Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Degassing

Hooked up a vacuum pump to a bung and brought the vacuum up to 20".
Seems to be a lot of gas bubbling out of the wine. Anyone else try
this method or have any input? Besides carboy implosion if vacuum
brought up too high.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

It will take the gas out but it will also remove a lot of volitiles that you
do not necessarily want to remove. But then if you are in a hurry...

Ray

"Ray" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hooked up a vacuum pump to a bung and brought the vacuum up to 20".
> Seems to be a lot of gas bubbling out of the wine. Anyone else try
> this method or have any input? Besides carboy implosion if vacuum
> brought up too high.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

> > Hooked up a vacuum pump to a bung and brought the vacuum up to 20".
> > Seems to be a lot of gas bubbling out of the wine. Anyone else try
> > this method or have any input? Besides carboy implosion if vacuum
> > brought up too high.
> >

> It will take the gas out but it will also remove a lot of volitiles that you
> do not necessarily want to remove. But then if you are in a hurry...

I seem to remember the same thing being said of
those rubber stoppers for left over wine, the ones
with one way "valves" on them where you have a
little hand pump to remove the air. They to were
said to remove the volatiles as well.

Don

Degassing Your Wine JB Wine 4 01-08-2007 12:34 AM
degassing Ric Winemaking 2 28-09-2006 07:33 PM
Degassing Robin & Dianne Winemaking 6 22-02-2006 03:01 PM
Degassing PA-ter Winemaking 1 29-11-2004 12:42 AM
Degassing Jason Thomas Winemaking 5 05-01-2004 03:04 PM