Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default screw top bottles

I'm starting to see screw top bottles a lot more in
our liquor stores than in the past (maybe I've just
moved a little down-scale . Are all commercial
screw top threads the same and is it easy to
purchase new and re-usable caps?

Don

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Screw Top wine bottles are a blight on wine makers. <BIG GRIN>

Answers:

1) No, not all are the same. But many are. (At least, the last three
that I have opened are the same.)
2) New caps are not available. Some re-use the commercial caps. They
are probably OK for short term storage, but not sure about long term
storage.

Polyseal 28mm caps are readily available from many brew stores.
However, they fit almost NO commercial wine bottles. Also I have not
seen any test results of long term wine storage under these caps. I
think they were designed for liquor bottles.

In my experience, you can actually cork most screw top bottles.
Probably OK for short term storage, but not sure about long term
storage.

And you haven't been paying attention to commercial wine trends. You
aren't moving down scale. Screw tops have moved up scale.

Steve

On 13 Nov 2006 16:39:02 -0800, wrote:

>I'm starting to see screw top bottles a lot more in
>our liquor stores than in the past (maybe I've just
>moved a little down-scale . Are all commercial
>screw top threads the same and is it easy to
>purchase new and re-usable caps?
>
>Don

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

> In my experience, you can actually cork most screw top bottles.
> Probably OK for short term storage, but not sure about long term
> storage.

I'd prefer to go to screw tops if they're available and
are as good (or better) than corks. Corking is a pain
and I'm wondering if the days are coming when we
can switch to screw tops.

Might not be for everyone but I'm in this for the wine
and not necessarily the window dressing. It's nice to
have a good looking bottle and label but I don't think
corks really add anything.

Don

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

> 2) New caps are not available. Some re-use the commercial caps.

Yep, that is my understanding also. Those caps are literally rolled
onto the bottle at the time of capping. I doubt anyone will ever make
a cheap home winemaker version of that style capper.

Joe

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Don,
Check with Presque Isle Wine Cellars if you are willing to pay for
bottles; they sell both the bottles and better caps.

I would agree with Steve about long term storage of wine under those; I
just don't know how good they are. You could ask Doug Moorhead what he
thinks at PIWC if you contact them. I am having decent success with
NomaCorc; so far I like everything about them.

Joe

wrote:
> > In my experience, you can actually cork most screw top bottles.
> > Probably OK for short term storage, but not sure about long term
> > storage.

> I'd prefer to go to screw tops if they're available and
> are as good (or better) than corks. Corking is a pain
> and I'm wondering if the days are coming when we
> can switch to screw tops.
>
> Might not be for everyone but I'm in this for the wine
> and not necessarily the window dressing. It's nice to
> have a good looking bottle and label but I don't think
> corks really add anything.
>
> Don

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

> Yep, that is my understanding also. Those caps are literally rolled
> onto the bottle at the time of capping. I doubt anyone will ever make
> a cheap home winemaker version of that style capper.

I don't mind paying more for a cap if it's re-usable.
No more corking is worth something especially if
the caps are usable for 10 or 20 bottlings.

Don

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
jim jim is offline

Wow Don, you must be experienced, it's still by far my favourite bit

I got a portuguese floor standing bottler from the start so I guess I spoiled myself with novice-glee.
Jim

> wrote in message ps.com...
>

>> In my experience, you can actually cork most screw top bottles.
>> Probably OK for short term storage, but not sure about long term
>> storage.

> I'd prefer to go to screw tops if they're available and
> are as good (or better) than corks. Corking is a pain
> and I'm wondering if the days are coming when we
> can switch to screw tops.
>
> Might not be for everyone but I'm in this for the wine
> and not necessarily the window dressing. It's nice to
> have a good looking bottle and label but I don't think
> corks really add anything.
>
> Don

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> I don't mind paying more for a cap if it's re-usable.
> No more corking is worth something especially if
> the caps are usable for 10 or 20 bottlings.
>
> Don

Go to:

http://www.eckraus.com/CL520.html

HTH

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Or you can switch to swing top (Grolsch type) bottles which have
reusable closures. If a seal ever goes bad, you can get replacements
he

http://www.eckraus.com/HOMEBREWING_S...e_1/CL890.html

HTH

"

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

These look much better than some of the push-ins that I have seen.
However, I will repeat the concern that I expressed earlier about long
term storage. Since many (most?) home winemakers don't do the long
term storage, then these are probably fine for many.

BTW, if they fit cork finish bottles, they should also fit most screw
top commercial bottles.

Steve

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 17:43:38 -0500, "frederick ploegman"
> wrote:

>Go to:
>
>http://www.eckraus.com/CL520.html
>
>HTH

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Those are not for long term storage, I use them and think they are good
for about 6 months. If interested in those, a better t-top using
either cork or synthetic might be a better option.

I didn't get the 'most homewinemakers don't do long term storage'
comment. I know I have wines in there from at least 1998. I do think
it's pretty common (at least here) for people to keep reds for a few
years at least. I would agree that when I was newer at this I didn't
have the patience or the 'reserves' to let it age though...

Joe
Steve wrote:
> These look much better than some of the push-ins that I have seen.
> However, I will repeat the concern that I expressed earlier about long
> term storage. Since many (most?) home winemakers don't do the long
> term storage, then these are probably fine for many.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

> Wow Don, you must be experienced, it's still by far my favourite bit

Nah I just have kids which is inversely related
to free time. Between making beer, wine, the
cottage, the house, work, hunting, renewing
licenses, and the kids, I'm all corked out.

Don

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

> Go to:
>
> http://www.eckraus.com/CL520.html

Have you used these Fred, are they good for
semi-long term storage - 2 to 4 years?

Don

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

> wrote in message
oups.com...

>> Go to:
>>
>> http://www.eckraus.com/CL520.html
>>

> Have you used these Fred, are they good for
> semi-long term storage - 2 to 4 years?
>
> Don

Yes.......and yes. The old ones were solid red in color. I keyed on the
word "reusable" and these were the two methods that I used successfully.
However, go to:

http://www.eckraus.com/Miscellaneous_Closures.html

The cork "t-tops" that Joe is talking about are called "Mushroom corks"
by Kraus. These are also good but have to be stored on their sides to
keep the cork wet and_cannot_be reused. The "Plastic wine stoppers"
that you see there are reusable but are_extremely_hard to remove and
I threw out the rest of what I had after trying them.

If you are going to use Red Tops:
1. If you want to reuse them, use only with "cork finished" wine bottles.
2. Make sure you store them in the upright position and_not_on their
sides.

HTH

Frederick

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

I run a Ferment on Premises in BC Canada. Very few of my in-store or
at-home customers actually age their wine. Doesn't matter what I say
or recommend. Some do, but they are definitely in the minority.

The people on the usenet & internet forums are much different than the
average 'home winemaker'.

I stand by my statement.

Steve

On 15 Nov 2006 01:25:20 -0800, "Joe Sallustio" >
wrote:

>I didn't get the 'most homewinemakers don't do long term storage'
>comment. I know I have wines in there from at least 1998. I do think
>it's pretty common (at least here) for people to keep reds for a few
>years at least. I would agree that when I was newer at this I didn't
>have the patience or the 'reserves' to let it age though...
>

>Joe
>Steve wrote:
>> These look much better than some of the push-ins that I have seen.
>> However, I will repeat the concern that I expressed earlier about long
>> term storage. Since many (most?) home winemakers don't do the long
>> term storage, then these are probably fine for many.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

> The cork "t-tops" that Joe is talking about are called "Mushroom corks"
> by Kraus. These are also good but have to be stored on their sides to
> keep the cork wet and_cannot_be reused. The "Plastic wine stoppers"
> that you see there are reusable but are_extremely_hard to remove and
> I threw out the rest of what I had after trying them.

I can't believe that someone isn't making re-usuable plastic
screw tops. I've read in the past some articles about Australian
Riesling makers rating all methods and screw tops coming
out as the best.. I think it's only a matter of time and it's
probably best to stick with corks until someone comes out
with re-usable screw tops.

Don

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Don,
They do make reusable screw tops, they have one that has a conical
plastic insert for the seal. I never used it for long term wine aging
though, I use it on vinegar bottles. It's nothing like what the
Aussies are talking about though.

Joe

> I can't believe that someone isn't making re-usuable plastic
> screw tops. I've read in the past some articles about Australian
> Riesling makers rating all methods and screw tops coming
> out as the best.. I think it's only a matter of time and it's
> probably best to stick with corks until someone comes out
> with re-usable screw tops.
>
> Don

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Those are called polyseal caps. I have seen them in 28mm & 38mm. The
38mm fit some gallon jugs. The 28mm fit very few wine bottles (eg
Arbor Mist). Some retailers sell bottles that are designed to take
these caps.

I am not aware of any testing on aging with these caps. Thus I would
recommend for short term only. Personally I wouldn't use them. I
don't have many bottles that they fit anyway.

Steve

On 16 Nov 2006 14:08:26 -0800, "Joe Sallustio" >
wrote:

>Don,
>They do make reusable screw tops, they have one that has a conical
>plastic insert for the seal. I never used it for long term wine aging
>though, I use it on vinegar bottles. It's nothing like what the
>Aussies are talking about though.
>
>Joe

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

I have used them for a while now... The oldest wine I have with them
is about 5 years old. It is great so far.

Later,
A. J.

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 05:21:40 GMT, Steve
> wrote:

>Those are called polyseal caps. I have seen them in 28mm & 38mm. The
>38mm fit some gallon jugs. The 28mm fit very few wine bottles (eg
>Arbor Mist). Some retailers sell bottles that are designed to take
>these caps.
>
>I am not aware of any testing on aging with these caps. Thus I would
>recommend for short term only. Personally I wouldn't use them. I
>don't have many bottles that they fit anyway.
>
>Steve
>

>On 16 Nov 2006 14:08:26 -0800, "Joe Sallustio" >
>wrote:
>
>>Don,
>>They do make reusable screw tops, they have one that has a conical
>>plastic insert for the seal. I never used it for long term wine aging
>>though, I use it on vinegar bottles. It's nothing like what the
>>Aussies are talking about though.
>>
>>Joe

The Anchorage Fishwrapper and Litterbox Liner Press
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

> I can't believe that someone isn't making re-usuable plastic
> screw tops. <self snip>

I went down to the local wine store and scanned
the availablibility of screw tops.There were alot.
My guess is that if the bottle threads are standard
then it won't be long before someone starts selling
re-usable screw caps. It's a market with a
vacuum.

Don

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

I agree that there is becoming a market for this. Although in my
store the number of queries on replacement screw caps is down the last
few months.

I wonder if the perceived volume is sufficient to get someone to do
it.

Steve

On 19 Nov 2006 05:19:33 -0800, wrote:

>> I can't believe that someone isn't making re-usuable plastic
>> screw tops. <self snip>

>I went down to the local wine store and scanned
>the availablibility of screw tops.There were alot.
>My guess is that if the bottle threads are standard
>then it won't be long before someone starts selling
>re-usable screw caps. It's a market with a
>vacuum.
>
>Don

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

> I agree that there is becoming a market for this. Although in my
> store the number of queries on replacement screw caps is down the last
> few months.
>
> I wonder if the perceived volume is sufficient to get someone to do
> it.

Exactly what I was thinking, it would be good if
we could query a cap maker to get them thinking.
Like the people that make the green plastic beer
1l beer bottles. They come with I believe reusable
screw caps.

Don

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Stelvin & Auscap are the two companies that I know of that make these
caps. Unfortunately their caps are applied as a sleeve and then a
machine rolls the caps to fit the bottles creating the screw threads
etc. Presumably they would have little interest in adapting their
high volume production lines to create caps for winemakers.
Especially as we would probably not want the tamper proof skirting.

The caps for plastic beer bottges are made by the companies that make
caps for pop bottles. No changes to the equipment.

Steve

On 20 Nov 2006 18:48:23 -0800, wrote:

>> I agree that there is becoming a market for this. Although in my
>> store the number of queries on replacement screw caps is down the last
>> few months.
>>
>> I wonder if the perceived volume is sufficient to get someone to do
>> it.

>Exactly what I was thinking, it would be good if
>we could query a cap maker to get them thinking.
>Like the people that make the green plastic beer
>1l beer bottles. They come with I believe reusable
>screw caps.
>
>Don

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

> wrote in message
oups.com...

>> The cork "t-tops" that Joe is talking about are called "Mushroom corks"
>> by Kraus. These are also good but have to be stored on their sides to
>> keep the cork wet and_cannot_be reused. The "Plastic wine stoppers"
>> that you see there are reusable but are_extremely_hard to remove and
>> I threw out the rest of what I had after trying them.

> I can't believe that someone isn't making re-usuable plastic
> screw tops. I've read in the past some articles about Australian
> Riesling makers rating all methods and screw tops coming
> out as the best.. I think it's only a matter of time and it's
> probably best to stick with corks until someone comes out
> with re-usable screw tops.
>
> Don

Even if you decide not to use them for long term storage, it's nice to
have a few dozen around for use on "quick" wines and top up wines.

As always, just one man's personal opinion. HTH

Frederick