Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Help: Automatic Corkscrew needed for Mother

Good morning-

I'm hoping you'll excuse the slightly off-topic post here. I am
desperately trying to find some form of automatic corkscrew. My
searches have turned up nothing- everything that they label as
'automatic' still requires some form of advantaged leverage, and even
that would appear to be too much for my mother to operate.

I did tell her some great new wines are coming out in screw top, and
she said (and I quote- this is hillarious) "I haven't had a screw top
wine since I was 18- and they were AWFUL! I'm not starting again!". I
think some more marketing is in order...

I have seen the CO2 wine poppers that require a needle to be injected
thru the cork and, again, that would appear to require too much force
to do.

The ' Uncorking Machines' are typically bench mounted and still have a
small amount of leverage that may be too difficult for her to operate.

I could probably build one (if I had the time) but I know there's got
to be one out there ready to be gift-wrapped for christmas.

Suggestions welcome-

Jason

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

I think your grandmother has her feet firmly on the ground and knows what
she wants. There is no reason for her to change even if the screwtops work
just as well. My kids gave me a battery operated cork remover last year and
it works just fine. But then I am probably as old as your grandmother and I
still use my manual cork removers. Maybe it is a macho thing or maybe I,
like your grandmother am to old or not old enough to change.

Ray

"spmu" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> wrote:
>> Good morning-
>>
>> I'm hoping you'll excuse the slightly off-topic post here. I am
>> desperately trying to find some form of automatic corkscrew. My
>> searches have turned up nothing- everything that they label as
>> 'automatic' still requires some form of advantaged leverage, and even
>> that would appear to be too much for my mother to operate.
>>
>> I did tell her some great new wines are coming out in screw top, and
>> she said (and I quote- this is hillarious) "I haven't had a screw top
>> wine since I was 18- and they were AWFUL! I'm not starting again!". I
>> think some more marketing is in order...
>>
>> I have seen the CO2 wine poppers that require a needle to be injected
>> thru the cork and, again, that would appear to require too much force
>> to do.
>>
>> The ' Uncorking Machines' are typically bench mounted and still have a
>> small amount of leverage that may be too difficult for her to operate.
>>
>> I could probably build one (if I had the time) but I know there's got
>> to be one out there ready to be gift-wrapped for christmas.
>>
>> Suggestions welcome-
>>
>> Jason

> Goto Target.com and search for "battery corkscrew" $19.99...you may or
> maynot get it for Christmas..... good luck..
>
> Sean

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

I have had many type of corkscrews.

Then while touring a Winery I purchased a basic quality made corkscrew that
look like this Multi-Function Corkscrew
29K01.01
http://www.leevalley.com/gifts/page....at=4,104,53217 it is
only priced at about $7.00 CAD.

You can look and try all kind of Automatic corkscrew but in my opinion the
best one I had and still use everyday is the one shown at Lee Valley. It
does not have to be purchased at Lee Valley but make sure that it quality is
very good otherwise it will not work well.

The waiters in Restaurant prefer the two stages lever action. Myself I am
comfortable with the one stage lever action.

I do not know what to do with all these automatic corkscrews received as
gifts. If I throw them away, it will offend those who gave them to me.

"spmu" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> wrote:
>> Good morning-
>>
>> I'm hoping you'll excuse the slightly off-topic post here. I am
>> desperately trying to find some form of automatic corkscrew. My
>> searches have turned up nothing- everything that they label as
>> 'automatic' still requires some form of advantaged leverage, and even
>> that would appear to be too much for my mother to operate.
>>
>> I did tell her some great new wines are coming out in screw top, and
>> she said (and I quote- this is hillarious) "I haven't had a screw top
>> wine since I was 18- and they were AWFUL! I'm not starting again!". I
>> think some more marketing is in order...
>>
>> I have seen the CO2 wine poppers that require a needle to be injected
>> thru the cork and, again, that would appear to require too much force
>> to do.
>>
>> The ' Uncorking Machines' are typically bench mounted and still have a
>> small amount of leverage that may be too difficult for her to operate.
>>
>> I could probably build one (if I had the time) but I know there's got
>> to be one out there ready to be gift-wrapped for christmas.
>>
>> Suggestions welcome-
>>
>> Jason

> Goto Target.com and search for "battery corkscrew" $19.99...you may or
> maynot get it for Christmas..... good luck..
>
> Sean

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Thanks all-

The issue with the leverage is that it's tendon related- she can't make
the proper motion to 'lift' the lever up or jam it downwards. It still
takes quite a bit of force to operate any leveraged cork screw- which
is rapidly becoming practically impossible.

I *never* thought to check out Targets- and they have several- so I'll
be heading over there. The Oester looks pretty slim and it's
rechargeable...

Thanks again!

Jason

wrote:
> I have had many type of corkscrews.
>
> Then while touring a Winery I purchased a basic quality made corkscrew that
> look like this Multi-Function Corkscrew
> 29K01.01

http://www.leevalley.com/gifts/page....at=4,104,53217 it is
> only priced at about $7.00 CAD.
>
> You can look and try all kind of Automatic corkscrew but in my opinion the
> best one I had and still use everyday is the one shown at Lee Valley. It
> does not have to be purchased at Lee Valley but make sure that it quality is
> very good otherwise it will not work well.
>
> The waiters in Restaurant prefer the two stages lever action. Myself I am
> comfortable with the one stage lever action.
>
> I do not know what to do with all these automatic corkscrews received as
> gifts. If I throw them away, it will offend those who gave them to me.
>

> "spmu" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> >
> > wrote:
> >> Good morning-
> >>
> >> I'm hoping you'll excuse the slightly off-topic post here. I am
> >> desperately trying to find some form of automatic corkscrew. My
> >> searches have turned up nothing- everything that they label as
> >> 'automatic' still requires some form of advantaged leverage, and even
> >> that would appear to be too much for my mother to operate.
> >>
> >> I did tell her some great new wines are coming out in screw top, and
> >> she said (and I quote- this is hillarious) "I haven't had a screw top
> >> wine since I was 18- and they were AWFUL! I'm not starting again!". I
> >> think some more marketing is in order...
> >>
> >> I have seen the CO2 wine poppers that require a needle to be injected
> >> thru the cork and, again, that would appear to require too much force
> >> to do.
> >>
> >> The ' Uncorking Machines' are typically bench mounted and still have a
> >> small amount of leverage that may be too difficult for her to operate.
> >>
> >> I could probably build one (if I had the time) but I know there's got
> >> to be one out there ready to be gift-wrapped for christmas.
> >>
> >> Suggestions welcome-
> >>
> >> Jason

> > Goto Target.com and search for "battery corkscrew" $19.99...you may or
> > maynot get it for Christmas..... good luck..
> >
> > Sean

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Sorry, I give you a non pertinent suggestion.

Today, the major wine producers are slowly moving towards screw caps.
It appears to be well accepted by the old and new generation.
I would say because its tendon related It would better for her to try any
corkscrew on your short list before purchasing.

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Thanks all-
>
> The issue with the leverage is that it's tendon related- she can't make
> the proper motion to 'lift' the lever up or jam it downwards. It still
> takes quite a bit of force to operate any leveraged cork screw- which
> is rapidly becoming practically impossible.
>
> I *never* thought to check out Targets- and they have several- so I'll
> be heading over there. The Oester looks pretty slim and it's
> rechargeable...
>
> Thanks again!
>
> Jason
>
> wrote:
>> I have had many type of corkscrews.
>>
>> Then while touring a Winery I purchased a basic quality made corkscrew
>> that
>> look like this Multi-Function Corkscrew
>> 29K01.01

http://www.leevalley.com/gifts/page....at=4,104,53217 it
>> is
>> only priced at about $7.00 CAD.
>>
>> You can look and try all kind of Automatic corkscrew but in my opinion
>> the
>> best one I had and still use everyday is the one shown at Lee Valley. It
>> does not have to be purchased at Lee Valley but make sure that it quality
>> is
>> very good otherwise it will not work well.
>>
>> The waiters in Restaurant prefer the two stages lever action. Myself I
>> am
>> comfortable with the one stage lever action.
>>
>> I do not know what to do with all these automatic corkscrews received as
>> gifts. If I throw them away, it will offend those who gave them to me.
>>

>> "spmu" > wrote in message
>> ups.com...

>> > Goto Target.com and search for "battery corkscrew" $19.99...you may or
>> > maynot get it for Christmas..... good luck..
>> >
>> > Sean

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

> The issue with the leverage is that it's tendon related- she can't make
> the proper motion to 'lift' the lever up or jam it downwards. It still
> takes quite a bit of force to operate any leveraged cork screw- which
> is rapidly becoming practically impossible.

Jason,
If they are out of them see if Presque Isle has any of these:

http://shop.piwine.com/shopsite/prwc/product511.html

It's a wooden counterscrew opener from Italy. It's basically a bell
with two screws that are counter-opposed. You screw the big one into
the cork, then you turn the little one the same way and it extracts the
cork. You could lengthen the arms if she had trouble grasping it.

I bought one just bacause it looked cool and was under $10. I'm on
about my 5th, people see it and I end up giving them away becaue Im an
idiot sometimes. (Free wine with corkscrew, what a racket.) It never
requires much force or dexterity and it's handmade.

Joe

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

> Today, the major wine producers are slowly moving towards screw caps.
> It appears to be well accepted by the old and new generation.

Or, you could get her a bottle of anything from New Zealand and that
will change her mind. I remember the cheap screw tops like MD 20/20
(we called it Mad Dog) from my younger days so know exactly what she
means. It might be translated: Screw top = 'drink for effect' cause
this is not only cheap it ain't really wine...

Joe

Help: My corkscrew broke [email protected] General Cooking 25 26-12-2007 03:05 AM
This Isn't A Corkscrew, Is It? Mark Thorson General Cooking 12 04-10-2007 05:46 AM
Corkscrew Bubba Wine 1 25-07-2005 04:12 AM
corkscrew annie Wine 39 17-05-2004 05:32 PM
Zoom Corkscrew Snowfeet1 General Cooking 1 17-11-2003 09:14 AM