Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default This Isn't A Corkscrew, Is It?

It appears to have a little valve in it.
And why is it in such a fancy box?

http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ330170223246

What would the screw end fit into?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 2, 9:43 pm, Mark Thorson > wrote:
> It appears to have a little valve in it.
> And why is it in such a fancy box?
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ330170223246
>
> What would the screw end fit into?

It's a cask tap, isn't it? The screwish end would go through the bung,
and the tap would regulate the flow.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:
> It appears to have a little valve in it.
> And why is it in such a fancy box?
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ330170223246
>
> What would the screw end fit into?

What do you think it would fit into, it's either a precision
hemorrhoid reamer or a curative for the clap.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> It appears to have a little valve in it.
> And why is it in such a fancy box?
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ330170223246
>
> What would the screw end fit into?

Not corkscrew. Keg tap.

David

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"David Hare-Scott" > wrote in message

> "Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
>> It appears to have a little valve in it.
>> And why is it in such a fancy box?
>>
>> http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ330170223246
>>
>> What would the screw end fit into?

> Not corkscrew. Keg tap.
>
> David

lol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

If I were selling that on Ebay I'd be very careful not to
ship it to Texas or Alambama.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Reg Reg is offline

Mark Thorson wrote:

> It appears to have a little valve in it.
> And why is it in such a fancy box?
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ330170223246
>
> What would the screw end fit into?

It's a wine tap. It's intended mainly for serving very old bottles of wine
where a regular corkscrew might tear apart the cork. It gets inserted right
down through the cork.

Not all that useful, but at that price I'd go for it. Especially with that
cool carrying case. I'll trade you my cheese straightener for it. Or maybe
even my antique basil flayer.

--
Reg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Reg wrote:

> Mark Thorson wrote:
>
> > It appears to have a little valve in it.
> > And why is it in such a fancy box?
> >
> > http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ330170223246
> >
> > What would the screw end fit into?

> It's a wine tap. It's intended mainly for serving very old bottles
> of wine where a regular corkscrew might tear apart the cork.
> It gets inserted right down through the cork.

That's the most convincing explanation yet.
It explains the fancy box. I don't buy wines
that require that kind of treatment, though.

> Not all that useful, but at that price I'd go for it. Especially with
> that cool carrying case. I'll trade you my cheese straightener for it.

But I've already got one of those. Cast iron,
in original paint.

> Or maybe even my antique basil flayer.

Two of those, one with a silver handle, the other ebony. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:
> It appears to have a little valve in it.
> And why is it in such a fancy box?

That box is very typical of precision machine tool cases from the
early 1900s ie. Browne & Sharpe, L. S. Starrett, etc.

I don't think that thingie has anything to do with wine or any other
beverage... to me it appears to be some kind old medical instrument,
some sort of gas valve, something an MD or DDS would use in
administering an anesthetic

http://tinyurl.com/3ajvw2

http://cgi.ebay.com/The-L-S-Starrett...QQcmdZViewItem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> Mark Thorson wrote:
> > It appears to have a little valve in it.
> > And why is it in such a fancy box?

> That box is very typical of precision machine tool cases from the
> early 1900s ie. Browne & Sharpe, L. S. Starrett, etc.
>
> I don't think that thingie has anything to do with wine or any other
> beverage... to me it appears to be some kind old medical instrument,
> some sort of gas valve, something an MD or DDS would use in
> administering an anesthetic
>
> http://tinyurl.com/3ajvw2

It is a surgical tool. It is used to measure the thickness of the skulls of
people who spend all day cruising through Ebay to find things they can't
identify.

Help: My corkscrew broke [email protected] General Cooking 25 26-12-2007 03:05 AM
Oster Corkscrew Fred[_2_] Wine 0 30-09-2007 10:35 AM
Corkscrew Bubba Wine 1 25-07-2005 04:12 AM
corkscrew annie Wine 39 17-05-2004 05:32 PM
Zoom Corkscrew Snowfeet1 General Cooking 1 17-11-2003 09:14 AM