Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default need some advice

The September issue of Bon Appétit has a recipe for Lima Beans with
Red Wine Vinaigrette on the page following a recipe for Slow-Roasted
Glazed Pork Shoulder. My goodness, they look good together!

I'm braising a boneless chuck roast in red wine today, and have fast
soaked some small white (aka: Navy) beans. This is the point where I
need some advice about what track to take. I've never served white
beans of any sort with beef, unless (maybe) they were Boston Baked.
I'm thinking that if I cooked them in vegetable broth (Swanson's
Flavor Boost was a good buy), they would be good plain as a side
dish... but I've also got that vinaigrette lurking in the back of my
head. I have some crumbled, herbed feta purchased from Trader Joe's
that I could mix in if I went the vinaigrette route.... I could add
tomato and fresh basil too. It's just that I'm not sure how a bean
salad with Mediterranean flavors would go with beef braised in red
wine.

Should I forget it and go with something I know would work, like
mashed potatoes? I need advice and alternative ideas if you don't
think they would work together in any form. TIA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> The September issue of Bon Appétit has a recipe for Lima Beans with
> Red Wine Vinaigrette on the page following a recipe for Slow-Roasted
> Glazed Pork Shoulder. My goodness, they look good together!
>
> I'm braising a boneless chuck roast in red wine today, and have fast
> soaked some small white (aka: Navy) beans. This is the point where I
> need some advice about what track to take. I've never served white
> beans of any sort with beef, unless (maybe) they were Boston Baked.
> I'm thinking that if I cooked them in vegetable broth (Swanson's
> Flavor Boost was a good buy), they would be good plain as a side
> dish... but I've also got that vinaigrette lurking in the back of my
> head. I have some crumbled, herbed feta purchased from Trader Joe's
> that I could mix in if I went the vinaigrette route.... I could add
> tomato and fresh basil too. It's just that I'm not sure how a bean
> salad with Mediterranean flavors would go with beef braised in red
> wine.
>
> Should I forget it and go with something I know would work, like
> mashed potatoes? I need advice and alternative ideas if you don't
> think they would work together in any form. TIA

I might save the beans with vinaigrette, tomato, and basil for lunch the
next day. You could have an open-faced chuck roast sandwich with the
beans.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> sf <> wrote:
>
>> The September issue of Bon Appétit has a recipe for Lima Beans with
>> Red Wine Vinaigrette on the page following a recipe for Slow-Roasted
>> Glazed Pork Shoulder. My goodness, they look good together!
>>
>> I'm braising a boneless chuck roast in red wine today, and have fast
>> soaked some small white (aka: Navy) beans. This is the point where I
>> need some advice about what track to take. I've never served white
>> beans of any sort with beef, unless (maybe) they were Boston Baked.
>> I'm thinking that if I cooked them in vegetable broth (Swanson's
>> Flavor Boost was a good buy), they would be good plain as a side
>> dish... but I've also got that vinaigrette lurking in the back of my
>> head. I have some crumbled, herbed feta purchased from Trader Joe's
>> that I could mix in if I went the vinaigrette route.... I could add
>> tomato and fresh basil too. It's just that I'm not sure how a bean
>> salad with Mediterranean flavors would go with beef braised in red
>> wine.
>>
>> Should I forget it and go with something I know would work, like
>> mashed potatoes? I need advice and alternative ideas if you don't
>> think they would work together in any form. TIA

I say go for the white beans as a good plain side. We often serve rather
bland potatoes or rice with well-seasoned roast. Sounds good to me. Polly

Need advice Pits09 General Cooking 6 16-11-2009 04:01 PM
SOS , Need Advice Dana L General 1 22-12-2008 10:00 PM
Advice Brian Mailman Preserving 3 02-04-2005 12:00 AM
Advice Brian Mailman Preserving 0 01-04-2005 05:37 PM
Superauto advice (UK based but any advice on machines appreciated) Copterman Coffee 5 24-12-2004 07:47 PM