Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Making wine into Vinegar...

I'm looking around and not sure I can find how to make oxidized wine
into vinegar. I ended up with 9 bottles of Pinot Noir that had oxidized
from poor bulk aging - and wondered, do I need to do anything to use it
as vinegar?
I saw one recipe that said add 40% real vinegar and you end up with red
wine vinegar. hmm. Is it that simple?

thanks for any advice.
DAve
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

> I'm looking around and not sure I can find how to make oxidized wine
> into vinegar. I ended up with 9 bottles of Pinot Noir that had oxidized
> from poor bulk aging - and wondered, do I need to do anything to use it
> as vinegar?

I don't know if that will work out well, I'm not sure if you can make
good vinegar from bad wine. I guess it depends on how oxidixed it is.

> I saw one recipe that said add 40% real vinegar and you end up with red
> wine vinegar. hmm. Is it that simple?

Not for me...

I use one part live vinegar to the following:

Two parts wine added to one part water.

The amount of sufite in the wine should be low to none; adding th water
helps that but is really done to lower the alcohol to around 9 %.

It has to be live venegar, if it came from the store it may be
pastuerized.

Joe
Joe

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Thanks, Joe. I'll give it a try, since I have nothing to lose but 9
bottles of brown edged wine. smile.
thanks for the info.

DAve

Joe Sallustio wrote:
>> I'm looking around and not sure I can find how to make oxidized wine
>> into vinegar. I ended up with 9 bottles of Pinot Noir that had oxidized
>> from poor bulk aging - and wondered, do I need to do anything to use it
>> as vinegar?

> I don't know if that will work out well, I'm not sure if you can make
> good vinegar from bad wine. I guess it depends on how oxidixed it is.
>

>> I saw one recipe that said add 40% real vinegar and you end up with red
>> wine vinegar. hmm. Is it that simple?
>>

> Not for me...
>
> I use one part live vinegar to the following:
>
> Two parts wine added to one part water.
>
> The amount of sufite in the wine should be low to none; adding th water
> helps that but is really done to lower the alcohol to around 9 %.
>

> It has to be live venegar, if it came from the store it may be
> pastuerized.
>
> Joe
> Joe

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

> I'll give it a try, since I have nothing to lose but 9
> bottles of brown edged wine.

I realize which wine you are talking about, now, it should be fine.
Most of what I make vinegar from now is wine I'm just not too fond of
for whatever reason. Sometimes it is wine that is past it's prime; I'm
thinking yours is like that and it turns out fine for me.

Joe

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Great, Joe. thanks for the info.
DAve

Joe Sallustio wrote:
>> I'll give it a try, since I have nothing to lose but 9
>> bottles of brown edged wine.

> I realize which wine you are talking about, now, it should be fine.
> Most of what I make vinegar from now is wine I'm just not too fond of
> for whatever reason. Sometimes it is wine that is past it's prime; I'm
> thinking yours is like that and it turns out fine for me.
>
> Joe

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

I found my good reference for making vinegar, It Jackish's book Modern
Winemaking. The last 4 pages go into it pretty well. Pino is looking
to do this too so if I can summarize easily I'll post as a separate
thread.

Joe

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Joe Sallustio wrote:
> I found my good reference for making vinegar, It Jackish's book Modern
> Winemaking. The last 4 pages go into it pretty well. Pino is looking
> to do this too so if I can summarize easily I'll post as a separate
> thread.

Hi Joe
Yes that would be very usefull.
I am trying a new batch now with your latest suggestions. One quick
question I have; when using wide mouth jars 6" or so how do you secure
the top. In the past I have simply put a paper towel secured by an
elastic band . But this may have let too much air in.
thanks
Pino

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

> Hi Joe
> Yes that would be very usefull.
> I am trying a new batch now with your latest suggestions. One quick
> question I have; when using wide mouth jars 6" or so how do you secure
> the top. In the past I have simply put a paper towel secured by an
> elastic band . But this may have let too much air in.
> thanks

That should be fine. I use gallon jugs or carboys and I just took a 4
x 4 gauze pad and a rubber-band. I don't think it can get too much
air.

Joe