute Maid
> > 30oz (3 jars) of apple blossom honey Love Creek Orchards
> > ˝ tsp pectic enzyme
> > ˝ tsp yeast neutralizer
> > 1.100 hydrometer at 84° F SG
> > Wyeast Labs 4766 Cider smack pack
> > Topped off up to 1 gallon.
> > Fermented at 64.7°-65.6° F
> > 1/25/07 1.008 hydrometer at 65° F

> > What should the sample taste like? It tastes a little sour/harsh with
> > my untrained tongue. Will it soften as it ages? How does one train
> > the palate (sp?) to recognize appropriate flavors? Any body in the
> > Chicagoland area? I'm in a western burb.

> I racked this to a secondary on 1/28 but now it appears to have
> whittish stuff forming at the top. I assume this is an infection?
> Any way to solve it or just start over?- Hide quoted text -

Is it topped up and is this a dry looking film? If not topped, do
that. First float that white stuff out by overflowing the container.
Then give it a dose of sulfite after wiping out the neck with a
sulfite soaked paper towel. Never give up, most mistakes can be
salvaged if caught in time.

Joe

need some advice sf[_9_] General Cooking 2 23-08-2012 01:20 AM
Need advice Pits09 General Cooking 6 16-11-2009 04:01 PM
SOS , Need Advice Dana L General 1 22-12-2008 10:00 PM
Advice Brian Mailman Preserving 3 02-04-2005 12:00 AM
Superauto advice (UK based but any advice on machines appreciated) Copterman Coffee 5 24-12-2004 07:47 PM