Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Making Wine Vinegar

My grandmother always made wine, and sometimes vinegar. I have not made
either and no longer have family alive of the generations that could
advise me from their experience. My new cookbook (Giulliano Bugialli's
"Foods of Naples and Campania") gives simple instructions for the making
of vinegar using bread as the mother and a dry red wine. It sounds worth
a try and certainly couldn't be easier.
I have an opened bottle of Walasiyi Wine Country Blood Mountain Red from
Georgia that was a tad "rich" for my liking as a table wine. Someone
likened it to port, if that helps describe it?
Do you think this would be an appropriate wine to give vinegar making a
shot with? Of course if I'm not going to drink it I have little to
lose, but I'd use it to cook with otherwise.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 16:34:47 -0500, Goomba38 >
wrote:

>My grandmother always made wine, and sometimes vinegar. I have not made
>either and no longer have family alive of the generations that could
>advise me from their experience. My new cookbook (Giulliano Bugialli's
>"Foods of Naples and Campania") gives simple instructions for the making
>of vinegar using bread as the mother and a dry red wine. It sounds worth
>a try and certainly couldn't be easier.
>I have an opened bottle of Walasiyi Wine Country Blood Mountain Red from
>Georgia that was a tad "rich" for my liking as a table wine. Someone
>likened it to port, if that helps describe it?
>Do you think this would be an appropriate wine to give vinegar making a
>shot with? Of course if I'm not going to drink it I have little to
>lose, but I'd use it to cook with otherwise.

I say go for it. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, goomba38
@comcast.net says...
> My grandmother always made wine, and sometimes vinegar. I have not made
> either and no longer have family alive of the generations that could
> advise me from their experience. My new cookbook (Giulliano Bugialli's
> "Foods of Naples and Campania") gives simple instructions for the making
> of vinegar using bread as the mother and a dry red wine. It sounds worth
> a try and certainly couldn't be easier.
> I have an opened bottle of Walasiyi Wine Country Blood Mountain Red from
> Georgia that was a tad "rich" for my liking as a table wine. Someone
> likened it to port, if that helps describe it?
> Do you think this would be an appropriate wine to give vinegar making a
> shot with? Of course if I'm not going to drink it I have little to
> lose, but I'd use it to cook with otherwise.

My guess is that it won't hurt to try. You could end up with some good
vinegar, and if you keep an eye on it to make sure that it doesn't go
completely south and turn moldy, it should still be useful for cooking
no matter what.

Personally, I've had mixed luck trying to make vinegar from table wine,
and not done it enough or researched it to understand what works and
what doesn't.

I've used the "mother of vinegar" from organic unfiltered vinegars of
various types as a starter, and sometimes it takes, sometimes it
doesn't. When it does take, I've gotten some good, if unremarkable wine
vinegar. If it doesn't take, but still smells OK, I'll pour the liquid
into ice cube trays and freeze for use in everyday cooking. If any
nastiness is in evidence, I use it as a combination drain cleaner and
septic system nutrient.

Good luck,
Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:

> My grandmother always made wine, and sometimes vinegar. I have not made
> either and no longer have family alive of the generations that could
> advise me from their experience. My new cookbook (Giulliano Bugialli's
> "Foods of Naples and Campania") gives simple instructions for the making
> of vinegar using bread as the mother and a dry red wine. It sounds worth
> a try and certainly couldn't be easier.
> I have an opened bottle of Walasiyi Wine Country Blood Mountain Red from
> Georgia that was a tad "rich" for my liking as a table wine. Someone
> likened it to port, if that helps describe it?
> Do you think this would be an appropriate wine to give vinegar making a
> shot with? Of course if I'm not going to drink it I have little to
> lose, but I'd use it to cook with otherwise.

Give it a go It's worth a try. A couple of months ago, there was a
recipe to make and an article about red wine vinegar in the September
2006 Food & Wine magazine. Here are the references:

<http://www.foodandwine.com/invoke.cf...F3A4.ASIDEBARS[1]>
<http://tinyurl.com/yyb28d>

and

<http://www.foodandwine.com/articles/the-virtue-of-homemade-vinegar>
<http://tinyurl.com/yxtfqt>

HTH, Sky
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:
> My grandmother always made wine, and sometimes vinegar. I have not made
> either and no longer have family alive of the generations that could
> advise me from their experience. My new cookbook (Giulliano Bugialli's
> "Foods of Naples and Campania") gives simple instructions for the making
> of vinegar using bread as the mother and a dry red wine. It sounds worth
> a try and certainly couldn't be easier.
> I have an opened bottle of Walasiyi Wine Country Blood Mountain Red from
> Georgia that was a tad "rich" for my liking as a table wine. Someone
> likened it to port, if that helps describe it?
> Do you think this would be an appropriate wine to give vinegar making a
> shot with? Of course if I'm not going to drink it I have little to
> lose, but I'd use it to cook with otherwise.

here is a tip. Add one half glass of sulphited wine to a vat of
fermenting wine, and the entire mother will die. So, storebought wine
is out.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 > wrote:

> My grandmother always made wine, and sometimes vinegar. I have not made
> either and no longer have family alive of the generations that could
> advise me from their experience.

There is a vinegar-making FAQ at
<http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/rural-skills/food/recipes/Vinegar-Making.FAQ>.

Victor